A-S2000 in the house

No doubt the first unit was defective. My phono stage complaints with the first unit do not exist with the replacement.

As a side rant I am going to spell out for all US merchants why UPS is the worst service to ship things

UPS offers a lower shipping rate to US business because that's not the real rate. They are going to rape your customer when it arrives for "brokerage"
My A-S2000 cost me $310 to receive. Of that $200 is government tax. Tax is going to happen no matter what. The other $110 is UPS Brokerage and taxes on the brokerage fee. USPS charges $10 for that service.
So the company paid $87 minus 20% discount to ship to me. I paid $110 to get it. Thats $200. For $200 Fedex would overnight it and charge me $10 at the door to "process" it.
UPS ground is never ... NEVER less expensive.
To top it off they will apply that same massive brokerage fee to the replacement. To all retailers ... stop the madness. Call UPS out on this. I've had to explain this so many times to retailers. I have a certificate in Import/Export. The rules are very clear for Canada/US trade. On both sides I find customer personnel to be quite reasonable. As long as the paperwork clearly states things all they really want is tax where applicable. They don't even see the shipments anyway, unless something gets flagged. Its all electronic and takes about one minute. UPS loves this double dip because they will use the words "duty" etc. When no duty applies. They try and confuse their fees as being government fees. If anyone doubts this google it. Canada Revenue and Customs has taken them to task over this. Lawsuits abound. UPS is making more off "cheap" ground then any service they offer due to the "brokerage". UPS keeps at it because its making them lots of money and people keep allowing it.

I feel your pain. I avoid all of this now by shipping stuff to a receiver in Port Huron, MI for $5 a parcel. I save tons on shipping and fees and just pay my tax at the border. Lucky for me it is only a 1 hour drive.
I know a guy who works for UPS corporate, he agreed that they don't give a flying fig about individuals, they only cater to the business shippers.

No doubt the first unit was defective. My phono stage complaints with the first unit do not exist with the replacement.
:thmbsp: I had no doubt that this would be the case.

Looking forward to your listening results.

Yes, looking for your impressions.
The single box is quite lackluster for such a heavy piece. I have boxes for shitty DVD players weighing 5 pounds that are heavier than this is.
Glad you're sorted.

Impressions right now are its a lovely amp. The first one must have been dropped or caps failed ... etc. The phono was lifeless and the MC option produced zero output. Then of course was the unusable volume that threw the amp into protection should the vol be adjusted. Who knows but definitely that unit was toast.

Amp #2 isn't the best phono I've ever heard, but its perfectly usable and nice sounding. No complaints in this class. Both MM and MC function. Soundstage is lovely. Really nice separation. Not the most powerful amp but delivers enough clean sound for home use. I like to get loud but not concert levels. Seems unique to me how the power is delivered. My vintage units "push". The 2000 seems to "present". No harshness, no mud, just clean sound. And so quiet .. seems to make no noise of its own. Overall I must admit the sound is better than any vintage unit I have. For reasons of separation. I can easily hear each instruments place in the mix. While the bass may not boom with the authority of my SX1250 .... the 2000 doesnt lack power and bass is clean and tight. Which now makes me think the 1250 colors/fuzzes the bass.

Anyway, time will tell. It if lasts add my vote to the "amazing for price" club.

The original box and packing sucks. If I was a retailer I would really not want to ship them as is. Yamaha support was lacking completely and I hope I never have to deal with them on warranty. HiFi Heaven took care of me. Glad I went with them and not the auction site.

As a Yamaha fan it would have been very disheartening if you did not like the sound. I had a Pioneer SX3900 at one point and felt it did color the sound somewhat. That is why I love Yamaha; it just produces what was recorded without extra fluff.
Some people think it is clinical and lacks bass; I think it's natural and if the bass is in the recording it comes out for display with the Yami.

Seems unique to me how the power is delivered. My vintage units "push". The 2000 seems to "present". No harshness said:
I like how you describe the sound. It's effortless in that the music isn't jumping out at you but just there, "presented" as you say.
Enjoy!

Glad you got your issues fixed. I also purchased a 2000 from HiFi Heaven - they were great to deal with. I agree with your description of the sound quality and phono stage on the 2000. I didn't like the phono at all and quickly got an outboard stage. Really nice amp and very smooth but I felt a tad thin sounding at times compared to some of my vintage units.

Glad you got your issues fixed. I also purchased a 2000 from HiFi Heaven - they were great to deal with. I agree with your description of the sound quality and phono stage on the 2000. I didn't like the phono at all and quickly got an outboard stage. Really nice amp and very smooth but I felt a tad thin sounding at times compared to some of my vintage units.

That is the trade off. I have been struggling with this for some time with all units. The vintage sound is definitely a big powerful event. Modern Hifi is no question cleaner. The Yamaha is much like other modern hifi amps I've tried. It runs quiet, their is no crosstalk and the music is well defined. However it lacks that umpff vintage units like my SX-1250 provide. But then is that umpf simply bass pumped up in the EQ?

Nothing will ever be perfect at all times. I do like the new touches like isolated signal (no crosstalk which all the old units suffer from). A remote (yes my aging self like to adjust vol/source from the chair. and of course full size speaker connectors. The old units wont accept my normal speaker cable without installing pin connectors on them. Its interesting that back then none of the manufacturers seems to think thicker than 14 awg was warranted. All the big power units have the same little connectors.

I get so tired of swapping units ... since the yammy arrived I haven't bothered.

Yes HiFi Heaven proved themselves a quality merchant. No affiliation other than this transaction. Good service does warrant mention.

If it seems bass shy I think the A-S2000 is simply being accurate. Bloated bass is very common, and a lot of people prefer a certain amount of exaggerated bass.

What speakers are you using with it?

However it lacks that umpff vintage units like my SX-1250 provide. But then is that umpf simply bass pumped up in the EQ?

Turn the bass knob to 1 o'clock and see if that helps. Or, you can try a bunch of different cables :D

AS2000 vs New Marantz?

I have been looking at getting the Yamaha AS2000 but have never heard it. I have heard the Marantz Reference PM15S2 and liked it. Have any of you heard each of these units and have comments....would be very appreciated.
Also, good to hear that HiFiHouse is a reputable outlet. I have been looking at them as a good source as their prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom