Pioneer SX850 relay switching off problem

Well it's back together but I didn't really expect it to be cured. at least I can wiggle the blue wire without the lights flashing now. i am basically back to where I was. In a nutshell the red wires put out 32v
orange 47v
brown and white 0v
green 20v

other side of transformer
blue on pin 24 7.75v
blue on pitchfork connector 0v
white 38.3v
brown 86.8v

all measurements to ground ac
I have the 120vac on the three plugs in the back.
This feels Ok to me,am I ready to go into the power board now?
The right side of my schematic is unreadable sorry to keep asking these questions. Thank you so much, this is a great winter project, by spring it should be ok.

Yantraimages;
I'm in the process of replacing all of my SX-850's AWR-101's electrolytic caps, all Q's and ZD1, ZD2. IMO this seamed a lot easier than trying to figure out if any of them were bad. If you need a copy of any SM pages I'll be glad to scan mine and PM you a copy. Good luck.
Bob Helms

I was thinking along the same line, I tested a few on the board and got weird readings, but I know you have to disconnect from the board to test correctly and if you are removing from the board you might as well replace them. I was looking at the thread on a sx737 ? and the protection board readings they were talking about were way different than what I get on my sx850 but that is a stupid way to look at it since they are different receivers. The list that Mark put up on that thread was great though. If someone has a list of the correct inputs and outputs on the power supply board that would be very useful to me. When I was getting parts the guy at the parts store told me a useful way to remember NPN and PNP, he said when you are looking at the diagram NPN stands for "not pointing in" so if it's pointing in it is a PNP. I like that, helps my brain to not overheat and blow a fuse.

all I have so far are the replacements for Q3, Q5, Q7, Q1, Q8, Q9,Q2,a 1watt13v zener diode, and a 1watt 14v zener. Any suggestions on where i should start?

I finally took screen shots of the schematics which is making my life easier but my power board is an ANP-511-C and that is not what my SX850 documentation is saying.

All my documentation says AWR-101 but my unit has an ANP-511-C
SX850 XE3630374S Made in Japan
It has a sticker "Approved for electrical safety" by "The City of Los Angeles" with a number AS250274 Serial and inspection numbers ending in 74, I wonder if this is a 1974 unit. Sounds about right, I bought it new.

Last edited:
Yantraimages;
The board number is located near the middle of the board, right above the fuses (picture attached). I think the number your looking at is on the foil side of the board.
I started on the end with the two "glued on" caps C10 & C11. Gave me a chance to sniff some Acetone! Them Pioneer techs really loved their glue guns.

Attachments

• DSC00842M1.jpg
    DSC00842M1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
You are absolutely right Bob, that sets my mind at ease, I had flipped it up and was looking at the back foil side. Good, it's an AWR-101c

Well I got a relay from Oak Tree in Colorado Springs and replaced it, but it still won't come on so I guess it's time to start on the transistors on the power board but I am not very good at this sort of thing. Could anyone walk me through testing and replacing the transistors?

So the Power supply voltages are in good order?
What were the protection voltages?
Was it a new 24v relay?

Last edited:
Well I got a relay from Oak Tree in Colorado Springs and replaced it, but it still won't come on so I guess it's time to start on the transistors on the power board but I am not very good at this sort of thing. Could anyone walk me through testing and replacing the transistors?
You DO realize you can buy a brand-new relay from Mouser for less than $10?

Since I found that loose connection in the transformer, Let me check the inputs to the power board again and see if we are ok going into it. DC
pin 16 32v
17 0v
18 0v
19 32v
20 0v
21 .5v
22 7.3v
23 7.3v
24 7.7v
25 46.8v
26 46.8v
27 20v
28 20v

So those are the inputs, now the outputs...ac
pin 1 0v
2 .8v
3 .8v
4 3.7v
5 3.7v
6 17.8v
7 17.8v
8 12v
9 12v
10 12v
11 8.8v
12 0v
13 13v
14 50v
15 -18.5

But you can get a used one for $30 !!! We are not supposed to curse on here huh? It's a used 24 relay out of an old pioneer receiver. Zeb, you want me to check inputs on the protection board, I will anyway...I don't seem to have 24v to the relay. I will probably have some extra relays if anyone needs one, when this is all over.

protection board inputs AC
pin 1 -253.7mv hmmm is that weird?
2 -13.1v
3 -265.3mv
4 0v
5 -253.7mv
6 -253.5mv
7 -266.2mv
8 -266.2mv
9 3.14v
10 12v
11 12v
12 -7.3mv

Just when things were starting to make sense to me I get a bunch of negative millivolts

I have the transistors for Q1, Q8, Q9,Q3,Q5,Q7,and Q2 and a 1watt 13volt zener diode and a 1watt 14volt zener, am I at all on the right track? I am just worried that when I go to replace them I will get something wrong and screw it up more than it already is. There are 6 ways to put them on and only one way is right. The npn and pnp I could figure it out with my meter on the good ones and it made sense to me but if you are figuring out the way to put them on by checking bad transistors the bad readings from a bad transistor could make me think they go on one way, and it could be wrong and then I am causing more harm than good. There are the tiny little diagrams on the board NPN (not pointing in) but then base emitter collector which is marked on my new parts, but I have confusion on how they will go on the board. Sorry, but I am ready to solder transistors, I think. But I could be diagnosing the problem totally wrong. Aaaarg!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom