Hoarding Vintage Audio

feel free to bring a truck load of stuff to mobile, i too only have a walkway, which means i still have room for more stuff:p

This is the conundrum of the hobby. You only can gather and use so much gear. When you reached your limit will just listening to the music be enough?

My advice, get rid of all the gear you won't use, keep the best pieces and only have what is going to get used on a frequent or at least occasional basis.

Then, find another hobby where you can collect that doesn't take up much room. Stamps come to mind.

OH, one more thing: Don't take in new stuff unless it's top shelf. Avoid projects.

I consider this to be a basic law of buying audio equipment. It keeps you house clean while allowing you to focus on the good stuff.

KC

Tax write-off won't help most people... very few people can actually take advantage of it, as the default deduction for that area of the form is usually higher than any donations made over the year. If it were me, I'd do a yard sale and price all the cheap stuff at a few bucks. I'd make some money back and clear some space at the same time. Then, I'd do CL for the nice gear.

Yea, I know most people it wouldn't be helped by the tax write off. I was just throwing an idea out there that may be beneficial. One thing about going through and donating the less than desirable, it's a quick, easy way to clear space without the setup and hassle of a yard sale for low low end stuff and it avoids the craigslist time/date/meet stuff. Then do a yard sale for the nicer quality stuff perhaps.

As far as I know, anyone who itemizes can deduct charitable donations. I'm sure there's limits, but we have been taking these deductions for years. Church offerings, charity donations, GW donations, etc.

Good luck on the cleanup, I'm doing one at my house too!

This is a great thread I am in my early 20s and well after collecting since I was 7 Ive decided I Have too much stuff in general
And I've decided that everything that's not of good quality has to go

If I Were you I would start with selling off the bose stuff I passed on a set of older bose speakers just recently

As far as I know, anyone who itemizes can deduct charitable donations. I'm sure there's limits, but we have been taking these deductions for years. Church offerings, charity donations, GW donations, etc.

Good luck on the cleanup, I'm doing one at my house too!

There's no limit, but there is some threshold above which you need documentation for donations. I think it's somewhere around $400.

I got a flyer from a real estate agent, who will be promoting a neighborhood yard sale next weekend. This thread inspired me to prep for it.
u5e6eze9.jpg

Some are fully working, some are projects, hopefully most will go. Not trying to sell here, just noting that I've been more motivated to purge because of this topic.

Last edited:
SoCal. Is it ok to post the craigslist ad in Marketplace when I run it?

Last edited:
After reading a lot of this type of threads over the years, I think that a number of us suffer from this problem to varying degrees. I know that I fight it, sometimes successful, sometimes not so much. I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff that has no meaning to me, but I don't want strangers showing up at my house via craigslist, and garage sales typically get you cents on the dollar. Ebay is a pain in the a&# and honestly horrible for selling hifi due to some dishonest buyers swapping parts, etc. I typically buy with the intension of "buying up" and getting rid of the lesser value stuff. But it can get ahead of you. Keep focused on your intension to clean the stuff out. Just remember that everything that you get rid of, potentially let's someone else enjoy the music in the way that you love music. Sometimes this thought process can help. I wish you the best in your efforts!

Pics

Pics will appear soon of my overage, some will then understand why it's so hard to let go and on the flipside, why I have so much trouble with my small stuff. My garage is the size of a small barn and the audio is so common, E play is not the answer. Also my state has put how much & what you can claim.:sigh:

I moved in the right direction today. Cleared out something, banked some karma, added a new member to our ranks.

The family room

Ok here goes! This is some of my sins, this is the main problem room in the house. It's supposed to be the family room, but it's the room that keeps things dry. This is one of the areas that hold lots of good junk, the name brand stuff. Tomorrow I hope to get in the garage to take some pics.

oops!

Attachments

• 100_4561.jpg
    100_4561.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_4550.jpg
    100_4550.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_4551.jpg
    100_4551.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_4563.jpg
    100_4563.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_4549.jpg
    100_4549.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_4554.jpg
    100_4554.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 171
New rule - if it is not sitting flat on a shelf or floor, ready for use - then you pass by it. When it becomes a stack of blob, you need to take serious action to control your urge to buy.

By posting the pictures, you've taken the first step.
I'd love to see another one when you've moved some stuff on, not when you've moved it to another location at your place.
I can see how it'd be overwhelming.
But start hammering away at it. It gets easier once you've started.
You can do it.

Back
Top Bottom