yamaha Cr240 vs CR640

Sillver79

i'm about the get one or both of these receivers the prices are really good! The CR240 in brand new and the CR640 is a 8/10 we are talking less than 50$ between the 2. I am looking for a second unit for a bed room to drive my dynaco A-25XL, what to do ????

Not to crazy about either one. Not to fond of "chip amplifiers". Of the CRxx40 series I'd hold out for a CR-2040 its a discreet amplifier- no stink'n STK or IGxxx chip packs.:D

You looking for a Mac?

240 vs 640...

They're both fine... but you'd definitely like the 640 better. Don't fear the power-packs - there is a fix if they fry, but really there is no reason it should go unless you do something dumb. You could get it re-furbed to also prevent failure (re-cap etc), and add some heatsinking to the pre-driver.

And I'll add that the big brother CR-840 is a superb-sounding receiver. Don't be afraid of this series.

You looking for a Mac?

240 vs 640...

They're both fine... but you'd definitely like the 640 better. Don't fear the power-packs - there is a fix if they fry, but really there is no reason it should go unless you do something dumb. You could get it re-furbed to also prevent failure (re-cap etc), and add some heatsinking to the pre-driver.

i have some Mc what do you have?

My CR-240 is still sounding great, I do need to de-ox the volume pot at some point. I'm currently using it at work as a pre-amp and headphone amp, alas. The CR-420 is a much more impressive unit, however. That '20 series is amazing. the 420 is one I will put some $ in to keep running when it needs it...

My local techs have only warned me away from the R series Yamahas. Supposedly the STK chips in them are more vulnerable, easier to fry.

Back
Top Bottom