d100

ORANGE1688

do i need to get a seperate preamp like c 48 to get best out of my cd? I mostly just listen to CDs. Thanks in advance.

If you only use digital sources a D100 is all you need. It is a Preamp. It just doesn't have analog inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do i need to get a seperate preamp like c 48 to get best out of my cd? I mostly just listen to CDs. Thanks in advance.

as stated, you only need a separate pre for the analogue sources you may have. Keeping the signal pathway direct is prefered by many/most.

Thanks for your inputs. That was my initial assumption as well after reading the spec. But some of the tube pre amp owners in audiogon suggested they perceive more open air and music is more live if they have the d100 go thru their existent preamp in comparsion to connecting d100 straight to amp. I was wondering other d100/d150 owners experience the same result.

I've not tried my D100 direct to the power amp and I'm not interested in trying it either. Yes you can use it direct as a preamp/DAC but there are many folks who prefer the sound when used as a DAC only into a separate preamp, be it tube or SS.
I use it as a DAC going to my C48 because I insist on the benefits of tailoring my sound with the C48's 5 band EQ.

I use the D100 and it sends it's output via balanced XLR out to my MX119 pre-amp.

The use of a C220 or similar tube pre-amp is more of a listening preference issue than a functional issue unless you have analog sources to connect to. If all your sources have a digital out, the D100 will perform all the pre-amp functions you need.

My D100 is used as a DAC and headphone amplifier in my setup.

Thanks for your inputs. That was my initial assumption as well after reading the spec. But some of the tube pre amp owners in audiogon suggested they perceive more open air and music is more live if they have the d100 go thru their existent preamp in comparsion to connecting d100 straight to amp. I was wondering other d100/d150 owners experience the same result.

Well, since a preamp in the pure form, is not supposed to alter the signal, any alteration (which we all know tubes add) is your decision. Many people love what tubes add. :yes:

People use equalizers too to color their music as they like. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom