Fisher SS showing some love... :)

apple_scruff

With all of the wonderful tube gear being shown here lately I decided to show some love for the solid state variety Fisher's by puting one of them next on the rebuild bench.

They all are in working order and are pretty clean.

For fun what are your opinions on which one I should start with? The classic 700T the venerable 500TX or the low man on the totem pole the 160?

The 160 was my grandfather and I used to listen to it in his workshop.
The 500TX was given to me by my uncle years ago.
The 700T was my first real stereo purchase (not given to me by anyone).

They all have sentimental value for different reasons.

Attachments

• Fishers.jpg
    Fishers.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 42
Those look pretty nice, Apple...
I dunno which one you should do first, BUT if it was me, I'd rebuild the one that I listened to the most, and that's usually the one that sounds the best.
I've never seen the insides of a Fisher SS, could you post some pics of that? Would it be just caps that you would have to replace? This should be interesting..:lurk: Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Both the 700T and the 500TX were the TOTL models when they were offered and both, IMHO, look and sound very nice, but if it was my decision, I'll fix the 160 first. I have all 3 and I have always been amazed at how great the 160 sounds. Plus it's looks are very different from the others.

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision...:D

Cheers

Here's my 550-T Top and Bottom views.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4719925

Top View. Amplifier Upper Left, then clockwise 10.7 IF board, Multiplex, 455kHz If board, FM/AM Front end and Tuning cap
100_2305.jpg

Bottom View:
Clockwise from upper left; Preamp board, power supply caps, transformer, Audio control Amp (Tone Amp), Meter and Muting board, and in the center the AM RF BOARD.
100_2304.jpg

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My 500-TX Bottom View
Post Recap. Clockwise from Top left. Power Supply, Pre-Amp, FM Front End, Tone Control, Filter Bd, Transformer. AUTOSCAN BD in Center.

100_1488.jpg

My 500-TX top view

Post Re-Cap. Nothing done to the TWO Tuner Boards to LEFT. AMP is in Back.

100_1490.jpg

The 550-T was built in 67 and the 500-tx is a 71-72 model.

Larry

I cracked open the 700T to take some pictures. Here are some internal shots. My dad worked for Fisher so I have a love for them.

Attachments

• 700t top.JPG
    700t top.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 700t bottom.JPG
    700t bottom.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 24
Those 2 boxes? Amps? Shielded????? Looks a bit different from the 500 and 550, not as deep. and they really packed the undersides.

I definately gotta visit and compare notes now. :naughty:

Larry

Those 2 boxes? Amps? Shielded????? Looks a bit different from the 500 and 550, not as deep. and they really packed the undersides.

I definately gotta visit and compare notes now. :naughty:

Larry

Yes those are the power-drivers for the output stage the metal is actually a heatsink. Your welcome here anytime!

Last edited:
Hey Apple,

My vote is for the 700T.

I have one with a dead channel so would love to see a rebuild on it.

Since I pulled the 700T to snap some pictures I decided to hook it up for a quick test.

Sadly storage has not been kind to it. It worked fine 10 years ago LOL!!! It is weak in both channels. I guess I have a project on my hands. I made some quick voltage measurements and all seems good in the power supply area. I will check the coupling caps among other things. I will also pull out the reverb jumpers and check to see if the problem is pre or post these jacks.

I'll start a new thread and bore you all with the details :) when I dig further into it next week.

boring details on the 700T restoration found here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=539307

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom