Yamaha a1000 1985

sh429

Hey all,

I have been here learning allot over the last few years and was wondering about some more ideas and input on a up and coming project... my Yamaha Integrated Amplifier A-1000 from 1985. It an amazing amp and all iv done so far was blow the dust out of it and soon I'm going to be doing a deoxit cleaning of the pots and contacts and switches and what not. Now I was wondering if anyone has worked on this model and had a any tips? or easy upgrades to make any good gains? Also any ideas on a binding post upgrade? I think i have a plan (small isolated binding posts from PE, want to use banana plugs with it to). any ideas or help would be awesome!

Thanks
sh429

Hey all,

I have been here learning allot over the last few years and was wondering about some more ideas and input on a up and coming project... my Yamaha Integrated Amplifier A-1000 from 1985. It an amazing amp and all iv done so far was blow the dust out of it and soon I'm going to be doing a deoxit cleaning of the pots and contacts and switches and what not. Now I was wondering if anyone has worked on this model and had a any tips? or easy upgrades to make any good gains? Also any ideas on a binding post upgrade? I think i have a plan (small isolated binding posts from PE, want to use banana plugs with it to). any ideas or help would be awesome!

Thanks
sh429

I have the same unit and am very impressed with it. Crystal Clear phono section.

I had it through the shop last year, it needed some love a few months after I picked it up for $50....in very nice shape. The shop did the work required to bring it up to spec.

At some point, I will be going through my unit and replacing all of the electrolytic caps, all of the relays, cleaning all of the switches, not sure if I will do anything with the speaker terminals. I like the unit so much, I can't think of any aspect I would improve.

Per the manual, make any adjustments and measurements to verify specs.

I hope to be a little smarter by then, in which case I would test all of the board level components to their specs and replace as needed. A few hours, but it's hard to think of the TV program I can watch for more than a few minutes.

Someone already did a nice job of repainting the top cover of the unit, although not factory original more of a crinkle type flat black..If I were going all out I would call around to see who has a bead blaster that wouldn't rip the vents to shreds. Otherwise carefully wet sand with 400, prime and re-sand until smooth then spray on two thin coats wet.

Hope this helps.........

Well I did the deoxit cleaning and it is pretty much perfect now, the only thing now would be the speaker terminals and much like the previous post I to have to say I don't see to much potential for swapping the posts. I would have paid 50 for it knowing what i know now. I got mine for 60 with the matching tuner and CD player. then its all connected with AR interconnects (4 bucks from ollies) for a total of like 75 bucks unit and all. Overall I am very very happy with my unit.

Thanks,
Sean

I have 1983 A-1000 (black model)that I purchased last year on that auction site ($115.00) that had been re-capped and serviced, it sure has a warm tube like sound to it. :thmbsp:. Now after a year of daily use the MC side of the phono section is acting up and I need to send out for repair. Lucky for me the MM side still works so I use my vintage Pickering cart until I can save the $$ to it repaired. I am going to send it to AKer " Avionic " for repairs this time and have him go thru it all and check everything out.

that's not fun having to wait to get the phono stage put back together... the phono stage is partly why its such an amazing piece honestly. good luck with yours! did you get the equivalant tuner or cd player for it in your auction?

Sean

that's not fun having to wait to get the phono stage put back together... the phono stage is partly why its such an amazing piece honestly. good luck with yours! did you get the equivalant tuner or cd player for it in your auction?

Sean

I only purchased the A-1000. I have a 2010 model Yamaha CDC-697 5 disc changer hooked up to it for recording FLAC CD to my Revox R2R. I was looking for a C-70 pre amp for the MM/MC phono and a M40 amp(same specs as the A-1000)
Louis

The M40 looks like a very nice amp i must agree, if I could get a M-series amp with pre I would to. I like the looks of the m45 (i think its the m45) basically the m40 with meters witch I think are nice. The CD player that one could say matched the a-1000 is the cd-2 from 85 and I must say they sound very nice together, with Polk sda-2a's from the same year. The matching tuner is nice also, i got them as a set. What speakers do you run with your A-1000? it also sounds nice with KG-1.2 book shelves.

I play my Cornwalls with my A-1000 to record from TT to R2R. I have a Niles Audio SPK-1, audio triggered speaker selector so I can use them as fronts for my 5.2 HT system. My Yamaha RX-V1900 HD AVR 130X7 runs my HT 5.2 (Cornwalls fronts). After I have my A-1000 MC section repaired I am going go with separates(C-70/80... M40/80) and use the A-1000 in the bedroom on my Heresy II. If I can afford it(retired) I want a M-series amp with 30watts Class A for my Cornwalls. When I purchased my Yamaha HD AVR I purchased the matching CD changer and moved it from the AVR system to the A-1000 and all my analog gear. I use a PS3 120 slim(Grand Son video games) for my Bluray/CD player and was surprised how nice a FLAC CD sounds going thru it and my AVR.Bottom line Cornwalls will play great with about any decent receiver or amp(AB) that is rated for 100 WPC. But Class A SS or tubes is best on efficient speakers like what I own. http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html

I like how you have the speaker switch to swap amps... I to have my a-1000 and speakers (polk sda 2a's circa 1985) and then my 5.1 all tangled into each other, not as fancy i know ahaha... with mission 733's on spikes and updated binding posts. If I didn't already own the missions and the polks id be doing (or trying) the same thing. That's cool to know someone else has a truly similar set up!

