Fisher Allegro

reelwierd

So today I picked up my first tube stereo. Its a Fisher Allegro system which comprises of a model X-19 amp and a MPX-78 FM tuner... Pics soon

The FISHERCONSOLES website has the manuals you'll need.
The Amp is a X-19 and the Tuner is a FM-19. The multiplex board is probably a MPX-65. Never heard of a MPX-78.

Can you take some pictures of the Amp, Tuner, and MPX boards showing the ID stamping. (Something TheRED1 might be interested in for the Multiplexer thread in the FISHER FORUM!)

I most certainly can. I appologize for no doing so sooner. I shall also visit the fisher forum lol.

Pics:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Better pics to follow.

Last edited:
Very nice and clean unit. Do a recap in the amp (if it hasn't been already done). And scrounge around and be prepared to put down >$100. for a pair of ELL80's. Get a spare set and keep them handy if you plan on using it regularly.

Thanks for the pics. No need to apologize. New one on me (MPX version). As it concerns a Specific FISHER Model, PM one of the moderators and ask them to move it to the FISHER FORUM. You'll get more specific attention and detail there.

I had one of those a few years back. I sold it as I didn't really care for the stock speakers in the cabinet and really didn't want to gut it as I figured it was relatively rare. The ELL80's actually go on that auction site pretty reasonable on occasion. The last pair of Lorenz I had went for about 40 bucks IIRC.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd be real tempted to just connect up a real set of speakers and run it. Its a mighty cute machine, but I can imagine the internal speakers aren't amazing. Which model Garrard is that? If its an AT60 or the like with an actual movable counterweight, its not a bad machine. Not amazing, but certainly not complete garbage. They run well with the proper service.

I'd have a real hard time going SE to replace ELL80's. They actually sound quite good, and Fisher usually used decent iron with their stuff. Ditching the ceramic cartridge for an MM and hiding a phono preamp inside would be worth doing though.

I'd have a real hard time going SE to replace ELL80's. They actually sound quite good, and Fisher usually used decent iron with their stuff. Ditching the ceramic cartridge for an MM and hiding a phono preamp inside would be worth doing though.

I dunno. The 6HU8's good for what, 8-8.5 watts in AB/PP mode? I can get 5-6 watts out of a SE EL84 amp, and maybe more if I used 7189As....:scratch2:

yeah, something like that. Maybe in fixed bias mode like Fisher ran them you might get 9-10. Still though, its an impressive small power sound, just based on what I get out of my Philharmonic chassis.

and yes, they can run in push-pull. Or they can be run single-ended to provide stereo with a single tube if you wire them up that way. Thats a fine way to really confuse people, using a single output tube and still claiming it to be stereo. For that matter it messes people up saying its a push-pull amp with one tube per channel.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/124/e/ELL80.pdf

Interesting tube. Can it actually amplify two different signals as the datasheet seems to suggest, and therefore be run as push pull, or is it parallel single end?

Yes. Functionally it's pretty much the same as 2 EL-95's. I've got a picture of a mod that uses 2 EL-95's which are wired from their sockets to a single 9 pin which inserts into the ELL-80 socket.

one question I do have is which rca hookups are the aux?... I'm a little hesitant to play around because this is my first real tube stereo.
Thanks

Owners manual for the Allegro 190 is here....http://www.fisherconsoles.com/owners manuals/Fisher A 190 OM.pdf it's basically the same in operation for the 64 thru 66 models.

Aux and rcrdr out should be on the back side face of the amp. PHONO and FM are on the top of the amp in the right rear corner. Looking left to right (from the back of the unit) they are FM(Right), PHONO(right), FM(Left), PHONO(Left).

Service manual here. It's the same for the 64 and 65 models.
http://www.fisherconsoles.com/owners manuals/Fisher A 190 OM.pdf

These things really are cool and, for what they are, sound pretty good. I had one and wish I could have kept it but really had no place to put/use it. Good luck with this project reelwierd.

Looks like we've hit a streak of these... I just picked up mine a few weeks ago. (Beautiful 1966 model, with the Garrard Model 50-- and by the way, if someone's got some handy tips on how to remove the platter, and clean and lube that turntable, I'd appreciate hearing them!)

I also got lucky and found a set of the petite WS-1 surround speakers to use with it-- I'm expecting to have them delivered any day now.

To be honest, once the PS caps are brought up to date, I think the unit actually has decent bass, considering the relative size of the speakers. That said, I **do** have to admit to being curious if it would be possible to connect a powered sub between the amp and the main set of speakers...

Oh-- and if you're having the PS of the amp re-capped (which I'd recommend), be sure to have your tech De-Oxit all of the pots, and have them install a fuse. For whatever reason, the stock unit does NOT have one (and I can't figure out just what the designer was thinking when **that** decision was made...) Also, take care in removing the amp from the console, as the shelf that the amp sits on has a panel stapled in place under the unit that I was too chicken to examine too closely. but if I had to guess, might very well be asbestos.

Finally, if your experience with this model is like mine, you won't want to leave **anything** on the top of the unit above the location of the amp. Above the turntable is fine, but if you cover the area above the amp, the wooden console casing retains excess heat like crazy. Uncovered, that surface will probably just be warm to the touch. Covered, none of that heat dissipates, and the top gets noticeably hot to the touch. I wouldn't want to leave any records that I cared about perched up there...

Most of all, enjoy this little beauty. I was lucky enough to snap mine up just ahead of two other guys who were severely disappointed to find out that it had already been sold-- fortunately, the owner saw how much I wanted it, and turned down their offers. I think the Allegro mini-console is truly a little-known gem, and if I have my way, mine will be singing in my office for a long, long time.

- Kevin

Thanks. I'm thinking some nice cabinets out of walnut might make these pop. I will keep an eye out for some nice small size speakers too.

Back
Top Bottom