Epi Series 3 model 120 WOW!!

AudioJoe413

I picked these up on a whim. They were on CL last week, the owner said they were mint and have never been driven hard. I drove a 2 hour round trip and forked over $40. for them.

They are in perfect cosmetic condition. When i got home I hooked them up to an older BPC jvc receiver just to make sure they work. Fast forward to this evening, I had a little time to hook them directly to my Pioneer sx980 for a little listening time. I searched around on the FM dial for a bit, and after listening to a few different tunes, I ran into the other room and grabbed one of my go-to cd's for a little better listen.

I must admit, I am a closet Jewel fan, I have never heard another female voice sound so good. Anyway, I started listening and i was blown away!! I had the volume on my 980 up about halfway and all tone bypassed.

Acoustic guitar was amazing! I could actually tell she was playing with nylon strings. Her voice has never sounded sweeter! These things blew me away in the transients and peaks.

In closing, i must say I have a pair of PSB image series and thought they were really nice, after hearing these Epi's I'm almost ready to throw them in the trash!!! One is blown,(thanks to my son), I am no longer searching for a replacement.

I never heard 120s but I have 100s and they are definitely a keepers. I got mine for $10 though had to replace tweeters. I am like you, amazed with the sound.

Send the PSBs my way. No need to increase landfill size :)

I was really being a little over dramatic about the PSB's. I am keeping an eye out for a replacement or parts. I bought these new with the stands back in 2000, so literally throwing them in the trash would be very foolish.

However, these Epi's sound that good to me.

A well kept set of EPIs will do that. Just a wonderfully and simply musical speaker. If you open them up, see if they still have the stock electrolytic caps; if so, a recap will have you loving them even more.

Most likely a very simple x over that should be easy to change out caps. Have fun. I enjoyed my epi 100's after a refoam and recap. I have a set of genesis 22's waiting for the same treatment in my basement for when i have a bit of spare time.

My 100s are awaiting recap. I have already bought the replacement capacitors but I am not in a rush to work with the fiberglass fill. Waiting for a nice day so I can do it outside.

I just used rubber gloves and put the fiberglass from each speaker in its own paper grocery bag. Not too bad to do inside.

Back
Top Bottom