Yamaha PC2002 with a 4 ohm Load

Cactus Bob

Desert Rat
Subscriber
Does anyone know how these amps a handle 4 ohm speaker? The manual makes no reference to this. How many watts etc would it be pushing?

Thanks, CB

Yes they will handle 4 Ohms safely, and to boot they do pretty respectable regarding the 4 Ohm power availability. Like all the good Yamaha amps, they will drive 2 Ohms to just shy of 800W in test.

The speakers are ESS AMT Rock Monitors. The speakers can go as high as 500 watt musical peaks (fuse protected) according to the original spec sheet.

I think they could handle the safely wouldn't you think?

ok,
who would actually listen to 100+ watt anyway?
i mean, I have a Yamaha CR-2020 that rated somewhat 100+ watt into 8ohms according to the spec and my ears rarely able to handle the volume pot turn around 11 o'clock for more than 30 minutes.
of course given that is is nice to have such a powerful amp and all it bell and whistle come with it, but boy, 400 watt into 4 ohms is just insane. .... your ears must be bleeding to death :)

So....how's it sound?

FWIW, my older P2200's are happy with 4 ohm loads, I'm sure your 2002's will be just dandy.

ok,
who would actually listen to 100+ watt anyway?
i mean, I have a Yamaha CR-2020 that rated somewhat 100+ watt into 8ohms according to the spec and my ears rarely able to handle the volume pot turn around 11 o'clock for more than 30 minutes.
of course given that is is nice to have such a powerful amp and all it bell and whistle come with it, but boy, 400 watt into 4 ohms is just insane. .... your ears must be bleeding to death :)

I run my JBL 250ti's with 2 Yammies bridged like this @700 wpc and it sounds incredible.

So....how's it sound?

FWIW, my older P2200's are happy with 4 ohm loads, I'm sure your 2002's will be just dandy.

I have to disconnect the bridged JBL's & move things around. I'll start woriking on it. :yes:

The speakers are ESS AMT Rock Monitors. The speakers can go as high as 500 watt musical peaks (fuse protected) according to the original spec sheet.

I think they could handle the safely wouldn't you think?

that is peaks and maybe high peaks .. don't turn it up you will blow your monitors ..its unusual for me to see any one cone that will handle more than 150 watts\ rms i have heard about 300 watt ones but i dunno about that ..i rig up my cabs to share the load ..rms is real watts music power or whatever is a number thing to sell stuff if an amp is in rms you need cabs to handle it if you want to turn it up

that is peaks and maybe high peaks .. don't turn it up you will blow your monitors ..its unusual for me to see any one cone that will handle more than 150 watts\ rms i have heard about 300 watt ones but i dunno about that ..i rig up my cabs to share the load ..rms is real watts music power or whatever is a number thing to sell stuff if an amp is in rms you need cabs to handle it if you want to turn it up

eh, RMS is an abbreviation for Root Mean Square

Got them hooked up to the Yamaha now and they sound much better than with my KW Model 600 (150 wpc@4 ohm). More detail, smoother bass. I can't find the exact specs for the speakers. I like what I'm hearing though.

The speakers are fuse protected and the amp has speakers protection & clipping lamps so all should be fine.

You can not have too much power...

if it is clean and noise free. I have a tri-amped sealed bass system with 12" Peerless XLS woofers below 150 Hz, equalised flat in room to 25 Hz. All of my 200-250 wpc into 8 ohms amps will clip on music at high but not insane levels. The room is a 20' X 24'. The crossover is active so the amps see only the bass driver, not a complex impedance. I need 400-600 wpc into 8 ohms for unclipped music peaks. Remember this is just for BASS below 150 Hz. The configuration is bridged 2XPC2002 (bass), P2201 (mid), PC1002 (high). I also use M2 (bass), B2x (mid), PC1002 (high) as an alternative when headroom is not an issue when I engage dynamic limiting in my Behringer digital crossover. BTW amp clipping is clearly audible and different from speaker bottoming/distortion. It sounds like farting to my ears. The Peerless XLS have extreme low distortion, high excursion abilities and genuine 600 wrms rating.

bump - I had the same question about 4 ohm capability for the PC2002 series. Has any one done any particular testing to show true real capability, Yamaha's power vs. impedance graph notwithstanding?

Back
Top Bottom