Yamaha is back in the meter business

follow the link, and look at the gear. A high end integrated amp with analog meters.

$8000?? Wow - better be mighty fine meters!

Not really any better than my technics su v9 except that it is new and has meters

Su v9 has better distortion specs and is 34 years old

Last edited:
Wow some really great marketing hype. The writer should get the award this year. There is nothing really new in the amp's magical features. Almost everything mentions has been used before.

One thing I do, ike are the speaker terminals. The really last great ones I was were on the Sony STR6120, designed to be used with a supplied wrench to really lock them down. All metal no plastic and hardened steel so unlike screw terminals when tightened down they do not stretch and break.

The screw connecting of important connections such as the factors? How is this unique? Well, maybe to Yamaha, don't know. As for other connections, a goodly number of those Chinese produced boards and amps are using them including some very inexpensive stuff. If this is such a good idea, then maybe everyone who uses terminators on speakers cables sprouting it is better than a mechanical connection are wrong.

In the tube days thermal shock was an issue and why component isolation was sought. With ss I doubt it is a concern and one of the benefits espoused by the original users if toroid vs metal core transformers was the elimination of shock and vibration. You could feel transformer vibrations so it was real but I never felt any such thing with a toroid, though I admit, it is not something I got around feeling up too often.

The amp my be excellent, first class and worth every penny of the asking price and I hope it is so well accepted in the market it will convince Yamaha to continue down this path but they need to do something with the marketing side IMHO.

What's wrong with Yamaha marketing? They make consumer and commercial mixing audio, musical instruments, motorcycles and who knows what outside the US?

Wow some really great marketing hype. The writer should get the award this year. There is nothing really new in the amp's magical features. Almost everything mentions has been used before.

There's noting realy "new" in anything audio. How is it "hype" to describe some of the thinking behind the circuitry and how it was designed and built ? Point out the "hype" in that please.

One thing I do, ike are the speaker terminals. The really last great ones I was were on the Sony STR6120, designed to be used with a supplied wrench to really lock them down. All metal no plastic and hardened steel so unlike screw terminals when tightened down they do not stretch and break.

Steel is a wretched conductor for audio.

The screw connecting of important connections such as the factors? How is this unique? Well, maybe to Yamaha, don't know. As for other connections, a goodly number of those Chinese produced boards and amps are using them including some very inexpensive stuff. If this is such a good idea, then maybe everyone who uses terminators on speakers cables sprouting it is better than a mechanical connection are wrong.

Huh?

In the tube days thermal shock was an issue and why component isolation was sought. With ss I doubt it is a concern and one of the benefits espoused by the original users if toroid vs metal core transformers was the elimination of shock and vibration. You could feel transformer vibrations so it was real but I never felt any such thing with a toroid, though I admit, it is not something I got around feeling up too often.

I don't think you understand.

The amp my be excellent, first class and worth every penny of the asking price and I hope it is so well accepted in the market it will convince Yamaha to continue down this path but they need to do something with the marketing side IMHO.

Don't read any typical "high-end" audio ads then. The hype-to-info ratio might cause you medical issues. This looks like a return to Yamaha's roots, and about damn time.

I've wanted to hear one since this one came out:
16870_12073_1.jpg

This looks like an Esoteric chasis design:
CD45BAC0F8CE41038EDBBE21304B5BCF_12074.jpg

Sexy beast, smart of them to borrow from the CA-1000/1010 looks. Classic. I need to hear one of these.
41730_12073_1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a nice looking amp but $8k with .07 THD and only 100w @ 8ohms???

This gem kills it in every respect for about 1/8 the the cost. Way more power, way more headroom and better specs but that is what you would expect with a WOPL anyway. Match it with a killer preamp and call it a day. Build quality on the Yammie is nice but the specs don't support the huge price tag, not even remotely

Yes, you can have a WOPL with all the fancy copper shielding also for a little more

SQrZTIw.jpg

Last edited:
There's more to a great amplifier (and multi-thousand dollar price tags should put one one in the realm of great and not merely good hardware) than sheer output power -- indeed, power is probably at the bottom of my list (right down there with THD) in terms of what's important in choosing an amplifier.

(I don't really expect any of the new Yamahas to be 'great', and the PL depicted in the post above certainly isn't great in terms of sound quality -- although it is OK).

and the PL depicted in the post above certainly isn't great in terms of sound quality -- although it is OK).

There's nothing PL in the amp Brother, just the chassis, tranny and meters. This is a Fully Complimentary WOPL500

Stop by, I will show you how good it sounds. They have trailered Bryston, Levinson, Rowland and several other amps costing up to 15 times more

The faceplate does not always tell the story of what's under the hood. Kind of like that 9 second station wagon that just dusted the $80k+ Viper :D

ahh, I see -- indeed, I cannot guess how it sounds... although I imagine it is fully complementary, but I am sure it's polite.

ahh, I see -- indeed, I cannot guess how it sounds... although I imagine it is fully complementary, but I am sure it's polite.

LOL, my spelling does not work until the third cup of coffee. She is polite but she can also raise serious hell

Seriously though, if your ever up this way, stop by for a beer, cup 'o coffee or a Dr Pepper and a listen

Total Harmonic Distortion (20 Hz–20 kHz)

CD balanced to speaker out 0.025% (50 W / 8 ohms), CD, etc. to speaker out 0.025% (50 W / 8 ohms), Phono MM to Rec Out 0.005% (1.2 V), Phono MC to rec out 0.02% (1.22 V

re read the "specs" menu again. Also the wattage output is 2x.. is additive per channel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom