Kanye West...the World's Greatest Rock Star

Guest123

I haven't heard any of this guys music (and I don't want to start now) but he apparently headlined the Glastonbury festival in England where he told his fansand the press that he was "the greatest living rock star on the planet". Now I'm not sure of how good this guy is or not but, I wonder how long it will be before he implodes and becomes just another has-been.
With such talk I'm reminded of another ego maniacal, pseudo-talent (one Terence Trent D'Arby) who once raved to his fans and the press that his latest album was "better than Sgt. Peppers" and then proceeded to gradually nose dive into obscurity. You gotta feel a little sorry for these guys, I guess. Hope they made some wise investments.

I think he's good. I agree with you that his ego is so outsized that he'd have to have the talent of several people who I think are way better all rolled into one to live up to the hype. I guess it must be that hip hop self promotion thing, but it rubs me the wrong way and I do pretty much expect an implosion. I'm frankly surprised he's lasted this long.

His massive ego is just part of his brand. Every celebrity promotes a brand of themselves that's not really who they are. It's all just marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Crosby nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

"Kanye West can't write, sing or play, so I have trouble with him as anything but a poser," the Grammy-winning 73-year-old folk rock singer told HuffPost Live in an interview posted on Friday.

"But he can produce," host Alyona Minkovski said.

"Produce," Crosby said. "That means he sits in a chair while the engineer does the work. He's a poser. I'm not backing off it."

His massive ego is just part of his brand. Every celebrity promotes a brand of themselves that's not really who they are. It's all just marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not working for me, he can go screw himself and his ego.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

picture.php

Not even remotely my cup of tea but SOMEBODY sure likes him.

From Wikipedia:

West is one of the best-selling artists of all time, having sold more than 21 million albums and 100 million digital downloads.[1] He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all-time and the most Grammy-awarded artist of his age.[2] Time named West one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2005, 2011 and 2015. He has also been included in a number of Forbes annual lists.[3] Three of his albums rank on Rolling Stone's 2012 "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list; two of his albums feature at #8 and #1 in Pitchfork Media's The 100 Best Albums of 2010–2014.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West

Says a lot about where some mainstream music has gone.....

Edited to add: I'm not confusing commercial success with quality.

Last edited:
There is a more than great chance that he himself wrote the article for Wikipedia. My opinion is: :thumbsdn:

There is a more than great chance that he himself wrote the article for Wikipedia. My opinion is: :thumbsdn:

He left out the part about abusing women. All the braggadocious he wraps around himself, like most, he's compensating for something. Now what could that be.....

Back
Top Bottom