Replacing Lamps on CA-2010

ranf1970

Life without music would be a mistake.
Hey AKers,

Hope this finds you well. I just got a CA-2010 and two bulbs are working (right meter), but the two on the left meter and the one in the middle are not lit. I read in another post that this might be a fuse because usually when one lamp goes out, they all go out.

My question is how to replace the bulbs (if necessary). I'll double check to see if it might be a fuse. I saw this on replacing bulbs for an 810, but it looks different from a 2010: https://sites.google.com/site/vintageaudioprojects/relampingayamahaca-810integratedamp Step by step would be awesome. :D

Any thoughts, advice and encouragement is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

From your description and from looking at the Service Manual (from here: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ca-2010.shtml free to download just sign up) it appears as though a fuse is used for the electrical path for the lamps and if this is true then the fuse is not the problem. The lamps appear to be all on a "lamp circuit card" of their own which a fuse is used for it. "If it were the fuse then all of the lamps would be out" and the fix would be simple by just replacing the fuse to correct the problem. But this is not the case, according to your description. Just three out of the five are out, so those three lamps should be replaced? But since you are going to replace them, then I would replace "all of the lamps" on that circuit card. I would strongly recommend doing this since you'll have the unit entirely open and apart?
Also take into consideration that just maybe the problem could also be in the entire "lamp circuit card" itself? Check for any hairline cracks on the card and all soldering points leading to the lamps themselfs? This could also be the problem, just saying?

Download the Service Manual, purchase the lamps (very important here: find the correct voltage and amperage values for them and purchase). Once you have the lamps, follow the disassembly instructions, locate the lamp circuit card and give it a good inspection with a magnifying glass. If it appears good then replace all the lamps on the board. Re-install the lamp circuit card and everything else then give it a shot. Hopefully everything will turn out right? :scratch2:

Hope this helps and 'good luck'! :thmbsp:

P.S. Just a reminder, keep in mind that anytime you are going to perform any type of maintenance, repairs, work, etc. on any type of electrical unit "ALWAYS UNPLUG" the unit before starting.

Last edited:
Thanks R-2-R! Always unplugged! :yes:

I was just wanting to start with something easy. I do have the service manual and have been looking it over. I'll just replace the fuses due to age. Everything else is working fine. One day when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll think about recapping it. It's a little out of my league right now.

I'll get the correct lamps and follow the instructions on the link since they seem to be fairly similar. I'll also double check with a magnifying glass to see all connections are good.

What would be the best lamps to replace these with? Can you gewt them at Radio Shack? I've seen a few recommendations and I want to make sure to get the right ones.

Thanks again for your insight!

Thanks R-2-R! Always unplugged! :yes:

I was just wanting to start with something easy. I do have the service manual and have been looking it over. I'll just replace the fuses due to age. Everything else is working fine. One day when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll think about recapping it. It's a little out of my league right now.

I'll get the correct lamps and follow the instructions on the link since they seem to be fairly similar. I'll also double check with a magnifying glass to see all connections are good.

What would be the best lamps to replace these with? Can you gewt them at Radio Shack? I've seen a few recommendations and I want to make sure to get the right ones.

Thanks again for your insight!
Actually. The lamps are wired in series-parallel. Contact AK'r dgwojo at dgwojo.com. Tell Dave what you have and he will build a relamp kit for you.With the correct lamp replacements. Radio shack bulbs will not last very long and run hot.:thmbsp:

Actually. The lamps are wired in series-parallel. Contact AK'r dgwojo at dgwojo.com. Tell Dave what you have and he will build a relamp kit for you.With the correct lamp replacements. Radio shack bulbs will not last very long and run hot.:thmbsp:

Thanks! I'll shoot an e-mail to Dave. I went to RS but needless to say, they didn't have anything. I'm wondering if I should go for an LED light set... :scratch2:

Thanks! I'll shoot an e-mail to Dave. I went to RS but needless to say, they didn't have anything. I'm wondering if I should go for an LED light set... :scratch2:
I replaced my lamps with LEDs, which I like, but popping in some new lamps is much quicker. And, Dave's lamps are nice.

Dave is the go to man for lamps, bulbs, etc. he should have what you need. :yes:

Very easy fix, I've had to do it on all my Yamaha's, just splice onto existing leads. You can get them on eBay to.

Got the lamps from Dave last week and they have been changed (thanks to the link). It was truly a pleasure to deal with Dave and he comes highly recommended! Super fair prices, too! Now I have a lamp for my Pioneer RG-1 headed my way. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom