New Fisher 800B

jgannon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'd just like to announce that I just brought home a very well-preserved Fisher 800B!

025.jpg

Back in May, the power switch on my Marantz 2270 broke and I researched where I might find someone to repair it locally. Over the phone I found Analogique in Manhattan on 20th St. and after asking some questions, I just figured I'd ask them if they had any old Fisher receivers there, such as an 800B, which I had fallen in love with. The receptionist replied: "Uh...yes, we do have an 800B, and a 500B." Well, I asked her again, was she sure those were the models and she verified that they were. So, I went down there a couple of days later with my Marantz and put a deposit on the 800B.

The technician who runs Analogique is a nice guy name Ernesto, who took the time to answer all my questions regarding the Fisher. Most of the tubes are original with a couple of replacements. I honestly didn't examine each tube carefully, but will do so soon. The unit was really in very good shape. When I picked it up, he said he replaced a couple of capacitors underneath that were dry, but he didn't do the complete overhaul with caps and resistors, in that he said, the unit was basically running ok. He said that the 7591s would probably have to be replaced in a few years of "normal" use of the receiver. I mentioned that I had read here that replacing all the coupling capacitors and resistors was supposed to bring things to another level, and he agreed. But he said that the unit was running relatively well without doing that right now, and I believe he was trying to keep the cost of things down for me. We both agreed that replacing those things could be something that we could do another day.

At any rate, when I brought the 800B home and played it, the sound was certainly fuller and more warm than the sound I had been getting out of my Marantz. There was more texture and detail on records and CDs. The tuner sections, both FM and AM really boom. INTERESTINGLY, I did NOT have the issue that many have had regarding the volume with the phono section. The volume responds just fine when I am playing vinyl, and listening is VERY comfortable at 9 - 10 o'clock! CDs, no problem. I wonder, if I got the caps and resistors replaced how it would sound.

Also, I don't think the Original Large Advents really bring out as much in the Fisher as is possible. If anybody has some good recommendations let me know. More pics coming...

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
More Pics...

69b53842-e139-4144-b495-d1517b5cd7a7.jpg

039.jpg

035.jpg

The 800B with my AR ES-1 modded by Dave at Vinyl Nirvana...
032.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding Photos...Thanks to Steve!!

I also want to thank my man Steve (Ilikevinyl) for teaching me how to post the photos and setup my Photobucket account!! Thanks buddy!

Gannon

Very nice.
Congrats and welcome.
There's no reason to think you need vintage speakers. Modern speakers, at least those that don't crave hundreds of watts of power, will be fine.
Dig around a bit and you'll find other threads in this forums requesting speaker matchups.

@Audiodon - Thanks and will do...I know that I would be hearing more from the Fisher with a more revealing speaker. I actually tried a pair of two-way Infinity RSEs (one is visible, that is not hooked up next to the Advent in one of the photos), but while the top of the RSEs was more extended, I felt the Advents had a more authentic sound

@Sony6060 - Yeah, they have a few things lying around there, including that 500B, which if anyone is interested, was still there last week

@Jblmar - I actually went ahead and got the Marantz fixed at Analogique. He brought the whole thing up to spec and it sounds nice.

@Steve Hoffman - I was thinking that it might need a little more breathing room...although the back of the black console was removed. But it is running a little hot. We were thinking of putting the TV on the wall and putting the Fisher next to the turntable, but I wonder if the TT would pick up any vibrations from the Fisher...I guess it could also be picking up some from the TV

Thanks everybody

Had an 800B many years ago- given me by my grandfather. It's one sweet sounding unit. All you need now is a nice pair of vintage Altecs or Klipsches. :music:

Congrats & enjoy.

I just replaced (temporarily) my 2270 for a Fisher 400 that I recently re-capped. I didn't go the entire bias re-engineer route, but added cathode resistors, tweaked the de-emphasis resistors according to accepted wisdom here on the forum, and am also playing it through my original Large Advents.

My observations are nearly exactly the same as yours, Gannon: very full, rich sound as compared to the 2270 at the same volume. I have an Aperion sub attached to the center channel, and it's just barely above the minimum volume for the right bass support. On my 2270, it need to be up at least a quarter, and higher up on the crossover scale.

The detail and presence is amazing, and the FM stereo on MN Public Radio (the Current and the Classical station) is very satisfying...they don't compress too much.

We'll see if it becomes my permanent living room system....

I also want to thank my man Steve (Ilikevinyl) for teaching me how to post the photos and setup my Photobucket account!! Thanks buddy!

Gannon

Your most welcome, Gannon!:thmbsp: You are an excellent student!:yes:

Nice photos! Those vintage Fishers are so nice.:smoke:

I just replaced (temporarily) my 2270 for a Fisher 400 that I recently re-capped. I didn't go the entire bias re-engineer route, but added cathode resistors, tweaked the de-emphasis resistors according to accepted wisdom here on the forum, and am also playing it through my original Large Advents.

My observations are nearly exactly the same as yours, Gannon: very full, rich sound as compared to the 2270 at the same volume. I have an Aperion sub attached to the center channel, and it's just barely above the minimum volume for the right bass support. On my 2270, it need to be up at least a quarter, and higher up on the crossover scale.

Wow, a lot of similarities Michael...That's interesting about playing a subwoofer through the center channel.

Had an 800B many years ago- given me by my grandfather. It's one sweet sounding unit. All you need now is a nice pair of vintage Altecs or Klipsches. :music:

Congrats & enjoy.

I've read about some of the owners of Fisher amps/receivers here saying they liked various Klipsches with them. I wish I had a nice local vintage shop where I could sample things. But I will take your suggestions under advisement!

Nice find, I love mine.
I swear, I must be the only one who owns an 800B with the output tubes in front of the transformers, what's up with that?

Glenn

Nice find, I love mine.
I swear, I must be the only one who owns an 800B with the output tubes in front of the transformers, what's up with that?

Glenn

Right Glenn, I remember reading through a whole bunch of threads here on the Fisher forum and reading about that. BTW, how did things work out for you with your phono section? I remember reading that you had that problem with the volume with the phono section of your 800B, and you weren't sure if it were having a cartridge issue or if you needed to use a preamp.

We were thinking of putting the TV on the wall and putting the Fisher next to the turntable, but I wonder if the TT would pick up any vibrations from the Fisher...I guess it could also be picking up some from the TV

Your Fisher 800C and your TV shouldn't be vibrating. But it is possible that your TV could generate enough RFI to induce noise into your 800B's phono section. Keeping the TV turned off when listening to vinyl may minimize that.

Last edited:
Your Fisher 800C and your TV shouldn't be vibrating. But it is possible that your TV could generate enough RFI to induce noise into your 800C's phono section. Keeping the TV turned off when listening to vinyl may minimize that.

I was worried that the TT might pick up some current or something, either from the TV or the receiver. I take it with the TV off there shouldn't be an issue. But with the receiver on, would the TT pick up anything?

The turntable shouldn't pick up anything from the receiver or from the TV. But your Fisher 800B's phono section could pick up interference from the TV or from other nearby electronics. You'll have to try it, and if it happens you can move devices and cables until you find the optimum placement.

Back
Top Bottom