CA-2010 meter issues

Sprags

Listening to some LP's last night and now it seems to have an issue with the meters not functioning correctly...or at least I hope that's all it is. The right channel shows the needle hovering in the middle of the meter while the left channel is clearly way in the left zone. That balance is smack dab in the middle. It doesn't matter if the speaker mode is normal, reverse, left, right, or whatever. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to speaker connected to the A or B terminals.

Right now I have Polk Audio TSi300's on A and STAX ear speakers on B.

Suggestions please...Thank you in advance....Blake

Listening via headphones, is the sound volume unbalanced. i.e. louder in the right then the left? Or are they the same?

Listening through Stax Ear Speakers the sound is balanced. I do not own headphones....or ear buds.

Old ones...I got them when I was in college in 1978 or so. I will check when I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Blake

It doesn't matter if I'm listening to speaker connected to the A or B terminals. this is normal because all these positions are connected to the amplifier section and if a trouble exist in A you have it in B, C ....

is it the same if you select MONO ?

I brought this integrated amp to a service tech that's been servicing these since the 70's and he said in the course of going over the entire amp that he repaired the meters. The first days I got it home I powered it up after connecting a source and speakers and they functioned fine. That is both meters were at about the same level which is at about 1/8 to 1/4 max from the left while listening at levels that were no more than at the 9 o'clock position while the balance control is centered. Everything looked fine so I never bothered to take notice until tonight. The right meter is now waving fluctuating more so and it's to the right of center. It's movement is more extreme than the left meter. That is while the left meter moves maybe about .060 of inch through the arc on the meter the right meter is moving about .250 of an inch. The volume levels are the same in both channels. The meters are showing the same no matter what mode I have it in. Whether it's stereo, stereo rev., mono ...the same. Obviously I'm going to bring it back but maybe the tech missed something. Please help!

tech missed something. Please help!
The tech needs to realign the meters per the procedure in the manual.

Now if you had a source with different signals applied to the left and right channels.(CDP,TT, etc.)Your going to frequently show one channel moving more than the other. Unless your in mono mode.Then they should be the same.

After posting my reply earlier this evening I researched 'meters' in this forum and found several that suggest pushing the meter button between the meters a dozen times or so. And it seemed it worked. A few later the meter returned to its odd behavior....I then powered down and switch the source. It workers again! Then a few minutes later it did the same thing. I tried the meter pushbutton again and working...this is making my head hurt....but thank you for the suggestion.

Ps. I also tried different modes and found that mono left or mono right worked..?Then went back and the meter did the same behavior in the right channel...

Only now it seems to fixed itself.

I have a CR-810 Yamaha receiver (same era as yours). On it, the FM center-tuning meter was exhibiting similar intermittent and screwey behavior. Power off, power back on and it would work for an hour, and then not. Or maybe 5 minutes sometimes. Solder connections were solid. 'Tapping' on the meter didn't help. I finally replaced the meter (found a used one on ePay for $12). It's fine now.

After posting my reply earlier this evening I researched 'meters' in this forum and found several that suggest pushing the meter button between the meters a dozen times or so. And it seemed it worked. A few later the meter returned to its odd behavior....I then powered down and switch the source. It workers again! Then a few minutes later it did the same thing. I tried the meter pushbutton again and working...this is making my head hurt....but thank you for the suggestion.

Ps. I also tried different modes and found that mono left or mono right worked..?Then went back and the meter did the same behavior in the right channel...

Only now it seems to fixed itself.

Your meter switch is most likely extremely dirty. Probably needs to be disassembled and cleaned. IMO Trying to spray'm down with deox-it - pretty much a waste of time and deox-it.

Back
Top Bottom