How do I avoid expensive shipping?

isRelative

Show Me What You Got
Hello AK'ers,

I come to you with a heavy heart after spending ~$150 on packing/shipping two items that weren't even that big...

I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on how to ship inexpensively but safely?

I don't really know where to acquire packing materials, so I usually just take my things to UPS and use their "Pack and Ship" guarantee. I think I can pack it myself well, but just don't know where to get the materials/boxes to do it. Plus, I don't know if UPS guarantees the safety of the item if they don't pack it themselves...

Also, is UPS the best choice? I feel like packing/shipping/insurance charges were through the roof. I asked UPS to pack/ship/insure a Peachtree Decco65 (not that big) to Oregon from PA and it ran me like $100.

What am I doing wrong? What improvements can I make?

Thanks.

Sometimes you can get boxes at supermarkets or the big warehouse stores for free. I double box everything, with about 2" between all sides of the inner and outer boxes. Hate styrofoam peanuts and use tightly crumpled newpaper, foam or inserts from other things that have been shipped. Some use flat styrofoam board from construction, but I don't think it cushions all that well. I try to bag the unit to keep out dust and (heaven forbid) water, then wrap it in bubble pack. I get that at the discount store, but it still costs more than I'd like. You HAVE to pack for a 6' drop to concrete on any face or corner. If that idea makes you nervous, you haven't packed well enough.

I use FedEx ground and can usually ship one way for less than $40 if I'm not going all the way across the country and it's not a big power amp. If you can ship from a business with an account, you'll pay less. I have to go to the local FedEx store- be sure it's an official store, not a private place that does shipments for an additional profit.

Working at a UPS Store, I haven't seen a way around expensive shipping.

The boxes that are contractually mandated for the UPS Store Pack and Ship Guarantee are 200lb ECT (Edge Crush Test) boxes specially designed to handle the shipping environment. We can only use those boxes. Some of the art-specific boxes are 275#ECT.

It's my understanding that it's very very difficult to prove a claim against UPS if the customer packs it themselves, and UPS reserves the right to inspect the packaging for any claim made, so if the recipient gets a damaged item and tosses the packaging, you're often SOL.

Especially with vintage audio gear, follow ConradH's advice for packing above, except I do NOT advise using newspaper, UPS almost automatically guarantees it won't pay a claim if newspaper is used in any fashion (even if used intelligently). If you wouldn't feel comfortable paying soccer with the package and dropping it at least 4 feet, it's not well packed enough.

Also, PLEASE do not wrap packages in brown paper. Julie Andrews might love Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With String, but UPS hates such things.

There's no real way to lessen the cost of shipping other than getting a UPS account for yourself, and shipping a massive volume of packages.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

I ship infrequently but I found that if I get good packing materials from my UPS Store (boxes, bubble wrap, etc...) or keep boxes I have received items in, then have a UPS account where I can purchase my own shipping, it's quite a bit cheaper than doing pack and ship at that same store.

Of course, I have a place to keep the supplies and to pack items for shipment and if I remember correctly, you are a bit limited on space, right?

Cross check all pending shipments with USPS. Sometimes USPS Standard (formerly parcel post) is cheaper than UPS Ground, sometimes not. It depends on weight, size, and distance.
Compare add-on charges, such as insurance. The first $100 of coverage is free with UPS. USPS Standard charges $2.10 for the first $50 of value, 50 cents per $50 thereafter. No charge for the first $50 with Priority Mail.
UPS has a sneaky surcharge if the package's total size (H + W + L) exceeds 53 inches. This is easy to do. When measuring/weighing, always round up to the next whole increment.
UPS also tacks on a "rural" surcharge, if the addressee is more than a certain distance from the distribution center. This surcharge does not show up in an online quote. If you can, call your local UPS store for a quote. It will be more accurate.

Hello AK'ers,

I come to you with a heavy heart after spending ~$150 on packing/shipping two items that weren't even that big...

I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on how to ship inexpensively but safely?

I don't really know where to acquire packing materials, so I usually just take my things to UPS and use their "Pack and Ship" guarantee. I think I can pack it myself well, but just don't know where to get the materials/boxes to do it. Plus, I don't know if UPS guarantees the safety of the item if they don't pack it themselves...

Also, is UPS the best choice? I feel like packing/shipping/insurance charges were through the roof. I asked UPS to pack/ship/insure a Peachtree Decco65 (not that big) to Oregon from PA and it ran me like $100.

What am I doing wrong? What improvements can I make?

Thanks.

You can get shipping supplies from outfits like ULine, but to realize any savings you'd probably have to buy more than you need unless you ship frequently.

1. Open up a Fed Ex account.

2. Source boxes from Craigslist & Facebook local "Garage Sale" pages (people often post "I just moved in and am giving away the boxes for free").

3. Source empty refrigerator boxes from Best Buy, Sears, etc. The cardboard is very heavy and good for lining a standard box to strengthen it.

4. Visit your local recycling center for packing peanuts, styrofoam, etc. for internal protection with minimum weight.

Using these methods, I can send a TT or smaller receiver packed bulletproof from MN to NJ or CA for $16.
I bet UPS would be a few dollars more...

I've been told that shipping Greyhound can work out for big heavy stuff. Its not door to door though. I believe both shipper and recipient have to go to the bus depot to make this work.

I cant speak for the lower 48 states as far as shipping costs go since I live in Alaska but here virtually everything I ship goes USPS parcel select or priority mail it is much cheaper to the lower 48 states and quicker too if shipped priority.

I purchase boxes either at my local U-Haul or home depot store mainly every so often the FedEx store never UPS they are a complete rip off :yes: virtually the same box at the FedEx store is $10.00 $7.00 at the U-Haul store and $30.00 at the local UPS store.

I usually pack everything that is an electronic item with solid sheet foam that I get at my local home depot for around $15.00 per sheet 2 foot X 8 foot. I basically build a box around the item with the foam sheet cut to size usually 1/1/2" foam sometimes 2" foam depending on how heavy the item is, total cost is usually around $20.00-$25.00 depending on the item for the box foam and tape. Here is a quick pic of a lightweight 15 lbs or so tuner I shipped recently that was packed using the foam sheet box method likely overkill for the weight of the item but better safe than sorry.

I have shipped everything from TT's to Amps and Receivers weighing up to 80 + lbs safely using this method sure it is nice having a 200-300 lb crush test box but that will not save your precious cargo the solid foam sheeting cut to size will :yes: you can safely use a much lighter weight less expensive cardboard box this way. Just be sure that the contents are packed tightly if you can pick the box up and hear it move around inside start over.

I will not ever use UPS to ship anything especially valuable vintage electronics they are more expensive than any other source from my location and they have destroyed every single item I have shipped using them and I pack very very well. If you were to spend a few hours looking through the forum archives you will see that the overwhelming percentage of horror stories involving shipping are the ones that have used UPS there is a reason for this :yes:

Out of literally thousands of items I have shipped using USPS "not one" has ever been damaged!! there is a reason for this also. Not trying to bash UPS and others experiences may be different but this has been my experience.

REGARDS SNOW

Attachments

• DSC06888.jpg
    DSC06888.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Just keep buying gear, and you'll accumulate boxes soon enough. I tend to use usps for most everything. It is a lot less convenient for me, but UPS very expensive, even for small boxes. USPS not perfect, but I have never had a problem. Priority mail means less time in transit, so less probability for damage. It is almost always cheaper than ups ground, which may require more handling which would cause damage.
Just pack it so it floats in the box. Nothing touches the edges, corners or sides. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap and sometimes a box within a box (floating in packing materials) will do the trick. You can purchase insurance from usps as well.

I think anything and everything is cheaper than UPS pack and ship.

Open a Fedex account. Its basically registering a credit card with them. You can do it all online. You will need to be able to weigh the package well. So a nice digital bathroom scale helps. (weigh yourself holding the package and weight yourself and subtract). You print the label at home and then you only need to drop the finished package off at a FedEx counter.

I've seen boxes at office supply stores, home improvement stores, storage businesses, etc... IF you can't scrounge up used boxes. Finding the good vintage receiver size can be tough. Getting the large moving box and cutting is down a bit works.

Building insulation Styrofoam is good stuff and a sheet (4'x8') isn't too expensive. Comes in many thicknesses. There is also high density stuff too.

DO wrap the unit in a plastic garbage bag. It keeps the loose Styrofoam beads out of the thing and helps with dust, etc... It can also protect against rubbing damage.

You can also scrounge foam rubber from old furniture. That works well.
I have a flipper buddy that guts speakers and he re-used the poly fill and fiber glass to pad with. IF you make packing pads by putting the poly or fiber in plastic shopping bags, it makes pretty good padding pillow and doesn't get all over the place.

Places that sell electronics or appliances may have packing stuff they throw away if they sell out-of-box.

Double boxing is good, but a well packed sturdy cardboard works fine. Just have enough padding and make sure its a tight pack.

Styrofoam peanuts are OK but a pain. Make sure they are packed tight when the box closes or things can shift.

DON'T use the air pillows, period.

Avoid light duty bubble wrap. The bubble all pop and all you have is a plastic wrapper.

IT may be possible there is a recycling center near you that takes packing materials, but Styrofoam is one that they don't usually do.

The Ikea near Seattle has bins in the packing lot for people to leave the Styrofoam packing. Its a great place to scrounge some, but Ikea is a rare place to have around.

Back when I lived in Vegas and was big on ebay, I would cruise around the backs of the strip malls hunting boxes and packing. I used to score big at times.

IF you have curb side garbage collection, cruising the streets on pickup day can get you some good stuff IF the local economy is good (people buying nice large new stuff).

Agree with most here that usps or FedEx ground is most economical and efficient option. I can pack a tt in styrofoam from home depot, wrap it and float it in peanuts, then double box it and get it to Washington state from NC for less than $40. Key is scrounging for supplies and building up an inventory. U save every package u receive and I have my friends and family on" box watch" duty to help me. So when I go visit my dad 5 hours away, I come back home with flattened boxes to ship with. Good luck.

I cant speak for the lower 48 states as far as shipping costs go since I live in Alaska but here virtually everything I ship goes USPS parcel select or priority mail it is much cheaper to the lower 48 states and quicker too if shipped priority.

I purchase boxes either at my local U-Haul or home depot store mainly every so often the FedEx store never UPS they are a complete rip off :yes: virtually the same box at the FedEx store is $10.00 $7.00 at the U-Haul store and $30.00 at the local UPS store.

I usually pack everything that is an electronic item with solid sheet foam that I get at my local home depot for around $15.00 per sheet 2 foot X 8 foot. I basically build a box around the item with the foam sheet cut to size usually 1/1/2" foam sometimes 2" foam depending on how heavy the item is, total cost is usually around $20.00-$25.00 depending on the item for the box foam and tape. Here is a quick pic of a lightweight 15 lbs or so tuner I shipped recently that was packed using the foam sheet box method likely overkill for the weight of the item but better safe than sorry.

I have shipped everything from TT's to Amps and Receivers weighing up to 80 + lbs safely using this method sure it is nice having a 200-300 lb crush test box but that will not save your precious cargo the solid foam sheeting cut to size will :yes: you can safely use a much lighter weight less expensive cardboard box this way. Just be sure that the contents are packed tightly if you can pick the box up and hear it move around inside start over.

I will not ever use UPS to ship anything especially valuable vintage electronics they are more expensive than any other source from my location and they have destroyed every single item I have shipped using them and I pack very very well. If you were to spend a few hours looking through the forum archives you will see that the overwhelming percentage of horror stories involving shipping are the ones that have used UPS there is a reason for this :yes:

Out of literally thousands of items I have shipped using USPS "not one" has ever been damaged!! there is a reason for this also. Not trying to bash UPS and others experiences may be different but this has been my experience.

REGARDS SNOW
Glad you suggested this-buying those foam sheets are fantastic, I always custom pack with those and they are super cheap.

UPS Stores are not run by UPS, they are a franchise. So prices are high.

Local indy Fedex vendor priced a big box at almost exactly twice what Fedex charged me via my own account.

Many of the above posters have it dead on. Snow's comments ring true and made me smile with recognition. I tell shippers that if they send it UPS I'll hold them responsible. 1 out of 10 UPS deliveries arrives undamaged, they go too fast to get every single one.

I've also had the UPS driver lie about attempting delivery, when I was home and watched the truck go past my road without stopping. Probably under some time limitation, or perhaps just lazy. Anyway, meant waiting through the weekend for a repair part that went right past my door. Last time I did business with that vendor. And I told them why.

UPS Stores, as noted, are franchised. They are notorious for lousy packing and are also notorious for being very difficult when it comes to claims. I had my Onkyo TX-8500MKII shipped me through them. That receiver weighs 80# and they threw it in a box with peanuts and some bubble wrap. I was lucky that the receiver came home working but the glass was cracked and two knobs were bent. The box was round in shape when it arrived. Trying to establish a claim became so convoluted that I gave up

When I ship, I always cut smaller boxes in pieces and reenforce the corners by 5 or 6 layers, then I add my styrofoam. Since I started this I have never had any damage.

I too recommend FedEx. They are used to shipping large packaged. The USPS may be cheaper for smaller lighter boxes, but bring in a box big enough for an SX-1250 and the size alone will skyrocket your cost into the hundreds, plus they are limited to #80 I believe.

No shipping is cheap; I'd go for better quality service myself

I switched to FedEx after too much UPS damage and non-payment /hassle of claims. The Marantz 2500 they damaged was returned to me after inspection with further damage as they used air pillows which of course 80-90% popped. This was UPS not a UPS store!! :no:

So I heartily agree with blhagstrom on not using air pillows and whoever has said peanuts - they compress and lose the ability to absorb shock and the unit floats inside the box = bad.

There is a UPS store within my Office Depot. I get all my packing supplies there. However, I would like to find some styrofoam to add to my supply. I also use FedEx but they do not help with packing. With that said, I have yet to have any issues with anything I ship. When I am boxing and packing, I do it the same way I would want the item box and packed.

With all the shipping I have done, I have yet to be charged $75 or higher for any one item being shipped. :music:

UPS Stores, as noted, are franchised. They are notorious for lousy packing and are also notorious for being very difficult when it comes to claims. I had my Onkyo TX-8500MKII shipped me through them. That receiver weighs 80# and they threw it in a box with peanuts and some bubble wrap. I was lucky that the receiver came home working but the glass was cracked and two knobs were bent. The box was round in shape when it arrived. Trying to establish a claim became so convoluted that I gave up

When I ship, I always cut smaller boxes in pieces and reenforce the corners by 5 or 6 layers, then I add my styrofoam. Since I started this I have never had any damage.

I too recommend FedEx. They are used to shipping large packaged. The USPS may be cheaper for smaller lighter boxes, but bring in a box big enough for an SX-1250 and the size alone will skyrocket your cost into the hundreds, plus they are limited to #80 I believe.

No shipping is cheap; I'd go for better quality service myself
You are correct USPS has a limit of 70 lbs FedEx is roughly 20% cheaper than UPS from my location another good reason to use them rather than UPS I like USPS if at all possible because they are quicker than either FedEx or UPS with priority versus ground from Alaska 4-5 days versus 7-9 days and cheaper and never not one time has an item been damaged but if I have to ship something heavier than 70 lbs FedEx it would be.

I switched to FedEx after too much UPS damage and non-payment /hassle of claims. The Marantz 2500 they damaged was returned to me after inspection with further damage as they used air pillows which of course 80-90% popped. This was UPS not a UPS store!! :no:

So I heartily agree with blhagstrom on not using air pillows and whoever has said peanuts - they compress and lose the ability to absorb shock and the unit floats inside the box = bad.
Peanuts are never a good idea even for filler, as mentioned they move around and flatten out and leave space for movement which can cause damage. Airbags/pillows once popped are useless so I avoid them too.

REGARDS SNOW

The boxes that are contractually mandated for the UPS Store Pack and Ship Guarantee are 200lb ECT (Edge Crush Test) boxes specially designed to handle the shipping environment. We can only use those boxes. Some of the art-specific boxes are 275#ECT.

I think that you're confusing Bursting Strength with ECT - I've certainly never heard of a widely used ECT 200 box!

Typically, boxes are rated by Bursting Strength / ECT, for example: Standard 200lb / ECT 32, Heavy Duty 275lb / ECT 44, Heavy Duty-Double Wall 275lb / ECT 48.

So, I think what you're describing is a standard rated box, with a bursting strength of 200lb and an edge crush test rating of 32lb. In the case of FedEx, ECT 32 is the minimum standard required for FedEx to consider a claim for damage. Incidentally, most corrugated boxes that you can get for free from retailers etc. are rated at least ECT 32.

TL/DR: The store that you work at uses plain ordinary standard boxes, most of the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom