127 vac!

Wow, an antique voltmeter, from the time when, in some places, "standard voltage" was 117.5V! Middle point of a 235V single phase transformer.

For today's 120V standard, extra 7V means less than 6%, which is fine (+/- 10% is standard).

What "standard voltage" used to be depends on how far back you want to go (or how far back you can remember). It 'used to be" 110/220 (And I can remember that). A bit later, I remember 115/230. And yes, 117V, say around 1960 or so.

I measure 122VAC in our part of St. Louis.

So when my VU meters tell me I'm rocking out….they're LYING?!?!?!

for rapid changes, yeah. Meter ballistics being what they are, analog gauges are really only accurate for steady-state measurements. I was at an AK member's house (can't remember his username here) and he cranked up his big Krell amp that shared an outlet with a similar meter. By the look of it, his line voltage was swinging at least 15 volts, but that was just the meter momentum over-shooting.

When we lived in a small country town a long time ago our A/C would start making a thumping sound the picture on the TV would get smaller, we called the power company and they said it was too many houses connected to the one line.

It got worse so we complained again and the linesman actually got up and checked our connection at the pole across the street, he was shocked (not literally) to find the wire running to our house was only hanging on by a few strands, he replaced it and viola no more problems.

I bet ours would have measured pretty low at that time.

Last year ours was running as high as 135 in stretches. Power company came and put a temporary recorder on our line. Then went out and found a capacitor bank that was fouled up. Fixed them and came back and removed the recorder as things dropped down to the more "normal for us" 123-127.

Don't know if it was coincidence, but we burned out several light bulbs in a very short time period.

Pretty steady 119v here using a digital multimeter. Most of our power is hydroelectic and no heavy industry in area.

One of my cheap DMM's tells me it's 121.1VAC; my other kind-of cheap DMM tells me it's 123VAC. This is actually rather higher than normal, as it used to sit between 120.1 and 120.9 like clockwork.

If you check it with a scope, it is probably a distorted waveform.

Even though my probes could probably handle it; knowing my luck I'd kill my scope. But here's a picture of the output of a transformer; if that counts.

acscope2.jpg

acscope1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom