YAMAHA CA-800 input impedance

Likitysplit

Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got myself a Yamaha CA-800 which I bought from a friend who recently had it serviced. It's in impeccable condition. Just last week I bought a pair of wharfedale diamond 10.2's and I was really blown away by the sound.

My question is: on the back there is a switch labeled "INPUT IMP." With three selections to choose from "100k, 50k & 30k". When I had it on 30k I was only getting sound from one speaker, the right channel. When I switched it to 50k I got sound out of both channel's which sounded great although on closer inspection one side was a lot clearer and louder than the other. When I switched it to 100k there was the tiniest pop and I blew a fuse. Im just wondering what setting should it be on? I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I know I shouldn't have touched the switch with the power on and I know for the future to always test these things with the power off. I've included a photo to make things a bit easier.

Thanks in advance, I will reply to any questions!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 21
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got myself a Yamaha CA-800 which I bought from a friend who recently had it serviced. It's in impeccable condition. Just last week I bought a pair of wharfedale diamond 10.2's and I was really blown away by the sound.

My question is: on the back there is a switch labeled "INPUT IMP." With three selections to choose from "100k, 50k & 30k". When I had it on 30k I was only getting sound from one speaker, the right channel. When I switched it to 50k I got sound out of both channel's which sounded great although on closer inspection one side was a lot clearer and louder than the other. When I switched it to 100k there was the tiniest pop and I blew a fuse. Im just wondering what setting should it be on? I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I know I shouldn't have touched the switch with the power on and I know for the future to always test these things with the power off. I've included a photo to make things a bit easier.

Thanks in advance, I will reply to any questions!

Thats phono input impedance (Z)selection. Sounds like it maybe a little dirty. This switch is to closer match phono cartridges to the phono EQ.If you were using the phono as the source. I can see it possibly influencing the cutout issue. As for blowing fuses, that may be a coincidental second issue.

Thats phono input impedance (Z)selection. Sounds like it maybe a little dirty. This switch is to closer match phono cartridges to the phono EQ.If you were using the phono as the source. I can see it possibly influencing the cutout issue. As for blowing fuses, that may be a coincidental second issue.

Yep I'm using the phono input as the source. What setting should it be set too? Should it make a difference to the output quality? Do you think I should take it to someone and get it checked out?

Thanks for your reply :)

Yep I'm using the phono input as the source. What setting should it be set too? Should it make a difference to the output quality? Do you think I should take it to someone and get it checked out?

Thanks for your reply :)

Depends on what cartridge your using. Look up the specs for your cartridge it should tell you the best selection. Otherwise use the one that sounds the best to you.After you clean that darn switch.:D

Depends on what cartridge your using. Look up the specs for your cartridge it should tell you the best selection. Otherwise use the one that sounds the best to you.After you clean that darn switch.:D

I'm using an Ortofon OM10.

Specifications
Weight: 5g

Stylus type: elliptical

Equivalent stylus tip mass: 0.5mg

Frequency response: 20 to 22,000Hz

Output: 4mV

Channel separation: 22dB

Channel balance: 2dB

Tracking force: 1.5g (1.25-1.75g)

Tracking angle: 20 degrees

FIM distortion: 0.8%

Load resistance: 47k ohm

The part I've bolded, does that mean I should leave the switch on 50k?

Sorry for the noobie questions haha.

Also I will give the switch itself a clean and see if that fixes the sound issue and report back.

Thanks again for your help :thmbsp:

I'm using an Ortofon OM10.

Specifications
Weight: 5g

Stylus type: elliptical

Equivalent stylus tip mass: 0.5mg

Frequency response: 20 to 22,000Hz

Output: 4mV

Channel separation: 22dB

Channel balance: 2dB

Tracking force: 1.5g (1.25-1.75g)

Tracking angle: 20 degrees

FIM distortion: 0.8%

Load resistance: 47k ohm

The part I've bolded, does that mean I should leave the switch on 50k?

Sorry for the noobie questions haha.

Also I will give the switch itself a clean and see if that fixes the sound issue and report back.

Thanks again for your help :thmbsp:

Most likely would be the best (closest) option.

Dear Likitysplit and others,
I also have the same question. I believe that this switch is only for Phono 1. Am i right.
My question is: Where should leave the switch for a common turntable? I have a Sherwood PM9805. I could not find information in the manual.
Really appreciate for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom