Yamaha RX-V2095 for $100

gentlejax

Picked one up local today. guy wanted $150 but then offered it to me for $100 without much hassle. Nice guy. He was original owner and had everything but the box.

Looking around here I see so many older sweet looking receivers it make me feel this one is not worthy. but for $100 I think its ok.

I have owned 3 other Yamahas in the past but always missed my old black HK which is still kicking at my neighbors house. Itried some other HK receivers and didnt like them as much.

I feel it will be better than the Denon AVR3200 I got for $24 at the pawn shop because they had no idea how to work it.sold to me as broke but wasnt.

I also think it is going to be better than the HK3485 which I downsized to after getting rid of my other HT receivers.

but again. this is just a step till I can snag something like one of these nice receivers I have seen on here lately.

all I can say is man they used to make some nice stuff. what happened?

Not Yamaha only...all of them ....no wonder you guys have it hard for old vintage stuff. its very cool.

I think that you're gonna like the 2095. I have been using the slightly older RX-V2090 (2095 without AC-3/DTS) for a couple of years now and find a lot to like about Yamaha receivers of that period. Yamaha was in a groove at that time and made some great machines, including the later RX-Z1. You can expect good, clean sound from the RX-V2095.

For $100, you did really well. :yes:

I had a couple of the entry level units and moved up to a V1600 and then downsized to a straight 2/4 channel. But this was too good to pass on. I figured if it weighed 40lbs it couldnt be too bad of a unit. even if it is "old"

The 2095, like the 2090 before it, was top-of-the-line. Generally, you can't miss when dealing with Yamaha's top gear.

One thing that I have done is to bypass the front amplifier in favour of a more powerful Yamaha M-65 power amp (160 wpc). In other words I just use the preamp and surround amplifier sections of the 2090. It doesn't make make a huge difference but it's nice to try other power amps. You can use the pre-out jacks for this, if you want to try it.

all I can say is man they used to make some nice stuff. what happened?

What are you talking about?

They still make REALLY nice stuff, you just have to stay out of Best Buy and you have to spend money to get there.

They still make REALLY nice stuff, you just have to stay out of Best Buy and you have to spend money to get there.

So true. Virtually none of the really good stuff shows up in the big-box stores. "Real" stereo stores are still your best bet for that kind of thing. :yes:

Looking around here I see so many older sweet looking receivers it makes me feel this one is not worthy. but for $100 I think its ok.
...all I can say is man they used to make some nice stuff. what happened?
Not Yamaha only...all of them ....no wonder you guys have it hard for old vintage stuff. its very cool.

I'd say it's definately worthy. That's a bargain price too. :yes:

Anybody that can live without the advanced video features of the newer models can't go wrong with older RX-V's.

I still use my RX-V1300 as a pre-out to two Yamaha P2200 amps for stereo mains and use the internal amps for the satellites. The main L&R amps still drive speakers even when the pre-outs are in use BTW.

What are you talking about?

I am meaning that the cosmetics of the old stuff is so sweet compared to most of the new stuff unless you spend a couple thousand.

maybe not that much. but I was just drooling over some of the pics in the other section of some of the old vintage receivers.

90% Of the ones I saw looked very nice .

take for instance. Just about anything HK has made in the last 4yrs or so. I have one of the ugly silver receivers. cant stand it.

this 2095 looks much nicer.

not saying they dont make nice gear , just saying there is a lot of cheap and crappy made stuff compared to most of the vintage I have seen

you do have to spend a lot to get a nice one . unless you get one like I did.

compared to original cost I got a good deal I think. It works 100%

I actually had a RX-V1600 I should have never sold. I liked it. but I hated the other 2 entry Yamahas I had before. those were cheap.

I also agree BB has nothing but crap for sale. Circuit CIty wasnt much better most of the time.

I'd say it's definately worthy. That's a bargain price too. :yes:

Anybody that can live without the advanced video features of the newer models can't go wrong with older RX-V's.

I still use my RX-V1300 as a pre-out to two Yamaha P2200 amps for stereo mains and use the internal amps for the satellites. The main L&R amps still drive speakers even when the pre-outs are in use BTW.

I'm not sure what the 2095 cost when it was new but my RX-V2090 and DDP-1 AC-3 decoder combination cost $2300 (CDN) at the time. I paid $100 for the pair and can't believe my good fortune. I think that the seller was just happy to pass the equipment onto somebody who would appreciate it. He had moved on to some really nice nameplates.

Jim, it sounds like we use our receivers the same way. I like using the preamp section of my 2090 with my M-65 and I find that this gives me great stereo performance. The surround amps are fine for movies and DVD-A listening so I feel that I am getting the best of both worlds.

Are you saying that you can still control the volume of the main speakers from the receiver even when the preamp is running outboard amps? Is there any downside to this arrangement or are the pre-out jacks there to facilitate another amp while continuing to function internally?

Are you saying that you can still control the volume of the main speakers from the receiver even when the preamp is running outboard amps? Is there any downside to this arrangement or are the pre-out jacks there to facilitate another amp while continuing to function internally?

Yes.

No downside unless you don't have space for another amp. I even use a trigger to power up the amps with the RX-V

I run bridged PC2002M (700WPC) on the main L/R from my RX-V3800. :D

Had bridged PC4002M (1400WPC), but it was just overkill.

My biggest stalled project to date = 4-way active XO using four Yamaha amps. PC5002M, PC2002M, M2, M4. (maybe) :banana:

Yes.

No downside unless you don't have space for another amp. I even use a trigger to power up the amps with the RX-V

I run bridged PC2002M (700WPC) on the main L/R from my RX-V3800. :D

Had bridged PC4002M (1400WPC), but it was just overkill.

My biggest stalled project to date = 4-way active XO using four Yamaha amps. PC5002M, PC2002M, M2, M4. (maybe) :banana:

700 WPC? That's crazy! I love it!

I'm not sure how I'm going to use this new information, but I will find a way. :scratch2:

Fantastic deal, I'm still plugging along with my Yamaha RX-V992.

Haven't really looked for an upgrade (but I would snatch a newer yamaha for $100 instantly) since I'm still using a 27" CRT but once that is upgraded and we get the music/video server built Yamaha will be getting some of my cash.
The new Yamaha's are definitely on my wish list. The new RXV 3900 have everything I could want and considering my 992 was $1000 bucks in way back in 1992 $1800 for the new Yamaha is a good deal. I'll most likely end up with the 1065 since it has the same power as my 992 and if I wanted to go louder I have bigger amps not being used.

Picking up one of these

I'm picking up one of these that is in protect.
Is this receiver one that can be reset easy ?
Thanks.
Srinath.

Fantastic deal, I'm still plugging along with my Yamaha RX-V992.

Haven't really looked for an upgrade (but I would snatch a newer yamaha for $100 instantly) since I'm still using a 27" CRT but once that is upgraded and we get the music/video server built Yamaha will be getting some of my cash.
The new Yamaha's are definitely on my wish list. The new RXV 3900 have everything I could want and considering my 992 was $1000 bucks in way back in 1992 $1800 for the new Yamaha is a good deal. I'll most likely end up with the 1065 since it has the same power as my 992 and if I wanted to go louder I have bigger amps not being used.

The RX-V992 was a 1997/1998 model.

That makes me want to dig out my RX-V990, and give it another spin! It's been side-lined for a long time. I guess I need to see if it's still worthy? :yes::no:

That said, I don't know if I'd ever need my DDP-1??? Even if I wanted to play a laser disk, I could just use my DSP-A3090; which I still use and still love. I don't plan on ever selling it! :nono:

Speaking of which, did Yamaha produce a 2-channel equivalent integrated amp, of the 3090? How about separates? I love the open, clean sound of the 3090, and the sound-stage is very precise sounding too. So, just curious as to which Yamaha gear could match or surpass it? Vintage, or more modern, either one? :scratch2:

Thanks! :D

I'm not sure what the 2095 cost when it was new but my RX-V2090 and DDP-1 AC-3 decoder combination cost $2300 (CDN) at the time. I paid $100 for the pair and can't believe my good fortune. I think that the seller was just happy to pass the equipment onto somebody who would appreciate it. He had moved on to some really nice nameplates.

Jim, it sounds like we use our receivers the same way. I like using the preamp section of my 2090 with my M-65 and I find that this gives me great stereo performance. The surround amps are fine for movies and DVD-A listening so I feel that I am getting the best of both worlds.

Picked one up local today.

Looks like you got a nice find for a hundred bucks. I just recently brought my 795a out of storage for use as a 2 channel in another room and yours looks to about the same vintage as my mine, which I if I recall correctly I bought in '99. Enjoy it.

DSC00769_zps57df29da.jpg

I'm using my Yamaha RX-V2090 in biamp mode (y-splittters from pre outs going to NAD 2100 for mids and highs and looped back into the pre ins to use the internal amp to the bass) in my PSB Stratus Golds. Love the sound. I also have an NAD 1600 preamp/tuner that I'm sure would be an upgrade but I would be giving giving any surround capability. I'm not too picky with home theater stuff but its nice to have something. Does anyone have enough experience with either one to help me figure out if the sonic improvement would be worth giving up 5.1 capabilities? I'm doing my best to AB compare but it's time consuming with kids running around :rolleyes: In general I've always liked Yamaha gear for good reliable midfi gear. Opinions???

I know what you mean. Some days I like my Yamaha, other days, my NAD set-up.

I have a Yamaha DSP-A3090 and a RX-V990, both bought new. I also use a NAD 116 pre, with a NAD 2155 amp. The Yamaha 3090 is so precise sounding; very open and clear, with pin-point imaging. The NAD 116, maybe not quite as open, a little warmer with very little coloration of it's own. But, when I switch gear out, and hook the 3090 back-up, it just sounds like the sound stage snaps back into focus. Plus, it sounds like the 3090 has a much higher damping factor, as the bass sounds tauter, and more detailed as well. So, usually my 3090 gets the nod! :yes:

I'm using my Yamaha RX-V2090 in biamp mode (y-splittters from pre outs going to NAD 2100 for mids and highs and looped back into the pre ins to use the internal amp to the bass) in my PSB Stratus Golds. Love the sound. I also have an NAD 1600 preamp/tuner that I'm sure would be an upgrade but I would be giving giving any surround capability. I'm not too picky with home theater stuff but its nice to have something. Does anyone have enough experience with either one to help me figure out if the sonic improvement would be worth giving up 5.1 capabilities? I'm doing my best to AB compare but it's time consuming with kids running around :rolleyes: In general I've always liked Yamaha gear for good reliable midfi gear. Opinions???

Last edited:
I got an RVX 2095 a few years back when my big HK AVR-7300 blew itself out for the second time ...
The Yam is great, and it makes a spectacular spare HT unit. Does take a while to get it set up - but its quite nice!

I ran it basically as a preamp - used an external amp for front mains & a multichannel amp for the rest (center, sides, rear).

Loaned it to a friend earlier this year and he's a big fan now - tho its not for sale (grin).

The 2095, like the 2090 before it, was top-of-the-line. Generally, you can't miss when dealing with Yamaha's top gear.

One thing that I have done is to bypass the front amplifier in favour of a more powerful Yamaha M-65 power amp (160 wpc). In other words I just use the preamp and surround amplifier sections of the 2090. It doesn't make make a huge difference but it's nice to try other power amps. You can use the pre-out jacks for this, if you want to try it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom