Yamaha CA-810 pops

skatermem

I own a yamaha ca-810. Shortly after turning it on (5 minutes) and turning the volume up, the receiver produces a loud pop and than keeps playing sound at half the loudness until i turn it off and back on. It seems to me like something is getting hot, but i don't know where to look. Does anyone have any ideas?

I believe both Volume/Balance and Loudness pots have to be cleaned with DeoxIt first, and then you see if it gets better...

YAMAHA CA810 pops

Hello skatermem

I remember some CA810 come back for repair with this trouble and I just have to tight strong the ground screws under the pcb

I hope that this is your case ...

I believe both Volume/Balance and Loudness pots have to be cleaned with DeoxIt first, and then you see if it gets better...
I ran out of de-oxit awhile back and it seems not to be sold in the area i live in unless i buy it online, any suggestions for other contact cleaners that work?

Hello skatermem

I remember some CA810 come back for repair with this trouble and I just have to tight strong the ground screws under the pcb

I hope that this is your case ...
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be, I tightened the screws underneath the metal cover at the bottom and the screws on the inside sides, and it still happens.

Fixed?

I believe the problem has been solved, turns out since i was missing the pre-out jumpers, i had been using small rca leads, today i thought what the heck and tried thicker rca leads, and it hasn't popped since, i plan on buying the proper jumpers. If anyone has any original jumpers please PM me.

Last edited:
Actually the yamaha ca-810 just popped again. I have looked over mostly all solder joints, and wires, and all seems to be in good condition. What else could be causing it to randomly pop?

... since i was missing the pre-out jumpers, i had been using small rca leads, today i thought what the heck and tried thicker rca leads, and it hasn't popped since...

... Actually the yamaha ca-810 just popped again. I have looked over mostly all solder joints, and wires, and all seems to be in good condition. What else could be causing it to randomly pop?

Do you mean it randomly pops also without touching/turning the Volume or Loundness potentiometers? Could you manage to clean the pots?

Or...

It looks like there's something badly connected, too. Did you check the input board as well? Example, when you move the RCA cables from any source (tuner, Aux, etc), does it pop, too? Same with the RCA leads at pre-out/mains in?

Yes it pops randomly. I had it playing fine for at least 4 hours last night, this morning i turn it on and in about 15 minutes it pops, i wasn't touching the volume controls. The volume control did seem dirty, i put more contact cleaner in it, as for the others, they seem clean, and i did spray them. I have not checked another source, but i will let you know if it happens again. I am using the tuner input. I have also ordered a pair of short rca leads from eBay and the original jumpers from yamaha.

Yes it pops randomly. I had it playing fine for at least 4 hours last night, this morning i turn it on and in about 15 minutes it pops, i wasn't touching the volume controls.

I had a similar problem with a speaker relay in an unit from the 80s, but the one in the CA-810 seems to be "quite reliable".

Sometimes relays have the contacts tarnished... The amp can run smoothly for hours, then suddenly it can produce loads of noise, pops and cracks...

Last edited:
I also had a similar problem with my M-4 Speaker A relay before I clean the contacts on it. Later I went a head and replaced the relay with a new one. Probably should have just replaced it to begin with, but I didn't a spare relay at the time I was having problems.
If you haven't already, you could try using Speaker B outputs to see if your popping problem goes away. Speaker B relay may be in better shape, especially if it was never used.
Barry

picture.php

Hello !

Good idea but there is only one speaker relay in CA810 ! what is true with M2, M4 ,B2, B1, is maybe not for other models ......:no:

I will have to clean the one speaker relay, and see if the problem goes away, and then i will replace it. Thanks everyone, I will let you know what happens. Btw when it pops the volume level goes really quiet but keeps playing, could this be the relay or something else?

Last edited:

Btw when it pops the volume level goes really quiet but keeps playing, could this be the relay or something else?

Yes, it could be the relay as well.

One question: does it happen with both channels (Left + Right)? Or to one channel more than the other?

Consumed/tarnished relay contacts degrade sound quality no matter you try to "clean" them.

Well, when it popped a long time ago, it happened on A. However since than i have been using A+B as i have 4 speakers, and it popped. I will have to do more testing on it to determine if it pops only on A.

Should i go ahead and find/buy a new speaker protection relay? or am i on a wild goose chase?

I'd say so. A brand new relay is always welcome in a vintage amp.

Your relay replacement must be a HC2 24V 5A type...

Something like this:

1217748.jpg

Omron and Panasonic make it.

Pay attention with the pins. Round ones, not flat ones. The above example is fine, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom