127 vac!

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
The power is a tad high here...don't ya think?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0376.jpg
    DSCN0376.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 204
So when my VU meters tell me I'm rocking out….they're LYING?!?!?!

Wow, an antique voltmeter, from the time when, in some places, "standard voltage" was 117.5V! Middle point of a 235V single phase transformer.

For today's 120V standard, extra 7V means less than 6%, which is fine (+/- 10% is standard).

Last edited:
I have one of those also (different brand) I just stuck it in an outlet and I'm sitting at 119V AC

Last edited:
I thought my power ran hot because it crept up to 124ish on occasion, and it made me concerned about some of the vintage gear i run. 127 would for sure make me nervous.

Power typically runs a few volts high here, have lived with that for 25 years with no major problems.

I'm showing 121VAC here, according to the digital meter built into this computer's APC backup unit. It gets up to 124VAC now and then, but I've never seen it higher.

Just pulled one of the Flukes out. My AC measured at 118.9 VAC. That is very close to where it normally is around 119VAC

That's a normal variation due to load changes on the power grid.

Years ago when I lived in Columbus, GA and worked at WRBL-TV, our transmitter plant shared a sub-station with the Sunshine Bakery Company, which had electric ovens, and 2 other stations co-located on our tower. Every afternoon when they started firing up the ovens, we would have to adjust our transmitter power output to compensate for the line voltage drop.

The 4 of us were the only loads on that sub-station, but even with a full power VHF, full power UHF, and Full power FM transmitters, we were considered the minor load, so this happened almost every day of the week. Our contract with the power company specified that no other customers would be put on that sub-station to minimize further line voltage swings..

It was a huge sub-station. The bakery was, as the power company engineer told me, one "God awful load" on their system. :D But, it sure smelled good around town when they were baking cakes and cookies!

Dave :music:

Yes I find it interesting to watch the meter at different times of the day --it drops a tiny bit when people start coming home from work and drawing power in my neighborhood.

"220, 221, whatever it takes"

Last time I went to a computer club meeting (1998?) the APC UPS guy was touting how everyone absolutely needed a UPS because of severe flux on home power line delivery. I happen to use a UPS on my Mac system, but all the computers and the other rigs including my entire ham shack are all straight line voltage.

I like to live on the edge. :)

If you check it with a scope, it is probably a distorted waveform. If so, then no meter reading will be accurate because the meter is calibrated for the waveform being an actual sine wave and different meters will use different methods of obtaining a reading. The best you can do is estimate the RMS value from the scope.

Where I live if a bird craps an a power line the power goes out. First snow fall can leave us out of power for days. I have several UPS's in the house. You should see the line to fill gas cans for generators after a storm here. :D the voltage fluctuates a lot.

Back
Top Bottom