c2300 discontinued?

mgrenwic

Hello.

My closest dealer is telling me the c2300 is discontinued, is this legit? I just don't want the dac for personal preference reasons and would prefer the 2300.

Last edited:
Hello.

My closest dealer is telling me the c2300 is discontinued, is this legit? I just don't want the dac for personal preference reasons and would prefer the 2300.

Could be, I think it might be the oldest pre-amp in the current lineup.....I wouldn't be surprised if that was correct...

Why not get the C2500 and the D150? The C2500 analogue/tube section outperforms the C2300, I suspect McIntosh advances in development when the released the C2500....Lower distortion, better signal to noise....How that translates to the difference in sound...well who knows..
I have heard a C2500 and I thought it actually had a SS feel about it....

Are you wanting a Tube pre specifically?

Check with Audioclassics. They may have some in stock still. If not, I'm sure you could find one gently used somewhere (or there). It's a super piece of equipment esp if you have a MC cartridge. Otherwise the C220 or the C2200 are also nice tube pre options.

Could be, I think it might be the oldest pre-amp in the current lineup.....I wouldn't be surprised if that was correct...

Why not get the C2500 and the D150? The C2500 analogue/tube section outperforms the C2300, I suspect McIntosh advances in development when the released the C2500....Lower distortion, better signal to noise....How that translates to the difference in sound...well who knows..
I have heard a C2500 and I thought it actually had a SS feel about it....

Are you wanting a Tube pre specifically?

Yes, I prefer the tube sound and find it cool that the tubes can be changed out to experiment with different sounds.

I really can't justify getting the 2500 just to bypass the dac with the D150 - it would just eat up to many funds that I would like to use for other things. On the other hand I am slightly hesitant with the functionality of the onboard dac which was pushing me toward the 2300 with an outboard dac.

Yes, I prefer the tube sound and find it cool that the tubes can be changed out to experiment with different sounds.

I really can't justify getting the 2500 just to bypass the dac with the D150 - it would just eat up to many funds that I would like to use for other things. On the other hand I am slightly hesitant with the functionality of the onboard dac which was pushing me toward the 2300 with an outboard dac.

Solid logic

Im sure someone will have a C2300 in stock, or as mentioned Audio Classics might have a lightly used one.....
Consider this however, the C2500 is not just a C2300 with a DAC, it is actually a whole new development with regards to the analogue pre-amp performance, they are not the same.....
I doubt it would be much cheaper without the DAC.....But it beats me why they don't offer it without the DAC so we can choose what digital option we want....

The C2300 is a hugely popular pre-amp, possibly one of the most popular McIntosh have ever made....

You'll find one, contact Audio Classics........:thmbsp:

Consider this however, the C2500 is not just a C2300 with a DAC, it is actually a whole new development with regards to the analogue pre-amp performance, they are not the same.....

Ahhh...I know, this is what is killing me, everyone keeps telling me this so I have become paralyzed. I wish I could wake up tmrw and see a nice refresh of the 2500 with the same dac out of the 150 built in....a guy can dream.

I've got some thinking to do.

Ahhh...I know, this is what is killing me, everyone keeps telling me this so I have become paralyzed. I wish I could wake up tmrw and see a nice refresh of the 2500 with the same dac out of the 150 built in....a guy can dream.

I've got some thinking to do.

I will share this with you though, although they have further developed the performance of the C2500 from the C2300, when I was listening to the C2500, I could not tell the difference between the C48 and the C2500.....to me they sounded almost identical...
I went with the C48 because it was cheaper, sounded great at less than half the price, and has the same DAC, and the C48 has more features with its EQ.....
I suspect, and say suspect because I don't really know, but its possible that the C2300 might have more of a "tube" sound than the C2500 given my listening experience with the C2500....
Food for thought.....:scratch2:

I "think" you would be splitting hairs between analog sections of the C2300 and C2500 in a double blind taste test, although I have not listened to the C2500. If you were going to buy an outboard DAC then it seems crazy to double up. Perhaps you might just wait for the C2550 which I don't even know would ever exist but if the DSD DXD thing ever gets some legs I would imagine that Mac would fill that gap in an all inclusive unit at some point.

I "think" you would be splitting hairs between analog sections of the C2300 and C2500 in a double blind taste test, although I have not listened to the C2500. If you were going to buy an outboard DAC then it seems crazy to double up. Perhaps you might just wait for the C2550 which I don't even know would ever exist but if the DSD DXD thing ever gets some legs I would imagine that Mac would fill that gap in an all inclusive unit at some point.

But "splitting hairs" is what it often comes down to right? Whether its auditory or just a feeling, its all valid..
How you "feel" about what you have is also valid no matter how matter how silly it may seem.........
Just thinking out loud.....

Hello.

Yes. It was discontinued. But Mac still has it on their website even though it was discontinued a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom