What to do with a 240

J Schneider

AK Member
Looking for some advice here.

I recently found a 240 power amp at a local thrift shop. I paid $100 for it. It was in sad shape. See attached.

I have sent it up to AudioClassics in NY and am working with Ryan. I originally wanted to do a complete restore of it (anticipated around $400 to $600) but Ryan says it's had a hard life and to do a complete restore would cost around $1600 which would include sanding down the chrome and giving it a hammertone finish. There is a lot of pitting and nothing can be done with that. To just do a sonic restore to get it back to spec would be about $800.

So far I have about $210 into the unit which includes the shipping and box I ordered from AudioClassics to get it to them.

I would want to use this amp and then maybe sell it or maybe not. I have a 2010 275 power amp and a C2300 so it's not like I am lacking in McIntosh gear. I've also got three other more vintage tube amps. Ryan says the 240 would provide a bit smoother / warmer sound than my 275. I'm a big jazz listener and don't crank my system so that appeals to me.

I've vowed to be a little more frugal in 2015 so am just uncertain about what to do.

1. Just bail out now and don't do anything with it.
2. Get it to sonic spec, live with it, then maybe sell it.
3. Do the full restore, live with it, then maybe sell it.

Any advice here?

BTW, I should mention that I love the guys at AudioClassics. Mike (who has sold me a lot of gear) and Ryan have been nothing but straightforward and knowledgeable in all my dealings. If they are reading here, thanks guys.

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 156
you could send it to me... ;-) That said, I'd restore it electronically and listen to it.

Personally, I would not spend another nickel on it and just list it on eBay with no reserve.

Happily there is a ripe and ready market for desirable vintage units that are in need such as this and you should have no trouble getting a good buck for it just as it is.

The transformers are worth more then you have in it in any working condition. So I would agree with the previous poster to ebay it if you want a quick financial return on your investment.
Parts are Parts as they say lol...Happy reselling...:thmbsp:

Interesting post.

I just re-do a MC225. In good shape but I had to add $1000+ for a total re-tune. Was not economical in that sense, but I loved doing this for my own pleasure. Now everyday I listen to it, I have an happy feeling of something good I did.

For your amplifier, I would re-do it. Just for the sake a saving a beautiful McIntosh piece from been cannibalized.

In the end, and with a new chassis (I know a guy who does them), your 240 will be like new for a cost < $2000+. Not a bad financial operation, and certainly a good one for your interest for McIntosh gear.

New Reproduction Chrome Chassis are available from a seller in Prescott, AZ on that auction site. $200 and some change . . . [Look in completed auctions . . . ]

Agreed, parts value alone should be well worth the OP's total outlay if not exceed it.

Make certain you list "not working/ for parts only" and nothing beyond that. Any material statements such as "transformers believed good" can be used by the buyer to back out of the deal.

Chances are it'll be snapped up by somebody familiar with this unit who has rebuilt many before.

"Now everyday I listen to it, I have an happy feeling of something good I did."

Brice - that is a very good point. I wish I could do this kind of thing myself but I am just not a technical kind of person. I just like listening to the music.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm leaning toward doing a sonic / electrical restore and then finding a reproduction chassis. Doing anything to the current metal is not going to give it more value. Hopefully, AC can clean up the transformers a bit though as those are pretty unsightly.

Jonathan

" I'm leaning toward doing a sonic / electrical restore and then finding a reproduction chassis. Doing anything to the current metal is not going to give it more value. Hopefully, AC can clean up the transformers a bit though as those are pretty unsightly.

Jonathan

I'm not sure that make sense as you'd have to take all components out of the chassis after AC does the rebuilt of the electronics... That would mean removing all the tube socket, disconnecting the boards, transformers and such.

I think it would help if you could do some of the cleaning of the unit and refurbishing the exterior and then send it to AC. Also, you might want to talk to Terry DeWick as I understand his prices are lower then AC with substantially longer wait time. You could afford more of the restoration... :scratch2:

Personally, I would buy replacement chassis and do the swap myself, including electronic restoration but I understand your reluctance. I was in a same boat as I recently re-did a pair of MC60's and it wasn't too difficult; I've received good advice here and read "Hints & kinks" section.

Good luck.

I've looked the picture again:
Man, that amp had a hard life!! :tears:

I guess that's what FL moisture can do to the equipment. I used to live in WPB and was just down there a month ago....

You might just want to cut your losses and auction it on Ebay. I'm sure you'd be pleasantly surprised with the $$ outcome. :yes:

So for just over $1K you'll have a 240 that is working perfectly or you can dump it on ebay?

A little buffing of the chassis & transformers may not make it a beauty queen, but it will certainly look much more presentable. Who gets a perfectly operating 240 for that price? I'd keep it and listen to it. You'll love the sound.

TR6 - I was going to have the repro chassis sent to AC so they could swap it out when they do the electric work. Yes, it would not make sense to have those taken out again once done.

For some reason, I don't want to let it go. I've never found anything at a thrift store except this.

FYI, I got this at the Habitat Restore (run by Habitat For Humanity). My contractor friend alerted me to the finds there. It's a big step up from Goodwill. HR does not sell clothes - you'll find big furniture there, doors, sinks and all kinds of fixtures, windows, etc. Apparently, it's the place where many people go after they have gutted a house and scavenged everything. I see them all over the states when I travel so I'd recommend a visit.

They have a wall of electronics and this was just sitting there. Next to it was a Harman Kardon Citation I pre-amp. It was $50 and must have come from the same house. It's too coincidental for two vintage tube pieces to be there on the same day. I picked it up too.

It's dusty and needs a thorough cleaning and replacement knob but sounds pretty good. Pic attached.

Attachments

• Citation1.jpg
    Citation1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 64
Heaven forbid - however unlikely - even just one of the transformers is bad, then what are you gonna do? You will be sunk.

A pig in a poke is no match for a bird in the hand - not in my book.

And the fact remains getting the thing working will still be a long hard uphill battle and a minimum of $1,500+ on top of what is invested so far, not counting tubes!

The wisest thing to do is flip it and go buy a good one. Audio Classics has a real decent MC 240 right now for $2,500 which I'm sure they'd be happy to negotiate on and you're done + 90 day warranty.

My father used to say a junkyard Corvette cost more than a new one on the showroom floor. No truer words were ever spoken.

Last edited:
62caddy - good advice. AC has given me a firm quote on it so I suspect they have already tested everything and know what they are in for. I will verify.

But the rational part of my brain says you are correct. Even though your username is 62caddy!

I would contact yves beauvais he will re-chrome your 240 or restore it he sells on ebay and I think a few aker's have done business with him and I have seen some of his work and its really good.Here is a link http://vintagevacuumaudio.com/

Last edited:
Update here...

I had Audioclassics do an electronic restore. I have it back now and this amp sings. I haven't done extensive A / B tests next to the 2010 270 but from what I hear, I am very pleased.

It also has some nice (but not matched) tubes in it - Hammonds, Telefunkens, and some Sovteks.

I guess it's not much to look at it but at least the McIntosh logo is still in good shape. It will make for an interesting story.

Jonathan

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 72
Back