Mcintosh and Snell Acoustics AII speakers

TomA

Hi, i've got a "new" pair of speakers.
Snell Acoustics AII, they are really big speakers, and they sound great
with my MX 113 and MC 2505.
My question is , should I connect them on the 4 Ohm or on the 8 Ohm posts?
I can't find much Infos about these old snells on the web, so hopefully ,
some of you guys can help.
Thanx a lot,

Thomas

http://www.snell.no/the_archives_type_A.htm

Model: Type A/II
Years in Production: 1981-1982
Original Price per Pair: $1600.00
Power Rating in Watts: 80-200
Frequency Response: 36Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 4 ohm
Sensitivity: 86 dB
Dimensions: 25.5x23.75x13
Woofer: 10"
Mid: 4"
Tweeter: 1"
Rear Tweeter: 1"

Use the 4 ohm taps.

Note the sensitivity of the speakers @86 dB is on the low side. Keep an eye on the meters of your MC 2505 not to overdrive the amplifier.

On this model, +3 dB meter reading indicates the amplifier is delivering 50 watts when the meter range is at the 0 dB setting.

You may want to look into a more powerful amplifier at some point in the future with this model loudspeaker.

Hi Caddy, thank you for this link. This is what I was searching for.

Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Snell speakers are sweet. I have a small pair that I have stashed away.

I have no comment regarding your choice of Mc, because the Mc2505 was my first piece (still have it) and it is in my top 5 Mc pieces of all time - and the Mc60s are my favorite vintage Mc tube amps (after the Mc225 of course).

Looking at the above, I guess I did have a comment after all...:sigh:

No need to be buying any more audio for the rest of this life, you're set. (I hope your wife doesn't read this forum)

Hi Caddy, thanks a lot .
Hi CountD, thank you for your warm words.
Yes, I am nearly finished, but only nearly...
Next thing on my wish list is an MX110 Preceiver for the MC60 amps.
I think these tube amps deserve an tube preamp.
As I live in germany, it is not so easy for me to find one,
but I am in contact with a guy who wants to sell his one, so wish me luck please.
Nearby, I apologise for speaking and writing your language not so perfect...

Kind regards,
Thomas

Now that you have caught the Mac Bug and you have in efficient speakers, I see a larger Mac amp in your future. 2205, 7200, are possibilities. But if you want the power Guard rating to match the speaker I would look for a 2155, 7150, Mc150 etc. I envy you in the future of discovering the joys of exploring sound reproduction.

Your english is way better than our German. I once said, "Ich mochte ein teller bier bitte" in a pub in Duisburg ... oops.

2155. 7150, MC 150, MC152, 7100, to much power by a touch, MC2205, 2255, by a bunch 7200, 7300, MC300, MC252. You could get a MA 7900 and be done with it. But these won't be your last speakers so I would stick with separates. You have to remember the average Mac SS amp puts out about 33% more than rated. And the direct coupled amps put out a bunch at 4 ohms compared to 8 ohm rating. So a 7200 will tie a 7300 at 4 ohms. A 7100 is the same way putting out close to the same power as a 2205 at 4 ohms. So be careful on your selection. 7100 and 7200 don't have autoformers and put out a bunch of current.

OK,:yes: a bigger Amp, we will see what future will bring,
maybe an MC 2105, but even with my "small" MC2505 sound is excellent.:yes:

Thomas

The look of the Snells with there walnut cases was a little boring to me.
So I decide to give them a little color..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 31
Very "avant guarde" cabinet treatment. :cool:

Glad to hear the "little" MC 2505 is working well with the Snells.

So long as the amplifier is able to provide satisfactory listening levels without being overdriven, you may never need to upgrade it.

If you do decide you need more power, I would recommend an amplifier with a minimum of 200 wpc in order to make a noteworthy difference in peak headroom.

Back
Top Bottom