Yamaha EQ Fluorescent Display

Capt Odyssea

In Yamalibrium
I've got the Yamaha EQ 500u, One green column of segments ceased working years ago, either channel selected (or both)
60hz Column.(30,--,120, 240, 480, 1k, etc)
Recently, I put it back in service, and I realized it was working again!
Worked for a day or two, then died, worked again the following day then died again and has not worked since.

I was poking around ebay the other day, here is one for sale, lo and behold, same segment is out on this unit also. (it was powered up for the pics)

I have not opened it up yet, anyone dealt with this before?
Cold Solder joint? Bad resistor?
EQ bands all work fine, it just irritates!

I've got the Yamaha EQ 500u, One green column of segments ceased working years ago, either channel selected (or both)
60hz Column.(30,--,120, 240, 480, 1k, etc)
Recently, I put it back in service, and I realized it was working again!
Worked for a day or two, then died, worked again the following day then died again and has not worked since.

I was poking around ebay the other day, here is one for sale, lo and behold, same segment is out on this unit also. (it was powered up for the pics)

I have not opened it up yet, anyone dealt with this before?
Cold Solder joint? Bad resistor?
EQ bands all work fine, it just irritates!

Sounds like a cold solder connection.

Thanks Avionic,
looking for moral support!
I'll prob take it outta the stack, open it up and poke around.
Eyesight ain't what it used to be, even with glasses!

Hey Avionic,
put the EQ on the Bench, (piano Stool !!)
and investigated the display, seems to me that the display segments are all "charged" together, all legs from the Actual glass display are obviously into the board behind at the top.
they all seem fine, all lower row of solder joints on that board look fine also,
I twisted the metal tabs straight to separate the Glass display from that PCB board, to check components behind it, but do not want to destroy anything.
Any clues?
I also re-seated the opposite end of the 4 ribbon cables, on the board middle of the chassis.
I'm thinking reheat the pin Solder joints anyway?

What components might be behind that board to cause a problem on one segment only? (or to better describe, one column non working, the 60hz column no matter if left right or both Signals selected for display)

Hey Avionic,
put the EQ on the Bench, (piano Stool !!)
and investigated the display, seems to me that the display segments are all "charged" together, all legs from the Actual glass display are obviously into the board behind at the top.
they all seem fine, all lower row of solder joints on that board look fine also,
I twisted the metal tabs straight to separate the Glass display from that PCB board, to check components behind it, but do not want to destroy anything.
Any clues?
I also re-seated the opposite end of the 4 ribbon cables, on the board middle of the chassis.
I'm thinking reheat the pin Solder joints anyway?

What components might be behind that board to cause a problem on one segment only? (or to better describe, one column non working, the 60hz column no matter if left right or both Signals selected for display)

Need some pix's

Se attached AV, no components behind Circuit board behind the display, just straight jumpers and terminations.

Display is not lit in pic 2, but it is the second verticle strip from the left that is out.
it seems to have the faintest of glow at the bottom when powered up, but that could be spill over from the others?

Attachments

• eq1.JPG
    eq1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 19
  • eq2.JPG
    eq2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 18
  • eq3.JPG
    eq3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 20
  • eq4.JPG
    eq4.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 17
Just wondering, what voltage would or should be present on each lead incoming,
I do have a Multi meter.
Power is supplied on a separate lead entering the side of the board.

I pulled the mother board it is tethered to, inspected the solder joints on that board, everything looks fine, at this point I stand a chance of mucking up solder joints as much as proofing them.
Not as steady as once was.......
still bugs me though.
any thoughts AV let me know,

Hmm. Without a schematic ,about all I can suggest is reflowing all those display soldered connections with a tad bit of fresh solder.See if that helps any.

Back
Top Bottom