Remote Volume Control Option

dcgillespie

Fisher SA-100 Clone
Subscriber
Alright all you Fisher obsessed folks. Once again, I am looking for obscure information, which is usually the story of my life.

This time, it concerns the little used Remote Volume Control device that was available as an option on at least the X-202 and the X-1000. I don't need one, but am wondering about its specifics. I am reasonably certain that it is just a dual concentric control, which would allow for both volume and balance adjustment as advertised for the device, but I'm wondering if anybody knows what the value of the controls used are, and how they are connected. The latter question is because it could potentially be connected in traditional volume control fashion as a true voltage divider, or as a simple series resistance in each channel -- but that answer primarily depends on the value of the controls used, so in effect, I have the cat chasing its own tail until I can find out at least some of the details on this unit. If I know one piece, I can likely figure out the other.

With this question then, I think we're going to find out just how good ya'll (that's a little southern jargon there for ya) in fact really are!

Anyone?

Dave

The RK-1. I have one plugged into the X-202 on my console. Basically, each volume control knob works separately. It sort of mixes the balance and volume capabilities as each channel can be increased or decreased or balanced. Remove the round dummy plug on the back panel and plug in the remote.

They pop up on ebay from time to time, which is where I got mine.

Attachments

• Fisher RK1.pdf
    302 KB · Views: 31
Walyfd -- Thanks so much for providing the literature for the Remote Control device. It answered one of the significant questions I had, by explaining the way the unit operates. Specifically, the remote control potentiometers must be wired to operate in a traditional voltage divider manner, because it states that the remote control device can reduce the output of each channel to zero. Based on the way the applicable units are wired that can work with this device, and that the remote control device can reduce the sound level of these units to zero, then the potentiometers in the remote device must be wired in a traditional manner.

The only question left then is to find out what the resistance value of the pots are that are used in the remote control unit. Based on the design of the units that will work with this device, it must be rather low, but knowing specifically would be helpful. This can easily be determined by unplugging the device from the unit it's connected to, and then measuring the resistance across pins# 2&3, and pins# 7&8 of the plug on the end of the connecting cable.

If anyone who has one of these remote control units could measure the value of the pots in it and report back, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Any unit that has the "dummy plug" can use the remote. As for measuring the specs, I can try it.

Back
Top Bottom