Yamaha HT Receiver

KevinCorr

I have been listening to movies thru my non-"home theater" hifi since the 1980s, but it is not so easy now with all the new TV technology.
My dilemma is if I want to listen to music as well on the HT receiver. I am leaning strongly toward Yamaha because I have a dealer in town and would rather not order online. He suggests that I get a HT in a box including the speakers and keep my regular hifi next to it.

I am considering not having one of my dedicated music hifi systems in the living/dining/kitchen main house area because two separate systems in a 24 foot square room is too much. It would be simple to have only the home theater set up there. I will still have two other dedicated hifi systems in other areas of the house, plus one in my shop.

So to enjoy music from the Yamaha HT receiver when my wife is not watching movies, I am guessing that I need to forget about the box speaker sets that the dealer suggests, and just use good hifi speakers. I don't really care about surround sound. I don't think I would be happy with the HT box speaker set for music.
I have a set of Quad 11L speakers with an NHT sub. I also have a monster HsU sub. I could add a center speaker and call it good. That would probably be a decent compromise for both music and movies?

The next dilemma is how high up on the Yamaha line do I have to go?
The entry level Aventage RX-A710 list $650 may be better than the RX or HTR lines.? The RX 475 starts at $400 in my local store.

Last edited:
Depending on your requirements, get a used one. Used htr or rxv units go pretty cheap where I am. try a thread in the home theatre section to help with model choice.

I will say this... The older ones have better tuners. I's look for the oldest rxv unit that has optical audio and component video switching. But that's just me...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I actually can't figure out what you are talking about?

What exactly about new TV technology means you can not just use what you already have and how would any HTIB help you?
You say you don't care about surround sound so why the problem with what you already have?

I must be missing something.

Ed

AVR's are the least reliable HiFi component. Only disc spinners come close. Buying used is risky since most AVR's wind up broke or outdated before the owner tires of them. The dilemma I have relative to your situation is that Yamaha is easily one of the most reliable AVR's and one of the poorest sounding. They do OK for movies and in general sound like ass for music. The Aventage is supposed to be better and it could very well be. The Upper RXV models sound better than the lower end ones, and the HTR models are usually the ones available in big box stores or as part of a HT in a B setups. The most recent models from Marantz, in Pure Direct mode, sound much better than average for an AVR. They are also better than average for reliability...but I just picked mine up from the repair shop. The highly rated Yamaha I had before it never required repair in the 5 yrs I owned it, but I couldn't bear to listen to music with it.

For speakers I have been using the very inexpensive Wharfedale Diamond 9 series with good results. The Marantz AVR sounds so good that I recently added a Rega Apollo to the setup and a pair of Quad 11L Classics. I never did get a chance to hear how well the Quad's and the Wharfedale 9.00 center blended. Theoretically it should be a good match and both IAG and the dealer I bought both from said that they will blend well...next weekend I will find out. The Wharfedale center only cost me $150 brand new.

If I am not mistaken here, I think KevinCorr is referring to is most new TV's not having analog audio connections, same with lower end Bluray players. I can't comment on the Yamaha questions but almost certainly your Quad speakers and subs will best most HTiB speakers.

I have been listening to movies thru my non-"home theater" hifi since the 1980s, but it is not so easy now with all the new TV technology.
My dilemma is if I want to listen to music as well on the HT receiver. I am leaning strongly toward Yamaha because I have a dealer in town and would rather not order online. He suggests that I get a HT in a box including the speakers and keep my regular hifi next to it.

I have a yammie and would not recommend that reciever for music unless you use the processing and wireless / Sat-lite music stations...streaming from home network computer to listen to music. Two channel with a CDP with serious listening...no way!

I am considering not having one of my dedicated music hifi systems in the living/dining/kitchen main house area because two separate systems in a 24 foot square room is too much. It would be simple to have only the home theater set up there. I will still have two other dedicated hifi systems in other areas of the house, plus one in my shop.

Yammie is a good choice for movies.

So to enjoy music from the Yamaha HT receiver when my wife is not watching movies, I am guessing that I need to forget about the box speaker sets that the dealer suggests, and just use good hifi speakers. I don't really care about surround sound. I don't think I would be happy with the HT box speaker set for music.
I have a set of Quad 11L speakers with an NHT sub. I also have a monster HsU sub. I could add a center speaker and call it good. That would probably be a decent compromise for both music and movies?

I have two home theaters. The one in the family room has Paradigm Monitor 7v3 for speakers...works out really well. I would stay away from HTB's as they are generally not good.

The next dilemma is how high up on the Yamaha line do I have to go?
The entry level Aventage RX-A710 list $650 may be better than the RX or HTR lines.? The RX 475 starts at $400 in my local store.

I have the Yammie RX-710....Entry level...built solid! I love it. It does not have front outputs to use an external amp. I got it instead of the same model with amp outputs, because this one has all the music wireless streaming and computer connection for the home network....excellent!

But its still very good for movies. They have the updated version out now...the RX-72 for $50 more. Looks like the only difference is it has Airplay and extra processing for iPad, but I just glanced...you may want to check. But if you will use this unit for lots of two channel listening, I would look at other AVR's. There is a big Yammie following over at AudioVideoForums http://www.avsforum.com/f/....you may want to speak to others about the Yammie AVR. I can tell you mine is excellent for movies....much better than the Marantz it replaced....but the Marantz I replaced walked all over it in two channel music listening.
Hope this helps.

--slips...

I have an HTR-6080 Yamaha that I use for Home Theater and my music. It isn't the latest model, but has a phono input and HDMI. I'm happy with it.

If I am not mistaken here, I think KevinCorr is referring to is most new TV's not having analog audio connections, same with lower end Bluray players. I can't comment on the Yamaha questions but almost certainly your Quad speakers and subs will best most HTiB speakers.

