AR XA turntable

tubeboob

Picked up an Acoustic Research XA turntable this weekend.

Missing the headshell. Belt is too loose.

Cosmetically could uses good clean up.

Untested.

Paid a little bit, but now I come to know that the headshells are darn nigh impossible to locate at a fair price.

Also learned that the option is to use Technics arm/parts.

Any advise?

Sure does look interesting.

Cheers

Keep you eye on ebay....sometimes you can get one for a reasonable cost. They're getting more and more rare......thus the high prices.

As for changing it to the Technics arm/parts, I've never done it but others have and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Either way, once you get it up and running you'll find it a very enjoyable listening experience.

Good luck,

John

It sure would have been better knowing the head shell situation before buying, but you do have a great platform for modding. Lots of information on these tables. Rega tonearms are a popular mod for this table. Google Vinyl Nirvana for a good overview on what can be done with the ARXA.

Mine was in great shape, so I lucked out.

If I can locate it, I have a headshell that somebody (before I got it) attempted to solder on. I will be happy to give it to you if you would like to mess with it and see if it's salvageable.

I am surprised no one has made an after market shell for the XA. I have an original on my XA, but would pay for a nice metal one.

I am surprised no one has made an after market shell for the XA. I have an original on my XA, but would pay for a nice metal one.

The headshell on an XA/XB is probably the most complicated piece on the table. The start-up costs on manufacture to fit "as is" would be astronomical.

The plastic shell is likely a part of the arm's calculated performance, given Edgar's 'global' approach.

I was hoping that with the advances in computerized industrial machines that someone could make new ones, even if they used a similar plastic. I won't hold my breath, while treating it with kid gloves. Anyway, cool find tubeboob. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Wait, here is a better solution. The manual that came with my XA says I can send away for a new headshell for 2 dollars, might as well get two and a dust cover for only another 3 bucks.

Sounds like I need an XA to go with my collection of turntables that use funky specific headshells that have no aftermarket option. So far its 3 different Garrards and a Thorens.

Wait, here is a better solution. The manual that came with my XA says I can send away for a new headshell for 2 dollars, might as well get two and a dust cover for only another 3 bucks.

Platter mats were the same price, one turned into goo and the other turned into gold.

There is a black one on ebay right now, for a fair price.
I've read that the black ones are better/more durable than the grey ones. Don't quote me on that, though.

Back
Top Bottom