Mid-Priced CD Player Options

MikeT.

Displaced Irish Cajun
Subscriber
I would appreciate opinions on a mid-priced CD player which will replace my two-box transport and DAC which I recently sold in the process of downsizing and simplifying.

I've narrowed it down to two units and look to forum members with experience with these units to give me any pros and cons about each unit. If there is another I am overlooking at @ $500, I'm all ears.:D
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Marantz CD 6005
NAD C 546BEE

I may end up using this unit as a transport only with another outboard DAC in the future. I may decide to go computer/streaming audio with DAC. I really haven't decided.

For the foreseeable future, this unit will be my main source.

I think there is a Cambridge unit as well. I don't like the sound of them but some folks do. The NAD is a fine sounding unit but I think the CD6005 adds better reliability and great sound as well. The Marantz also comes with a very nice 3 yr warranty.

Marantz CD6005
Marantz CD6004
Marantz CD6003
Pioneer PD-D6-J

Denon DCD-710AE
Cambridge Audio Azur 650C ,

Any of the first four, but I think you probably have the best with your pick, the Marantz CD 6005.

I think there is a Cambridge unit as well. I don't like the sound of them but some folks do. The NAD is a fine sounding unit but I think the CD6005 adds better reliability and great sound as well. The Marantz also comes with a very nice 3 yr warranty.

I am returning a Cambridge 651C due to some defects out of the box. I had a good experience with the 350C a couple of years ago but I don't think I'll go the Cambridge route now. The sound, on top of the defect, was not good....too edgy.

I've read a lot good things about the Marantz and was kind of heading that way but thought some impressions on the NAD would be helpful.

Thanks for the comments Art.

Why? Did you have a NAD player that was unreliable?

Why? Did you have a NAD player that was unreliable?

I've owned a lot of NAD products (including CD players) and we currently have an NAD amp in my wife's setup. Also had a couple of friends who were NAD dealers. NAD CD players have a well deserved reputation as unreliable. I wish it weren't so because they sound very good for the money.

At the moment, I'm leaning heavily towards the Marantz. It plays more file types through the USB input, has a IEC C15 two-pin AC plug versus the C7 for the NAD. I had such good luck in the past with Cambridge I thought I'd be done already but the out of box failure plus the edgy sound has really turned me off to the unit.
Also, the Marantz provides more text information from CD (artist, album, song, etc) versus NAD. Has nothing to do with the sound but provides a better overall experience.

I've owned a lot of NAD products (including CD players) and we currently have an NAD amp in my wife's setup. Also had a couple of friends who were NAD dealers. NAD CD players have a well deserved reputation as unreliable. I wish it weren't so because they sound very good for the money.

Fair enough then - what exactly were the issues? My NAD integrated amp is just fine - my Yamaha and Onkyo receivers - not so much (HDMI issues with my 906 and my 3800 Yammy volume doesn't work - only on the remote).

This may be a pointless post since I don't have any personal experience with it, but since you asked if you were missing any options, I thought I'd better throw this out there at least. The Yamaha CD-S700 is 50% off at accessories for less which puts it right on your $500 budget. The OPPO BDP-103 should probably be mentioned since it also comes in on your budget. It could potentially fit within your downsizing/streamlining goal to be a multi player. It would be fun to see a shootout between those 2 and the Marantz CD 6005 :D

Thanks to all for responses. I pulled the trigger on a Marantz CD6005 this afternoon. It should be here Thursday:banana:

More updates to come. :music:

I'm very happy with the Marantz CD6005. Very quiet operation, fast loading....no drama, just how you'd expect a CD player to operate.

Sounds wonderful. Very natural and neutral. No etched high end or bloated low end. Detailed top to bottom.

Front panel layout logical.

I can see why so many have recommended this player. :thmbsp::music:

I'm very happy with the Marantz CD6005. Very quiet operation, fast loading....no drama, just how you'd expect a CD player to operate.

Sounds wonderful. Very natural and neutral. No etched high end or bloated low end. Detailed top to bottom.

Front panel layout logical.

I can see why so many have recommended this player. :thmbsp::music:

My CD 6004 had auto standby as default. If yours does I would defeat it and leave it on 24/7. Also turn the display off. It all makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips Art. I believe it does have the auto standby. Found the dimmer and giving it a try. Lots of CD player here for the price.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumours. I haven't been able to listen to this CD in ages with my other gear. Seems like I have good balance working here :thmbsp::music:

Congrats on the new CDP, Mike!

Have you seen my thread on my new iFI DSD DAC & iUSB PS? Incredble! I know you have music downloaded. This thing would let you do DSD 64 on the fly while surpassing the sound and quality of a CDP. If you have the time, look into the iFI DSD DAC and iUSB PS....my MF X-RAY CDP is going in the wife's office...and you know how much I loved that thing

Back
Top Bottom