New to tubes, suggestions please.

nttrbl

Changes systems more than underwear
Want to try either a tube amp or integrated with my speakers, they are my Sony ES SS 3300: 16 ohm, 98 db, 25 watts 60 max.

I will be using my Luxman C2 pre amp. Looking at the Dynaco st70 wondering if it will be sufficient power at 16 ohm.

Anyone have any suggestions on a tube integrated or power amp in the $600+ range, new or vintage.

Will there be any benefit over SS amps sound wise?

Music wise I listen to Everything but prefer 70-80's rock/new wave.

Thanks

Want to try either a tube amp or integrated with my speakers, they are my Sony ES SS 3300: 16 ohm, 98 db, 25 watts 60 max.

I will be using my Luxman C2 pre amp. Looking at the Dynaco st70 wondering if it will be sufficient power at 16 ohm.

Anyone have any suggestions on a tube integrated or power amp in the $600+ range, new or vintage.

Thanks
ST-70 will have more then enough power ( 35W ) and it has a 16 ohm tap.

As integrated amp dynakitparts is selling a replica of sca-35 ( integrated
2x17w el84 amp with decent phono-stage )

Well, I know Fisher had their integrated amps like that X-101 or whatever it's called. I have an 800C receiver that I just restored. Those are quite-reasonable. Scott had their stuff. I would avoid the Sansui 1000A as a first, due to the heat it kicks out and it's reputation of being a bear to work on... I actually want one someday, just to scratch it off the list. My next one will likely be a Scott. Either that or a Leak.

I think I paid $450 for my 800C with the Fisher case (Could have gotten it without, but I'm SO-glad I did... I just leave it in there and run it with the screen off so the power tubes can breathe... I WOULD like to rig a fan on the back, but only if it's not going to screw up the noise floor... I keep my Fisher right next to my listening spot for easier access).

Last edited:

Thanks

There's a nice refurbed & retubed ST70 in Barter Town right now in your price range. Including the $25 yearly subscription fee. No affiliation whatsoever. Update - this one is gone.

Last edited:
Can you tell me the wattage of the Fisher into 16 ohm. And also a couple models of Scott I can investigate.

Back
Top Bottom