Display problems in Yamaha receivers

babeba67

Ok Yamaha experts. Thought I'd start here vs the solid state forum since it's Yammy specific but if this is the wrong place let me know. I know I have seen info on this forum before about a specific problem with this era of Yamaha receivers so I'm looking for some help because I can't seem to find it through the normal search methods.

Background...I own several Yamaha components mostly from the early 80's through mid 2000's. I have several amps M-45, M-80, M-85, R8, R9 and plenty of CD players that all work great.

My problem is with the receivers (black face) with the orange displays. I have the following receivers:

RX-596 receiver
RX-590 receiver
RX-v795 receiver
RX-850 receiver
and just purchased from CL a RX-V659.

All of these have the familiar "orange" display and 3/5 of them have problems where the display just goes blank to black. Sometimes a gentle tap will bring it back on, and in the case of the v659 I just got it cuts out but will come back on with the touch of any knob. WTF is the deal with these? What is the fix for it? As you can tell I love the Yammy stuff but this is frustrating.

Thanks,
B

Most of the orange display stuff is backlit by an incandescent lamp, could be a loose wire or perhaps a solder joint going to the display or a flex cable.

These models have no lamps. They all use VFD tube. I would check filament supply circuit. And your AVR can be in "display off" mode, check manual how to change it to normal operation.

Seriously, this is misinformation and incorrect- why post something completely wrong??

They employ a backlit LCD display and an incandescent globe in a diffuser/reflector. Very common failure and very easy repair.

These models have no lamps. They all use VFD tube. I would check filament supply circuit. And your AVR can be in "display off" mode, check manual how to change it to normal operation.

Seriously, this is misinformation and incorrect- why post something completely wrong??

They employ a backlit LCD display and an incandescent globe in a diffuser/reflector. Very common failure and very easy repair.

Are you talking about RX or RX-V? I used to have RX-596, it had VFD tube.

You are indeed correct- my apologies, the majority of their receivers did in fact use backlit LCDs and the bulb failure is a constant issue. The RX-596 does appear to have a VFD.

Back
Top Bottom