Inquery

xanadu1797

When, oh when, shall I use the 'loudness contour'?

The seller said all the tubes were original Mullard for Fisher. How do I tell?

Thank you gentlemen.

My spelling of "inquiry" is unorthodox and I am sourcing the Quaker tradition of asking open-ended questions.
Actually, I just misspelled it....

Last edited:
When, oh when, shall I use the 'loudness contour'?

The seller said all the tubes were original Mullard for Fisher. How do I tell?

Thank you gentlemen.

My spelling of "inquiry" is unorthodox and I am sourcing the Quaker tradition of asking open-ended questions.
Actually, I just misspelled it....

When it makes the music sound better to your ears.

Fisher tubes (tubes made for Fisher by tube makers) all have "Fisher" written on them; even the little RCA "Nuvistors" and Telefunkens.

Country of origin, which is also written on them, and is a great clue as to who made what. Tons of information on-line on how to read manufacturer's alpha-numeric codes if you want to go that far.

None of this is any good if someone got busy and wiped off all the markings!

Good luck.

Phyllis

The Loudness contour is meant for low volume situations. It boosts the highs and the lows- to compensate for the way our ears hear at different amplitudes. See Fletcher-Munson curves on Wikipedia or the like for better and more thorough...

Mullards have a seam on top of glass. If Telefunken are installed, that is a good tube too. My factory stock untouched Fisher 400 had Mullard 12AX7s installed in a the multiplexer with Telefunken 12AX7s in other positions.

Back
Top Bottom