B2 parts availability

belgianbrain

Hello,

I'm soon going to check out a B2 that I'm considering trading for my M2.

The B2 has been worked over with new caps and such, but I'm curious if replacement output relays and main PS reservoir caps are readily available and where can they be obtained?

The M-2 is a wonderful amp, I have one of stoutblock's old ones that was recapped and nicely upgraded. It sings quite nicely, and is effectively a P2002 in an Armani suit.

That said, I would not hesitate to trade an M-2 for a B-2. The only things that can't be easily sourced for a B-2 are the V-FETs. The thread that stoutblock pointed out effectively summarizes all the replacements from just about every B-2 refurb thread in Audiokarma.

They need more than a recap, the metal transistors on the driver board are known to be a source of trouble and can take out the vfets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and that may have very well been done to this unit. I will ask the owner.

That thread looks to have everything I need in it. Thanks.

Has anyone replaced the 16,000 uF caps with 22,000 uF caps and had any difficulty fitting them in?

Hello

22000µF will not fit the original capacitor pcb :nono:

you have to increase the rectangular hole to use the new cap !

Attachments

• DSC00152-R.jpg
    DSC00152-R.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02234-R.jpg
    DSC02234-R.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02233-R.jpg
    DSC02233-R.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 21
Hello

22000µF will not fit the original capacitor pcb :nono:

you have to increase the rectangular hole to use the new cap !

I made the posts a little smaller instead and it worked fine. The new caps do physically fit fine but you need to reroute the power leads to make room. (per thread).

IMG_6174B-2capsnet.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to use a very small flat file to lengthen the slots a bit if/when I do mine. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have such files on hand, so that will be easy.

The trade went through and I now have the B2, so this is on my to-do list. :D

BTW, there is an interesting ground terminal on the B2 that I have not seen with other power amps. The owner's manual says to connect it to ground. I'm using a passive preamp and have no easily available ground connection on other devices. What do you all do with this?

Last edited:
Well, I'll be danged. Looking at the manual, I guess my M2 had the ground connection too. I just never took notice of it. Never had hum with the M2 either...

you probably won't need the ground connection. If it bothers you (or it hums) you can try connecting it to your house ground.

Back
Top Bottom