What brand signal cables are you using for your McIntosh gear?

On my main system upstairs I use AudioQuest King Cobra. Downstairs on the vintage system I use some AudioQuest and various other cables I had lying around.

Kimber Hero for XLR balanced connections, stock Linn for turntable, Nordost Quattro Fil for tuner (just happened to have a pair).

Cable is the last thing you should spend the money for it. Don't buy cheap one but don't buy Monster or Audioquest or any exotic brand. I own few cables of these brands and some other decent cable and the true is: Can't tell the different except price.

when I put Sablon power cables on my modern Mc gear, surprise is putting it mildly. Same thing happened when I heard what the Cardas Golden Reference did…or allowed my equipment to do. I’m not sure which it is. All I know is, the Sablon PCs and the Cardas GR is staying here.

I also really liked Stealth PGS (don’t knock amorphous conductors til you try em). I also kept some Cardas Hexlink, that is good stuff with McIntosh, and can be found used at good prices .

I tried the Mogami 2549 to see what I could get away with and it does sound great. it’s just that there’s more information coming through with the Cardas in the system. Initially noticed the scale of the presentation had grown much larger with the Cardas. They seemed to add an extra sense of focus to the music and bass is now three dimensional like the rest of it. As always with this stuff, YMMV and in the end, it’s a matter of preference. You gotta try it for awhile and find out.

~88 % of my house`s 5 room`s Mc based audio systems use various Monster cable brand interconnects, and speaker cables.
With DH Labs for the XLR balanced interconnects and speaker cables for the (4) Mc. MC-275LE mono configured L/R MF/HF amps driving my living room`s Mc. XRT-30 speaker system`s multi driver MF/HF arrays in a tri-amplified (80>1,700 Hertz), configuration.

Last edited:
For 30 years I have used Alpha 2442C for my speakers.

Full disclosure: in the late 80s early 90s I worked for Alpha Wire (now Belden) and my cable was free.

I have been using the same cable for 30 years. Now with the addition of my new speakers, I believe it is time to change.

The Alpha (2 con 14 awg) is$300 p 100ft (minimum purchase)

I have been looking at Belden 5TU00P (2 x 10 awg) which is significantly cheaper. I like that the AWG of the Belden is thicker than the Alpha, however I have read mixed reviews of the Belden.

As I have used the Alpha for many years with zero issues and like the way they perform, I will more than likely stick with this.

Anyone using either of these or have opinion at this price point?

I have been using 'worlds best cables' (WBC) bought on Amazon. I like the directional (shield only connected on one side) using Mogami 2534 Quad wire and Amphenol connectors. All my interconnects are RCA type. These are in the $30-$40 per pair range and come with many choices of length, and wire, and connectors.
All have arrived in good condition.

WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and their Gold & Platinum 7 & 8 for the XLR & RCA IC's. Very pleased with their quality and what I hear.

Last edited:
I am interested in knowing what brand signal cables your using on your Mc gear. I am going to move things around and will need to get some replacements for my signal cables. The person I used to get them from on AG is no longer selling. I will be shopping soon, and wondered what others used.

My goal here is not to have a thread about why one brand or type is better than the other, but just to get a list of sellers to check out.

Thanks

Am using Cardas Clear Beyond but have tried many others. There are quite a few good cables out there.

Blue Jeans, 400 series Monster Cable, and cables I make myself using RG 58 with Monster Cable connectors. The few balanced cables are Canare 4 ES with Switch craft and Cannon XLR Connectors, with gold pins. As I use three Crown EQ-2 equalizers I also use Switchcraft 1/4 inch phone plugs with Belden RG-58.

Good Cables are no mistake, but try hanging the top notch stuff off the backs of most vintage gear and their old fashioned jacks, you'll likely damage the jacks, or at minimum get a horrible connection.

They seem to like the $5.99 variety from Rat Shack much better.

^^^and that there is why they need some support 2” off or so. A strain relief of sorts

Back
Top Bottom