Looking at a sx-1250 or sx-1280

AndyPrice44

I have been looking at picking up another receiver. I have a pair of dynaco A35s that aren't being used right now and I would like to find something to power them. I started searching for an inexpensive 40-60 wpc receiver and then I came across a sx-1250 here locally. It is a one owner in real good shape. and the guy isn't asking ebay prices for it but it's still expensive.

I already own a kenwood KR-9600 and a sansui 9090 (non db). How do these pioneer units compare to the kenwood and sansui? It looks like they are built like tanks from what I have seen. I've been doing some research on these models and I really like the looks of the sx-1280 better. I just have a thing for VU meters and if I'm going to be buying one or the other, I think I should try to track down the sx-1280. I have a few questions for you pioneer veterans.

Are the sx-1250 and sx-1280 basically the same internally? For those of you that have listened to the kenwoods and sansui's, how does the sound of these pioneers compare to the totl from the other makes?

If you guys come across a fair deal on a sx-1280, shoot me a PM. I really don't want to pay crazy ebay prices but would be willing to pay a fair amount. I might be willing to trade my KR-9600 also.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Even though these models (12x0) are good, they are in my mind over priced unless you get a steal and even then they usually need a lot of work. If you are keen on doing this work, it is a bonus, and the rewards are encouraging, if not, to get someone to do re-hab work is very expensive. Buying one that has been re-habed is very expensive for what you get IMO. :tears:
The 1250 has a better tuner and is easier to repair.
The 1280 looks nicer IMO and has a little more power, uses fancy NEC o/p bjts, which do fail and need sub bjts in a TO-3P or TO-264 pkg.
A 1050 or a 950 are much better deals.
As far as sound quality goes, I have a Pioneer sx-950, Kenwood KR-5030 and a Sansui G-7500. They all sound basically the same, with some minor differences. the pioneer has the better build quality.

Last edited:
These Pioneers are not easy to come by at a reasonable price. If it were me I'd pick up the SX-1250 now and if, and it can be a big if, you come upon an SX-1280 at a price you are willing to pay you can sell the 1250. These Pioneers sound great, that's why they still cost so much money. People tend to prefer the SX-1250 over the SX-1280, though I agree it's nice to have the VU meters.

You indicted that the one you are considering is from the original owner. It is likely that it will work fine and sound great with little or no repairs, though it might need to have the volume control and switches cleaned if you have any issues. If you are handy you can use Deoxit to clean these contacts and controls. Search the forum for Deoxit instructions so you know what to get. The volume pots and tone pots need Deoxit faderlube and the switches need regular Deoxit.

Last edited:
The 1250 is a dream to work on. Boards can be removed to allow for easy access to the transistors and caps. Parts are still available to repair the unit as compared to the xx80 series. Great sound plenty of power. Listen to each one if you get a chance and then go with what your ears like.

My 2 cents.I have a 1250, and briefly had a restored ( pro vintage shop) 8080DB.Many components of the bigger 9090.The Sansui guys say they sound really similar.My 1250 is 100% original, and sounds superb.The 8080 DB had to be the biggest audio purchase mistake I have ever done.The only thing close was the FM performance.The Sansui thing, for me did not work.The phono and power amp stages, not even comparable.I did get the Sansui re checked.Ive been doing this audio thing for 30 years, and have owned countless units.the 1280 has replacement parts issues, which for me was a deal breaker.

In my opinion there is a sound difference between the SX-1250 and the SX-1280, I have had both and after alot of side by side listening with different speakers I decided sell both SX-1250's and keep both SX-1280's.
The SX-1250 sounds a little harsh to me compared to the SX-1280,my guess is that it has to do with the output transistors.
The 50 series are much easier to work on compared to the 80 series though.

I also find the 1280 to have a smoother sound to it- I have restored both the 1250 and 1280. Points go to the build quality of the 1250.

Back
Top Bottom