If that is the case the it is easily remedied with a $25.00 DAC fed by the digital output of his TV.
I would rather keep what I have and use this ethod than resort to a HTIB for no good reason?

I own both a Marantz and Yamaha HTR's and my preference for combined movies/music is definitely the Marantz. However for ease of use my brother loves the Yamaha. He watches TV exclusively and rarely does anything remotely related to music so I've got the Yamaha in the main TV room. If you really want something to do both I'd follow the many suggestions here to look at the used market for something else. Rotel, Denon, Marantz, some Pioneers and a few Yamahas have been reviewed well for their music sides but you have to audition as many as possible.

Sure you're trying to stick with the local dealer but I would seriously suggest you sit down and map out what you really want this system to do. Look at ALL of your options including the used market. Everyone's ears are different as I learned trying to make something my brother deemed "good" in his mind turned out to be nothing close to mine. He loves how the Yamaha, Bose 501 series IV's(front), Pioneer CS99a's(rear) combined with his Visio 55" LCD TV for HD. It's easy for him to work, does what he wants for watching simple stuff on the tube and rarely a movie or 2. Plus everything can be kind of kept unobtrusive except what he wants and that's watching his TV.

If you're thinking of using this as a dual listening/movie space, taking your time now to carefully plan, audition and evaluate as many variables as possible will pay off for you big time down the road. Older speakers can work much better for that sound you want if paired with a worthy HTR but careful matching is crucial. My Infinity RS3b's sing through the Marantz but were pinched, flat and thin through the Yamaha. The Bose 501's are happy but still don't play as well as they could. Remember as well many a Pioneer HTR in the price range you're looking at has gotten good reviews on the music side even though their movie side is not always as good as others.

It really boils down to nailing down with a list, yes it's amazing how much a list can help you nail down what's important, what you are looking to accomplish in your main room. Planning and patience now will reduce or eliminate that buyers remorse later.

If you plan on you, family and friends enjoying many happy hours together in this space, take your time now. :music:

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate you taking the time for such thorough and well thought out answers. When I have time to study it carefully instead of a quick read I can then respond to specific suggestions. This is just an initial glance to thank you all. Every reply made is well put and helpful.

My initial reaction is that maybe my dealers advice is probably correct in not trying to make me happy playing music on his HTR. He has only Yamaha and Sony. While not good for music the speakers in a box would be easier to fit in the room and a lot cheaper.

Realize that I live in a remote town and cannot audition much gear and rely heavily on advice. I realize that that is weak, less effective and less fun and leads to mistakes but that is it for me. Shipping gets expensive too.

Thinking about the interesting comments by AVService:
When I hooked up my TV to the hifi in the mid 1980's there was no DVD, Dish or cable, no streaming or web TV. It was just local TV, Betamax, cd and mainly vinyl lps.
Now I am using a Rega Mira 3 and it just doesn't seem to have capacity for the Dish TV box, DVD player, CDP, FM tuner. Also no new style connections like HDMI.
Actually, I gave up trying to make it work and the wife is watching her movies with an OPPO DVD plugged directly to the TV with no external speakers. I appreciate the DAC suggestion. I would have to find that online since they are not available in this town.

The new generation HTR have a bunch of features that I don't understand and maybe don't need, but the list is long: Video upscaling, video processing, HDMI and USB connections, surround so I could at least add a center channel, network functions, upscaling resolution, HD format decoding etc.

I will examine the ideas and get back. I am rebuilding my house while living in it so that is like a job for a retired guy. I didn't really plan it this way but never had the time before.

I looked for a Marantz and see that Audio Advisor has the NR1402 for only $300 w/free shipping. The Yamaha that I was looking at locally are $400 for the RX475 and $700 for the Aventege RXA-820. I should probably just go for the cheap Marantz and save the rest for a Rega Brio R because ArtK says that it makes my Mira3 seem like a toy. Thanks Art, look what you did again. Making me upgrade again ;)

Great thanks Ed. I will order that for sure asap.

I found another interesting piece of gear to switch back and forth between amps like a store display. The Beresford TC-7220 crossover. That would be handy for a set up where one had plenty of room but while it looks good, I don't have room in my living room for it.

With your help, I have decided to buy a HT receiver for my wifes tv room/den and set up the main living room one with a 2 channel integrated amps as suggested by AVService with the Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter. The int amp that worked the best for tv was my huge HK HK 6950 because it has so many inlets and outlet jacks. That is the set up on my wifes' TV room. Simply move that system to the main and get her a cheap AV Receiver. I know music will be a compromise on that but it won't be one of my main listening areas.
Now I will go back to deciding which receiver to get. Thanks again.
The Rega Mira, now in the living room can go to my "man cave", the vinyl room when I finish remodeling.

I have recently switched from using Denon receivers in all my installs to Onkyo at most price points and I have to say I am astounded by the improvement in Audio quality over the Denon.
It is not a subtle difference and every customer has noticed the dramatic improvement without me saying anything!

They notice because I a replacing many Denons because of non working HDMI switching and the Onkyo seem to switch just fine so far.

I know it may not be practical for you to demo them but just wanted you to know, it is easy to order them.

Ed

I have continued to search the web forums for info and looked at what is for sale.

Reading this and several other websites I find reliability complaints about every brand and claims of good performance but it seems that these may be the better sounding and more reliable brands. That does not mean that they also don’t have problems posted, just less so and more favorable.
The short list is Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and Marantz.
If it were a really good deal I would consider others, maybe NAD, Arcam or....

There are so many models of every brand available. Just amazing how many they introduce. I assume that the difference is more in the AV features than music sound quality within brand.

Back
Top Bottom