Yamaha S2100 Series

The Fez

Yamaha are introducing two new components here. The A-S2100 integrated (160w) and the CD-S2100 player.

Cheaper variants of the 3000 range..

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 310
  • player.jpg
    player.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 45
A really fine amp...

Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier with MOSFETs

The basic design of the power amp circuit adopts Yamaha’s own, uniquely developed Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier technology. Adopting output elements with the same polarity on the plus and minus sides of the output stage, and also completely separating the NFB (Negative Feedback) circuit and power supply into total of four plus and minus sides of the left and right channels, results in thoroughly symmetric push-pull operation of the output stage, Completely floating the entire power amp circuit from the ground removes any negative impact of minute voltage fluctuations or ground noise.

Moreover, the output elements are comprised of MOSFETs, which provide a warm and natural sonic character. The use of MOSFETs, which have the same polarity on the plus and minus sides, further evolves the ideal of a complete symmetrical design, to eliminate sound quality variations due to difference in polarity—a major distinguishing characteristic of the Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier—resulting in sound with a superior signal-to-noise ratio and superbly well-defined sound field.

30a3xw8.jpg

Those are beautiful. Just for the fun of it, I ran the numbers via the inflation calculator to see what one could have bought for equivalent money back in 1978. $1,000 in 1978 works out to $3,500 now. A CA-2010 retailed for $800. That's not too far off. An A/B test would be interesting, but no Class-A for the S2100 ;-)

Very nice additions to their line of 2 channel audio gear.

They should be good sellers.

A-S2100 amp

New PCB is double sided, plenty of SMD components (at top)...

bgcxuf.jpg

Discrete Phono input board...

10ylxz9.jpg

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! :tresbon:

Last edited:
Just a quick update: I got the amp unboxed and hooked up last night. It is beautiful and the build quality is excellent. I was only able to listen for a short period of time, but my initial impressions are very positive. I currently have an Accuphase E-560 so it is not really a fair comparison, but the Yamaha does very well. It does not have quite the authority of the Accuphase but it sounds very very nice. I need to decide which set of speakers I am going to use with it. I have a pair of JBL S3900 and a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE. They are very different speakers so it is going to take some extended listening time to determine which sound better when paired with the Yamaha. With the Accuphase I prefer the JBLs. More to come...

Those are beautiful. Just for the fun of it, I ran the numbers via the inflation calculator to see what one could have bought for equivalent money back in 1978. $1,000 in 1978 works out to $3,500 now. A CA-2010 retailed for $800. That's not too far off. An A/B test would be interesting, but no Class-A for the S2100 ;-)

Class A is so Twentieth Century... or is that Nineteenth Century?

;-)

EDIT: Just going to "leverage" (leverage; that's no verb!) a fun oppportunity occasioned by this thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

image sources:
CA-1010: http://www.vintageaudiorepair.nl/yamaha/ukyamaha_ca-1010_tk.html
CA-2010: http://www.audio-extasa.eu/popup_add_image.php?pID=99

FWIW, I still find the 21st Century Yamaha '70s styling reboots ironically amusing in their choice to re-deploy the original function selector knobs as tone/balance knobs.

Attachments

• CA1010.jpg
    CA1010.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 270
  • CA2010 (1024x503).jpg
    CA2010 (1024x503).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

I currently have an Accuphase E-560 so it is not really a fair comparison, but the Yamaha does very well. It does not have quite the authority of the Accuphase but it sounds very very nice.

... More to come...

Just wondering if you leave the A-S2100 on for a few days... :scratch2:

I am not passing judgment just yet on the Yamaha. It probably does need to break-in a bit. I don't expect it to match the Accuphase, but if it can get in the ballpark I will be thrilled. I will give it a good month or so of solid listening before I make a final comparison.

I don't expect it to match the Accuphase, but if it can get in the ballpark I will be thrilled. I will give it a good month or so of solid listening before I make a final comparison.

Hi,

Any good comparison between the Accuphase and the AS-2100?

Just wondering how it went... :scratch2:

Hi,

Any good comparison between the Accuphase and the AS-2100?

Just wondering how it went... :scratch2:

I landed Migman's 2100. He decided to keep the Accuphase and I certainly can't blame him. I have heard both and the Accuphase is certainly better but it's also 5x the cash. I wrote about the Yamaha over in the Modern Hifi forum and I find it to be a fantastic amp.

Last edited:
I landed Migman's 2100. He decided to keep the Accuphase and I certainly can't blame him. I have heard both and the Accuphase is certainly better but it's also 5x the cash. I wrote about the Yamaha over in the Modern Hifi forum and I find it to be a fantastic amp.

Nice! I'll read it there! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom