Words of Wisdom for Replacing 2020 Bulbs

trackball02

I have a new to me CR 2020 purchased a few months ago, and it is otherwise in excellent condition and was completely re-capped and serviced. It sounds fantastic, but the dial indicator light went out a few weeks ago. The meter lights are a little dim.

I ordered a new set of bulbs that are pre wired from dgwojo.

I have never opened the unit, but have decent soldering skills and have a variable temp digital soldering iron, tools, flux, etc.

Are there any tips, precautions and other comments that may help me get this job done from all of you experts out there?

Thanks!

Hello trackball02 !

Yes ! do not make any solder inside a unit not discharged !

Changing bulbs is easy and if you are meticulous no reason to get troubles when you will switch the power on ! :thmbsp:

Carefully remove the Wood case so that you do not end up breaking the tuner cord.....Sometimes it gets cought on the little metal hook on the case......

This problem has happened to more than one AKer...........

Thanks for all of the pointers.

How do you discharge a unit? A ground wire to the chassis?

When sliding off the wood case, should the unit be upside down, on its side or the bottom side down? Is is required to take it completely out of the case or just partially?

My case is in perfect condition, and I would hate to scratch it.

Where is that metal hook so that I can watch out for it? Is it in the center or on the side?

Sorry for all of these dumb questions!

Carefully remove the Wood case so that you do not end up breaking the tuner cord.....Sometimes it gets cought on the little metal hook on the case......

This problem has happened to more than one AKer...........

Keep the soldering tip and heatgun well away from the dialcord as well.:thmbsp:

i use a piece of paper or a rag placed under the wires i am soldering to be sure i don't drip solder into any boards or components…could be very costly.

Back
Top Bottom