I put my early-mid 80s A-1020 (black) into retirement in 2002. It performed flawlessly during that time and I recently have taken it out to re-use. I've got a few other projects on the go at the moment, but I intend to give it a good look over and see if it needs any work or adjustments. It was.. is a very nice amp and that's why I kept it.

I can't find a detailed service manual for it, but I haven't looked too hard at the moment, but will go looking more intently when my plate is a little less full and I can devote some time to it.

Start your own thread. I'll see if I can help you out.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
I like how you have the speaker switch to swap amps... I to have my a-1000 and speakers (polk sda 2a's circa 1985) and then my 5.1 all tangled into each other, not as fancy i know ahaha... with mission 733's on spikes and updated binding posts. If I didn't already own the missions and the polks id be doing (or trying) the same thing. That's cool to know someone else has a truly similar set up!

Thanks I took a chance on Ebay and purchased a mint looking used one for about $30.00 shipped as they retail for about $135.00 IIRC. I was worried about degrading the audio signal etc. I assure you it is Quiet I have owned my Klipsch Cornwalls from day one and after 35 years of use I can't hear any difference from either the A-1000 or my Yamaha HD AVR when I had them wired direct. I use banana plugs so it was easy to manually unplug and swap out the front speakers for analog use.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-...158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3c0eefde looks like this one does not have the ac/dc wall adaptor but they are not expensive, but be sure to match up the DC volt and ohm to it.Or bid on a different one as there are several for sale. I have the A-1000 on switched side so if I have the AVR on and want to play a LP I just turn on the A-1000 and I have wall adaptor plugged into the A-1000 so when it is on so is the DC adaptor. I usually turn off the AVR first but it has not made any difference I can hear but I still only have one amp on at a time.

River25,

Whats wrong with you 1020? Is that the next model up from the 1000? I'm assuming so? Whats the specs?

LAB3,

I like the box I may have a application for that else where with a soon to be 5.0 set up... This has me thinking... Even for testing Amps and receivers it would be a nice addition. So many options Ahaha

sh429

Bumping an old thread, but I just brought a cosmetically challenged silver A-1000 home from the local Goodwill. It's missing the cover on the power button and the covers on a couple of the input selectors buttons. It's also missing two of the feet on the bottom and needs a good cleaning. But...

This is one CLEAN sounding amp. I'm currently listening to some of my favorite SACDs playing on a Sony NS3100ES through my modified Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I'm listening in the Auto Class A mode with the tone controls bypassed with the Direct feature enable. The clarity is outstanding.

And, while this particular amp is not going to win an beauty contests, functionally and sonically, it's perfect (so far). Not a hint of background noise and no scratchiness in any of the controls. It has an Inner Sound Stereo Repair sticker on the back. So, I suspect it's been serviced at some point. I'll give them a call with the serial number and see if they have any records of past service they can share.

Next up: hooking up a bigger pair of speakers and cranking the volume a bit. Probably the Klipsch KG4s, and then spinning some vinyl on the turntable to see if the phone section lives up to it's stellar reputation.

I really wish this would have been the more common black model, as almost all of my other components from the late 1970s and 80s are black finish. The only thing I really have that matches this guy is a Pioneer CT-F1250 cassette deck (which I rarely use). I suspect their may be a silver faced tuner and SACD player in my future...

I have two of the black A-1000 from 1983 or so with the T-1000 FM tuner and Natural Sound Eq. Love the amps but both of them need to have the MM/MC phono sections re-capped or repaired. I read that on the newer Yamaha Integrated with Class A AB it is suggested not to switch from AB to A without turning off the power first. Not sure about the truth of this, posting what I have read about them. On Class A the amp runs a LOT hotter and if you don't have really efficient speakers don't bother with class A you won't hear any difference. Run it on Class AB and not so much heat. Enjoy and hope you find the feet etc.

Last edited:
Great amp in every way possible.

I would look at scavenging from same period lesser Yamaha products for the missing knobs and feet etc or other products like a $1 VCR at goodwill. Look at the yamaha cassette decks same period, may be a good place to mine parts from a not working.

I have a Scott SS receiver that sells for $20 that is covered with nice solid steel knobs and other parts that could easily be grafted to another product.

The guys that sell kits and parts for KIY tube amps also have a nice easy to access assortment of knobs etc for not much money.

As to heat, cooling fans plugged into the switched outlet and placed on top of the units work well, USB fans with the db noise ratings are available for not much on amazon. Heat kills

MCMFAN Bubo gave you great advice.... I have quiet PC fans on or behind my amps, AVR etc. If you have a PC close use USB PC fans makes a huge difference. The fans I plugged into the back of A-1000 for 110V was great, fans ON when amp ON :thmbsp: but on Tape function and recording from vinyl I picked up a motor noise from the 110V fans drawing power from the Yamaha. On all other inputs I never heard the fan.... just saying if your into R2R recording un plug a fan drawing power from the Yamaha....YMMV on just just passing on info I learned the hard way over the years. These great sounding amps have flown under the radar so to speak. Great sound and awsome MM/MC section, IMHO needs to be re-capped every 25 years or so if you are into TT. Enjoy the :music:

Pick up an old 5v and 12v wall wart and a PC fan controller. You can use that to power some nice quiet PC fans. Some controllers also have temp monitor pickups also. See posts #3 & 9 in the below thread...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=608556

Cheers,
James

:thmbsp: Good idea james as this too works great but.......... if he records from LP to R2R make sure the wall wart is on a different breaker then the amp. YMMV on this too, as a ceiling fan did this too. I have chased some ground loop hum and and fan noise while recording... :tears:
Louis

Back
Top Bottom