Kutztown (PA) Radio Show XXXI September 19-20

I'd say look for the guy in the tie-dye, but I can't find the shirt. I'll be wearing my goofy fisherman's hat instead. Its the hat I wear when boating to keep my balding fat head from burning due to daystar exposure.

Well, I was planning on being there early, cash in hand, ready to buy a tube amp from someone. However, it looks like that's not going to happen. A sizable check was supposed to make it's way to me by today, and it didn't. So now, even if comes tomorrow, by the time I get it and deposit it, it'll be at least 11:00, and I'll be out there by noon at the earliest.

I'm afraid by then all the good stuff will be gone. What do you think? Is there any reason to go by that point, or did I miss out?

Ugh, I'm so disgusted. I've been looking forward to this for months.

Last edited:
Well, I was planning on being there early, cash in hand, ready to buy a tube amp from someone. However, it looks like that's not going to happen. A sizable check was supposed to make it's way to me by today, and it didn't. So now, even if comes tomorrow, by the time I get it and deposit it, it'll be at least 11:00, and I'll be out there by noon at the earliest.

I'm afraid by then all the good stuff will be gone. What do you think? Is there any reason to go by that point, or did I miss out?

Ugh, I'm so disgusted. I've been looking forward to this for months.

Oh yeah, still worth going. I've seen tube amps at reasonable prices still there in the afternoon. It's very unpredictable.

What kind of tube amp are you looking for?

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. Actually, come to think of it, I bought my CJ PV-2AR preamp there in the afternoon for $300.

As far as tube amps, I'm looking for one I can afford..LOL! Since I have a CJ preamp, I'd ideally like to stick with them for the power amp too, or possibly Audio Research. However, I know they can be expensive. I'm not averse to something else older (Dynaco, etc). I don't think I'd need more than 35-40 watts per side. My main requirement is that it be in working order, as I'm not really a tech. I can change tubes, adjusting bias with pots and a meter, but that's about as far as I go.

Probably the only way I could do a non-working amp was if it was such a good deal that I could afford to have a tech fix it up and still be in the black.

-Jon

I'd say look for the guy in the tie-dye, but I can't find the shirt. I'll be wearing my goofy fisherman's hat instead. Its the hat I wear when boating to keep my balding fat head from burning due to daystar exposure.

OH No,,,
Hope I recognize you out of uniform!!!!
See ya tomorrow,,,

Regards,
John

You may not be in luck finding CJ or ARC stuff, but odder things have happened. Its fun to walk around and look at cool old radios even if you don't buy anything. I think my favorite show was the one a year or so back when there was a small fleet of EH Scott radios at the auction. I didn't buy one, but man were they neat to check out.

My check came in early this morning, so it looks like I'm off! I'll be wearing my tan sheepskin jacket, grey shirt, and brownish corduroys.

My buddy Tom Mau got a Conrad Johnson tube preamp for $400.
I got a 1A variac for $10 and a funky victrola tonearm & horn for $10 to hang from the beams in the cave.
All-in-all a beautiful day well spent. We got there earlier than usual-about 10:15.
Don't know if that is significant, but it seemed the best of the five I've attended.
Hung with Gadget and that dumb sonobitch I nominated for member of the year, NJCanuck.

Got back a short time ago,,, 422 traffic was jammed from Oaks to KoP,,, I bailed on Rt 23...
Got a bunch of tubes, a NOS pair of 829Bs and sockets,,, lots of chokes and transformers.... Pioneer SX34B without tubes, thinking of using the OPTs for a different project as it may be too far gone to restore...a RCA console amp, and lots of small parts...
Seems the format of the meet changed somewhat, the auction usually held Saturday PM, was moved to Friday PM... not sure what the changes will do to venders staying on Saturday, but I decided to not go back tomorrow, think I got enough projects to hold me for a while!!!
It was a beautiful day, and good to meet up with a few AKers...

Regards,
John

I made it back late afternoon with pretty light traffic. I actually came home with less stuff than I went with. Gadget is pony expressing some monster subwoofer kits to Ohighway in Maryland for me (Thanks Gadget :thmbsp:). Wifey was very proud of me. :yes:

Picked up a nice Tek scope cart, a bench power supply, some 2a variacs and misc hardware for very little money. Also a mystery tool that I'll post about about later. There was a lot of good stuff this time but not better than what I already have.

Hooked up with Knockbill, Gadget, Pfcs49 and his friend Tom, stopped by Ekimetsok's table and said hi, but missed Azriel somehow. It was loads of fun watching master negotiator, Knockbill, shop for tubes. His upper limit is $1/tube! He got laughed at a lot but he also scored a lot of good tubes.

It was a great day! :tresbon:

I knew I should have worn that fluorescent orange shirt! Next time!

I came home with a few beautiful restored radios, a Marantz 2216B, some KLH Sixes in need of much love, Three Altec Eqs, and a Bogen Challenger. I'm thinking of having the Bogen made into a guitar amp.

-Jon

Last edited:
I knew I should have worn that fluorescent orange shirt! Next time!

I came home with a few beautiful restored radios, a Marantz 2216B, some KLH Sixes in need of much love, Three Altec Eqs, and a Bogen Challenger. I'm thinking of having the Bogen made into a guitar amp.

-Jon

Wow! Quite a haul - looks like you had fun spending that check.

Most of the gear came from the auction, and was actually quite cheap. The three Altec EQs were $2.50, the Marantz was $42.50. So it worked out well.

Yes, moving the auction to Friday was to try and keep vendors up and running later on Saturday, which worked, to a certain extent. Flea market was a ghost town by 12:45 or so, a little later than usual. I guess it will be a few more meets before there's a significant change in the collective mind-set. On the other hand, the Friday night auction was a big hit. A standing room only, fast paced sale, ending early enough for everyone to come out early enough to still enjoy the fireworks, fellowship, a few cool ones, and the traditional Adios Radios bonfire. Had a great time.

Yes, moving the auction to Friday was to try and keep vendors up and running later on Saturday, which worked, to a certain extent. Flea market was a ghost town by 12:45 or so, a little later than usual. I guess it will be a few more meets before there's a significant change in the collective mind-set.

So Saturday was worth staying for, I guess? I figured the out of area vendors might leave early, since teh auction was Friday... Any new guys set up for Saturday?
I planned to go back Sat, but talking to Gadget, we decided it wouldn't be worth it,,,
Interested to see how it works out next time...

Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom