Harman Kardon HK 990

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I took the plunge and bought an HK 990. I have had it for a few days and I can honestly say I love this amp! It is the most versatile piece of stereo gear I have ever had with a bevvy of bells and whistles. Shift on the fly analog to digital processing from the comfort of the Lazy Boy. Plenty of inputs including balanced analog, optical and coax digital with dual sub-woofer outs and two sets of speaker outputs. The phono stage is very good, better than my dated British phono pre-amp. It does run a bit warm but there are massive heat sinks to take care of that. Due to the digital and phono inputs, I was able to eliminate 3 sets of patch cords from my old set-up. It does have plenty of power to drive the A/D/S 1530's but I want more. Consequently, I just ordered the new SVS SB-2000 subwoofer to help out the low end. I should have it in about a week. Bottom line, I'm broke but smiling!:thmbsp::D

Attachments

• Harman HK990, 1.jpg
    Harman HK990, 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Harman HK990, 2.jpg
    Harman HK990, 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Congrats Jenkster, it is a bit of a beast isn't it? I do like what it has on offer, if I was in the market for something like this, the HK and also Nad's C390DD would be ones I would consider. Enjoy!

Thanks guys, I am slowly getting into 21st Century sound. The speakers are a hold out from the last Century but I haven't heard better anywhere near the range of what I paid for them. :no: When I get them dialed in with the sub, I'm guessing the crossover point will be around 40hz or so. I am hoping placement of the sub will not be an issue as I have limited options. I have never been a big sub fan, for music anyway, though most I have tried are not to the level of the SVS. I just got notice that is has been shipped so I will likely have it by the end of the week.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Kuddos to Harman

I got a great deal in it from Harman as well. I ordered a refurbished one from the Haman website. After a couple of days, I didn't get a shipping confirmation after they had taken the money from my account. I phoned their customer service and, after being on hold for quite a while, was told I would be routed to "Level 3." These are the guys in Southern California, not Area 51.:D Anyway, I was told the refurbished units were out of stock and it may be months until they get more. The rep. I spoke with offered to refund my purchase or, if I was interested, he would check to see if I could get an A stock unit for the same price.:scratch2: Naturally I opted for a new unit if possible. The guy called me back in a couple of hours saying he was authorized to send me a new amp for the same price as the refurb. :thmbsp: I couldn't be happier with Harman. I guess I just got lucky for once.

I'm so glad to hear you found the right amp for your setup - and cool to hear the H/K was so good to work with! I'd love to seem some pics :)

looks like a beast of an integrated amp. Glad you found something that works for you. Enjoy!!!!

What ?! no loudness switch ?

Like most modern integrated amps and receivers, no loudness switch. The exception being some of the lower power Yamaha models that have a variable loudness control. The A-S1000 I had did not have the loudness control but probably could have benefitted from it.

Doesn't the room correction software that's built in also function as a "loudness switch"?

Doesn't the room correction software that's built in also function as a "loudness switch"?

I never thought of it in that way but I guess you could say that. You can also boost the gain, treble and bass in all settings save for analog direct. You can only boost the gain on that setting. Actually, the gain does kinda' act like a loudness function. I am still trying to learn everything this amp can do.

Well, it's an HK and, an HK is a HK, meaning, HK amps are well design, hi current capable, heavy, serious and looking forward to a cash entry to get
one of these to drive my Boston A-400 ( 4 ohms )

Do the amp allows to drive 4 ohms loads ?
Does it have a relay protection?

so,:lurk:

Well, it's an HK and, an HK is a HK, meaning, HK amps are well design, hi current capable, heavy, serious and looking forward to a cash entry to get
one of these to drive my Boston A-400 ( 4 ohms )

Do the amp allows to drive 4 ohms loads ?
Does it have a relay protection?

so,:lurk:

Regarding the load, I can only tell what is written in the less than adequate owners manual. "You can listen to TWO pairs of speakers at the same time ONLY if the impedance of EACH speaker is NOT LESS THAN 8 ohms." Under the specs section it lists the output at 150 watts at 8 ohms and 300 at 4 ohms. My A/D/S speakers are rated at "6 ohms nominal; 4 ohms minimum." It does run a bit warm but I have read that is normal for this amp. Regarding protection, it looks like it has every protection device known to man.:yes: I do think this one is a keeper. I can't wait to get the SVS sub.

I've been eyeballing this amp ever since they were released to the North American market. My question is about how it sounds. Does it have a "signature"? What would you compare it to, sonically?

I've been eyeballing this amp ever since they were released to the North American market. My question is about how it sounds. Does it have a "signature"? What would you compare it to, sonically?

Hi J, it is hard for me to put my finger on it's sound for a few reasons. You have the ability to change from pure analog processing to four different pure digital processes. All have their pluses and minuses depending on source and recordings. For example, some of my older rock albums sound better to me on the DSP digital processing than the analog. On Jazz or more acoustic recordings, I generally prefer the analog. On digital recordings, it is more confusing. My main CD player has balanced analog outs and a coax digital out. I have both hooked up to the HK. I find myself liking the digital processing most of the time but on a few, the analog sounds more natural. Of course the SACD's will only play through the analog outs. I find this is the best and most accurate sound overall. I really like the flexibility and features of this amp. I don't know of any other that can compare to it in that category. It is the best I have had and I can't seem to turn it off. Give me a little more time with it and I can probably nail it down better. I know things will change once I get the SVS sub-woofer.

Back
Top Bottom