PSVANE 845 T II Tubes

guystp

PSVANE 845T II tubes- A few weeks ago, Rachel at Grant Fidelity handed me and pair of these tubes and asked me to try them out and possibly write a review on them. Of course, I’m all in for that! From the second I put these these in my Shuguang S845MK II amps, I heard a difference to the stock Shuguang tubes. Keeping things in perspective, the stock tubes cost approximately $200.00/pr. and the T II series from Psvane will run you $485.00 for a pair of GF’s grade A tubes. Therefore there should be a significant difference.
When I first installed them, my first impression was “oh these sound very nice” and that thought has remained thus far into the burn in period. That’s not to say there wasn’t a few weird glitches along the way. I’m told it takes approximately 100 hrs to burn tubes in, but they seemed to have stabilized quite nicely at this point with about 70 hours on them. At around the 20 hr mark, I was hearing some distortion that was a little unsettling, to the point of replacing the tubes with my stock ones to find out it was the tubes creating the distortion, and not some other aspect of my system. I put the T II’s back in and everything seemed fine again for the remainder of this session.
The next day, after work, I turned the system on soon as I walk in the house, then proceed to my usual ritual of making a nice cup of green tea, before settling in my chair for some “wind down after work” listening. I was a little surprised to hear distortion again, only this time it was a lot more regular. My disappointment didn’t last long because within 15-20 minutes, the distortion just disappeared and I was loving life again. They’ve glitched a little here and there, but from about the 50 hour mark, I really haven’t heard any strange noises at all. As a matter of fact, I have noticed the usual low level hum I used to hear between songs, is virtually inaudible. This hum was always there if you listened very closely between cuts from a distance of a foot or two away from my speakers. I did rebias my amps a couple times (5) since putting these tubes in, so this may have something to do with the hums disappearance. I’ve also turned the bias down to 86 from the recommended 90, so this could have affected the hum as well. Regardless, I don’t hear it anymore :).
Back to the subject at hand, the sound of these tubes is really engaging. There’s a smoothness I never got with my Rita(KT88) amp. The stock 845 tubes are smooth, but not like these.The detail and realism is enhanced dramatically. I notice it in the shimmer of symbols, and in the low end of the spectrum, the drums are a little more defined and separated. A better placement of instruments might be a better way to put it. Like more space between the instruments. The mids are as expected from 845 tubes. They really excel in this department with their smooth presentation of vocals, especially of the female type. This is common for the 845’s, but these Psvane’s really remind you of this fact with the rich clarity they put forward. Diana Krall’s voice is even ‘breathier’ than usual. Tracy Chapman’s voice comes across very crisp with slight edginess she’s known for. “I used to be a sailor” from her Matters of the heart album, sound better than I’ve heard it. The bongo drums toward the end of the song are tighter than I’ve ever heard them. Sade’s seducative voice draws you in to the song with no effort, while Rosanne Cash’s voice is crisp and powerful.
I listened to a variety of artists and came to the conclusion that these tubes are very smooth with whatever I threw at them. Even artists like Alice Cooper, the Rolling Stones, Allman Bros.Band, Amos Lee, Keb Mo, all sounded incredibly smooth and easy to listen to long period of time without getting fatigued. One of my favourite songs, "wondering where the lions are" by Bruce Cockburn is delivered with a presence that screams Turn Up The Volume.
I listen to a lot of different music, but lately jazz has been my favourite flavour, and the Psvanes were absolutely made for jazz. Horn sections are luscious and velvety. Mingus’s ‘Boogie Shop Shuffle’ makes you want to get up and dance, and Brubeck’s 'Take Five’ gets your toes tapping without you realizing it!
Fact of the matter is that my stock tubes did everything I mentioned very well, the Psvane just do it so much better, with more clarity, air and dynamics. That’s the best way I can describe them. They are built a little fatter than my stock tubes, (I’m told it’s so they can run a little cooler)and have a flat copper finished base so your finger prints don’t mark up the base. I’ve found the selection of 845 tubes is not very good compared to others, but these Psvane 845T II will satisfy my quest for a better 845 tube for quite some time.:thmbsp:

I know someone who will get a new pair of tube ! ;) Nice review btw. Pictures to follow right ...

Thanks Phil, I'll post pics of this tubes in the amp tomorrow. A little too dark to get a decent pic today. Another 30 hrs before they are fully burnt in I think, but I really don't hear much for changes at this point. Tomorrow I will put the stock tubes back in to refresh my memory of the differences.

In fact you should just leave those tubes on for days. Then after maybe 2-3 weeks put the stock tubes on, then you'll see the difference

The Psvanes have been in for 3 weeks now. I ran them for about 75 hrs at this point, so I'm thinking its a good time to compare. :)

as promised, here's the pics you requested Phil. :)

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00190.jpg
    DSC00190.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00187.jpg
    DSC00187.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 48
After compiling over 100 hrs now on the TII's, I believe they are as they will remain. I really don't hear any changes at all anymore. Last night I put the stock Shuguang tubes back in to the amps, to refresh my memory as to their sound. I let them play for about an hour to make sure they were warmed up and ready so to speak. They are detailed and airy, and sounded just like the sound I'd become accustomed to in my system. So I don't confuse things, I only used one song for this comparison. "the Well" by Jennifer Warnes on a 24k gold CD. I played the song 3 times in a row to make sure I remembered it right, then switched the tubes out to the TII's again. My immediate reaction was like an aww moment. They sounded much smoother and more dynamic at the same time, if that makes sense. It's like the range of sound is expanded, like 1 to 10, instead of 3 to 7, is the best way I can explain it. But at the same time, they sound smoother and a lot easier to listen to with no harshness. That's not to say the stock tubes were harsh, but the TII's are even silkier. The shimmer of symbols seems to last longer, and the fine detail is clearer than the stock tubes. Instruments seem to have more space around them making for a more detailed sound. The bass is deep and powerful and in control, but the mids are incredible!
845 tubes are known for this and the Psvane's really accentuate this fact.
In the picture you can clearly see the difference in size. As Rachel explained it to me , this is so the tube runs a little cooler and I can say that it does. This should lead to longer tube life? It would make sense.
So in conclusion, I firmly believe these Psvane tubes are worth the investment if you're searching to improve on the nice sound of the 845 tubes.:tresbon:

Attachments

• DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom