Good 4way speaker you can recomend?

sonix

Hi, I would like to try a nice pair of 4 way speakers.

I realize that 4 way speakers are more of a new concept so modern speaker suggestions are also appreciated. I prefer the acoustic suspension or sealed box speakers as they call them, but I will be open to anything you can recommend.

I like the idea of a good woofer to take care of the lows, a mid low driver, a mid high driver, and a tweeter.

Anyway let me know of any solid 4 way speakers you can recommend.

I realize that 4 way speakers are more of a new concept............
I'd opine that with a few exceptions it is an obsolete concept that peaked in the 1970's.

AR-9 immediately comes to mind as one of the best examples of a 4-way that actually sounds good. AR-9 is one of the above mentioned exceptions.

It was a great speaker when it was introduced, and is still a great speaker today, can hold it's own versus many contemporaries.

The other "great" 4-ways that come to mind generally sell in the 5 figure price range and are probably not worth mention due to that fact, or is money no object for you?.

Hi, I would like to try a nice pair of 4 way speakers.

I realize that 4 way speakers are more of a new concept so modern speaker suggestions are also appreciated. I prefer the acoustic suspension or sealed box speakers as they call them, but I will be open to anything you can recommend.

I like the idea of a good woofer to take care of the lows, a mid low driver, a mid high driver, and a tweeter.

How about the Wharfedale W90? Only 50 years old, so still a bit under the radar. ;)
images

No mention of the brand that invented the 4-way? Really bowtie, you're slipping dude :)

How about any of the classic JBL 44-series large format monitors? Or the L250/250Ti? Or the XPL200 ? Even my lowly JBL940's give a decent account of themselves and show why a 4-way can do great things.

jblnut

No mention of the brand that invented the 4-way? Really bowtie, you're slipping dude :)
Oh, they're among the exceptions i refer to, but have approached the borderline of that 5 figure retail value for the good ones. Somehow, i don't think the OP is looking to spend 10 grand plus on a pair of 4-ways.

Historically, for me there is a very memorable system that included AR-9's that i was able to listen to at length over several years. That system is etched in my memory as "one of the best" i've heard over the years, and that's what makes AR-9's "pop" when somebody mentions 4-way.

You might keep an eye out for a pair of JBL L5's or JBL L7's. They are 90's 4-way JBLs that still sound fantastic but tend to sell for bargain prices because they have that modern tall/thin black look rather than the classic vintage look.

L5's are more common, and very easy when it comes to room placement, but the 8" woofer and 6" midbass woofer even together are still a little light on bass compared to a classic 3-way with a 12" woofer. If you could pair these with a sub, it would be a pretty amazing combination.

L7's are more rare. They have a 12" woofer but maintain their thin frontal appearance by mounting the 12" woofer on the side of the cabinet. This tends to make them very particular when it comes to positioning, but if/when you can get it right, they will best most other JBLs.

Really depends on the budget. You could go 5-way with a pair of Pioneer CS-99a's for a couple hundred. But not everyone likes that sound. :D

AR9's are super, but if original they will probably need a refoam of a total of 6 drivers, and a recap. If already worked on they can cost $500-$1000/pr. And will require additional investment in 4-ohm capable power amps. I don't know much about the others mentioned but these are things you have to consider with any speaker purchase, really.

Good 4way

I know Im the master of the obvious, but you could consider the DQ-10!(more than 4way):tresbon:

Speakerlab S-50s.

Cheers,
James

Agreed.... If you can find a pair..... Nestrovic woofer system with a 12 and 10, poly 6 1/2 mid bass, 1 1/2 dome and then a leaf tweeter.... They are an exceptional speaker if you can find a pair that hasn't been messed with. The Nestrovic woofer system has to be to spec or it won't sound right... Anyone can refoam/ recone but using the proper materials is lost on some people.... They were a $1000 a piece in 1980.....

Infinity Kappa 8's are four ways and sound quite good, not near the hard to drive beast that is big brother the Kappa 9's which are a 5 way are noted for being.

Also you might consider a pair of Infinity Quantum 2's or their TOTL Quantum Line Source QLS-1's both are 4 ways. I think any of the speakers above can be consider good speakers.

I think the old Phase Linear Andromeda's are 4 ways as well, they sound great.

I also thought the Infinity RS-1b's were four ways, but they are five way, but possibly the RSIIb's might be a four way.

To the OP is their a particular reason your concerned with a speaker being specifically a four way?
Personally I would think my search would be for something I like the way it sounds with less emphasis on how many crossover points their are. Quite a number of members believe the less crossover points the better.

Last edited:
I'd opine that with a few exceptions it is an obsolete concept that peaked in the 1970's.

Why is that? Modern drivers are basically linear over the midrange?

I've seen comments about the (derisively labelled) speakers that are 5-way and 6-way from the '60s and '70s, but haven't seen any frequency responses that would suggest this was a bad thing or that sound quality suffered.

I've also seen drivers from the 60s where the linear frequency response was narrow (hence my earlier question), and where it seems that two mids would work better. For example, drivers which are linear from, say, about 800 Hz to 2,500 Hz which force the tweeters to drop far lower than would appear to be ideal for such a small driver. A mid that went from about 2,500 Hz to say 8,000 Hz might be better. Of course, with a better mid one could go 2,500 Hz to 8,000 Hz without any problem.

So, aside from crossover and driver cost, why wouldn't one want to have 4-way or 5-way speakers?

Back
Top Bottom