JBL L19 speaker restoration

How do you know if they are 1 or 2 or whatever?

they are 116s with inverted dustcaps.
It says on them what they are.

L19 used 116A Alnico
L19A used 116H ferrite

Other than the magnet material, they are otherwise the same, with identical T/S parameters.

Both have inverted calottes.

The recommended replacement is 116H-3.

Thought I saw you say somewhere you were installing H-2s. :dunno:

It says on them what they are.

L19 used 116A Alnico
L19A used 116H ferrite

Other than the magnet material, they are otherwise the same, with identical T/S parameters.

Both have inverted calottes.

The recommended replacement is 116H-3.

Thought I saw you say somewhere you were installing H-2s. :dunno:

Huh.

The total cost for both woofers ended up being $25 which includes refoaming. Kind of awesome.

After putting all that effort into refinishing them, it would be foolish to assume not. Fix them right for the cost of some scrap plywood strips, new T-Nuts from the hardware store, some wood glue, and maybe longer mounting screws.... :thmbsp:
Zilch speaks the truth -- you and your dad put lots of time and effort into these, they look great, so finish the last step the right way, then sit back, fire 'em up, and be proud of them. :thmbsp:

Okay, its been a while and there has been some frustration but tomorrow I should be able to finish these up if the crossover parts get here! I hope these sound good or else I'll be mighty pissed.

Does anyone have a source for JBL logos for the grills?

I saw some on epay last week...

Badges that is. real JBL's don't need no steenking badges!

Here you go:

Item number: 250382303271 $9.95 (ea.) Your choice of colors.

What color do you want?

Badges that is. real JBL's don't need no steenking badges!

Here you go:

Item number: 250382303271 $9.95 (ea.) Your choice of colors.

What color do you want?

Ouch, two badges is more $$ than I spent refoaming the woofers!

I think I'll just live with it.

I know what you mean...

Ouch, two badges is more $$ than I spent refoaming the woofers!

I think I'll just live with it.

I don't have any badges on my L110's, that's why I was looking...
Actually, it was a few months before I realized that they used to have them, and I've gotten used to the straight black look without them. It doesn't add anything to the :music:

$30+$5+$15+$15+$35= $100 give or take right now, I'd say that's fine for essentially brand new speakers. There is one broken peg for the grill and the badges are missing so that would be probably like $120 total if I decided to get those too.

$30+$5+$15+$15+$35= $100 give or take right now, I'd say that's fine for essentially brand new speakers. There is one broken peg for the grill and the badges are missing so that would be probably like $120 total if I decided to get those too.

Sir.Byrd,
I have some extra grille pegs, if you PM me your address I'll mail you one.

Larry

Grr. Crossover caps didn't show up today, they are 2 days late.

EDIT: actually they just sent to my home address and not the shop.
Weird.
Anyways, I MIGHT be putting these in place tomorrow.

Last edited:
BAH! I read 18 uF as 10!!! ARRRrggg, oh well, new caps are coming by friday. $12 each. Ouch.

lrb1951 was nice enough to send me a grill peg, and that should be here around the same time so then MAYBE I can finish this upcoming weekend.

The good news is that the 10 uf caps are a common value and I can probably use them in another pair of speakers

The Old:
DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

The New:
DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

BAH! I read 18 uF as 10!!! ARRRrggg, oh well, new caps are coming by friday. $12 each. Ouch.

lrb1951 was nice enough to send me a grill peg, and that should be here around the same time so then MAYBE I can finish this upcoming weekend.

The good news is that the 10 uf caps are a common value and I can probably use them in another pair of speakers

Burhoe Modules.

The 8" 2 way design by Winslow Burhoe, you know, EPI 100 series?

Great sounding little systems, 8" woofer, 1" "air spring" tweeters and one 10uf cap for the crossover.

Try one, you like it. They compare very favorably to the L19 in my opinion, response from like 48 to 1800 is virtually flat, very smooth.

The 8" 2 way design by Winslow Burhoe, you know, EPI 100 series?

Great sounding little systems, 8" woofer, 1" "air spring" tweeters and one 10uf cap for the crossover.

Try one, you like it. They compare very favorably to the L19 in my opinion, response from like 48 to 1800 is virtually flat, very smooth.

Okay, well I have yet to listen to the L-19s anyways.

BTW can you post up a parts list on the re-cap? I don't want to tear mine down until I get my new Epi's and want to order the parts tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom