Yamaha ca1010 a few issues

Sidman

Hi all
I just picked up a ca1010. I am about to give it a deoxit.

First in only the phono stage there is a hum. The hum gets louder as you turn it up. All other inputs seem fine.

Seems one channel almost drops out completely. It happens on both set of speakers a and b side.

The lights are burnt out and I would like to replace with some led lights can someone make a recommendation.

I have noticed that the yamaha is fussier about speaker choice. My mains sound great but small bookshelf a little weak. (Albeit they are cheap). Can any one make a bookshelf recommendation? I was thinking psb. Not too expensive

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
the phono stage there is a hum.
Do you have a TT properly plugged in to the phono jack ? The phono jack will pick up noise if not terminated.

Do you have a TT properly plugged in to the phono jack ? The phono jack will pick up noise if not terminated.

Sorry for my ignorance what is a TT? I changed the .5 amp and that fixed the lights. Deoxit did not help. Still getting hum. It actually is present in other inputs but not nearly as loud.

Sorry for my ignorance what is a TT? I changed the .5 amp and that fixed the lights. Deoxit did not help. Still getting hum. It actually is present in other inputs but not nearly as loud.

Turntable

Right (duh)
Yes used both inputs and tried various phone selections. It is almost like. Grounding issue?

If the hum is in both channels. I'd start by recapping the power supply.

If the hum is in both channels. I'd start by recapping the power supply.

My CR-2020 is of the same vintage and 80% of the caps, including the big filter caps, in the PS were at about 50% of rated capacitance. WAY outside of the normal +/- 20% tolerance! Besides just being plain old, mine had not had the service bulletin mods performed and had suffered heat damage to the boards and caps. I'm on the home stretch of a full recap and SB mod. She'll be singing again soon, oh yes! :banana:

My CR-2020 is of the same vintage and 80% of the caps, including the big filter caps, in the PS were at about 50% of rated capacitance. WAY outside of the normal +/- 20% tolerance! Besides just being plain old, mine had not had the service bulletin mods performed and had suffered heat damage to the boards and caps. I'm on the home stretch of a full recap and SB mod. She'll be singing again soon, oh yes! :banana:

Were talking CA-1010 not CR-2020. No SB's that I am aware of.

Back
Top Bottom