CA-1010 vs. A-S1000 / CA-2010 vs. A-S2000

Why don't you get a totally refurbed CA-1010 and a 2010.
And a new A-S1000 and 2000. And be the first to write a smashing review..:thmbsp:

Why don't you get a totally refurbed CA-1010 and a 2010.
And a new A-S1000 and 2000. And be the first to write a smashing review..:thmbsp:

As soon as I win the lottery! :thmbsp:

Until then I'll hope someone has already done that and tells how it went. :D

I wonder if anyone has compared these Yammies, the late 70's vs. current TOTL amplifiers.

I can compare it to C4/M4, C-50/B-6 and A-1 only. The A-S2000 has a reasonable phono stage, but by far not as good as those in the vintage gear. The A-S2000 can sound a bit thin with MM carts, MC is a bit better but still not a revealing. Compared to the C-4/M-4 combo, the new one sounds a bit more powerful, has slightly fuller bass and warmer mids. I'd say it depends on the speaker which you prefer. In the A-S2000 there is absolutely no (=0dB) gain error in the volume pot regardless the position, which is really an advantage. The input sources are switched by a relay and not by nasty, corrosion prone switches. This amp is heavy, 22.6kg! Despite the rather humble power rating of 2x90W it can play loud, I mean really loud. Considering the build and sound quality the value for money of the A-S2000 is fantastic. The smaller A-S1000 is considered same quality only missing the symmetrical inputs and having smaller caps in the PS. If you listen to vinyl, you might want a separate phono stage, otherwise I can highly recommend these amplifiers. The A-S series uses some smd parts and it is rather densely packed with electronics. To access the phono pcb is a nightmare.

So were the CA-X010 when they were new. ;)

670 & 800 bucks back in 1977-1979. How much that might be nowadays?

I paid $100.00 for my CA1010 a few months back. It worked well and it's currently being refurbed at Avionics shop:thmbsp:

I can compare it to C4/M4, C-50/B-6 and A-1 only. The A-S2000 has a reasonable phono stage, but by far not as good as those in the vintage gear. The A-S2000 can sound a bit thin with MM carts, MC is a bit better but still not a revealing. Compared to the C-4/M-4 combo, the new one sounds a bit more powerful, has slightly fuller bass and warmer mids. I'd say it depends on the speaker which you prefer. In the A-S2000 there is absolutely no (=0dB) gain error in the volume pot regardless the position, which is really an advantage. The input sources are switched by a relay and not by nasty, corrosion prone switches. This amp is heavy, 22.6kg! Despite the rather humble power rating of 2x90W it can play loud, I mean really loud. Considering the build and sound quality the value for money of the A-S2000 is fantastic. The smaller A-S1000 is considered same quality only missing the symmetrical inputs and having smaller caps in the PS. If you listen to vinyl, you might want a separate phono stage, otherwise I can highly recommend these amplifiers. The A-S series uses some smd parts and it is rather densely packed with electronics. To access the phono pcb is a nightmare.
Thank you for your comments! Any ideas how good is the phono stage of CA-1010?

When EW refurb'd a CA-2010 for me many years back he commented that it had an exceptionally good phono-stage. If the CA-1010 has the same, then.......... As with all vintage gear, if you expect it to sound its best it could do with a recap of the audio signal path. Caps get old and today's are considerably better than the originals.

....... it is rather densely packed with electronics. To access the phono pcb is a nightmare.
Sounds as if not much has changed in the design of the TOTL integrated amps.

I've had AS 2000 integrated amplifier for about two weeks. It powers Infinity RSIIIa speakers.

Is beautiful piece of equipment and its heavy components give extra punch to dynamics and deep bass at higher volume levels. At lower listening levels, to me, it sounds about the same as the last two receivers, which is smooth and neutral. The speaker/room sound dominates. I have no experience w/ phono stage, but have listened to very well recorded digital sources (24/192).

I'm very happy with it. Motivation for purchase was ample power supply, low impedance/difficult load performance, and high build quality. The controls have a nice feel to them. Weight wise its a beast.

Last edited:
Fuses are kinda tubey... :arrow:

I'd love to be able to compare the A-S2000 to the new Harman/Kardon HK990. It's great to see a few well-known manufacturers putting out high quality 2-channel gear again!

I'd love to be able to compare the A-S2000 to the new Harman/Kardon HK990. It's great to see a few well-known manufacturers putting out high quality 2-channel gear again!
Yeah..... if the Yamaha were made in Japan rather than the lowest bidder factory in Malaysia and the HK were made in the USA rather than the lowest bidder factory in China. Guess quality today is like sound............. in the eyes of the beholder. I'll stick to made in the USA or at least made in Japan. You can keep your 'lowest bidder' crap.

Yeah..... if the Yamaha were made in Japan rather than the lowest bidder factory in Malaysia and the HK were made in the USA rather than the lowest bidder factory in China. Guess quality today is like sound............. in the eyes of the beholder. I'll stick to made in the USA or at least made in Japan. You can keep your 'lowest bidder' crap.

Build location has little, if anything, to do with quality.

With my tax returm this year, I'm planning on purchasing both the A-S2000 and the C-S2000... I just wished that Yamaha USA would offer the T-S1000 tuner, which is offered in Europe and parts of Asia.

Other than the price, I heard only good things about the A-S2000 AND the quality of the build.

Back
Top Bottom