Recommendations Needed For Bookshelf Size Speakers

The Q100s look interesting. However, with a price of $549.99/pr direct from KEF puts them at the high end of the budget. Anyone have experience with these speakers who can comment on their SQ?

I've heard two different towers in the Q line and wasn't impressed. Haven't heard the 100's though. I felt the bass was bloated and the high end was a bit rough. Back when I was shopping for speakers in their price range, I bought something else.
Personally, I like the Epos more.
YMMV

I'm still leaning towards the Airmotiv 5s. They use two 50 watt Class AB amps. One for HF and the other for LF for a total 100 watts per speaker. Dimensions on these are 10.9” high x 7.125” wide x 8.375” deep, which make them the perfect size, and they weigh 13lbs each.

Operaman, you need to check these out and they should be considered.

The Epic 2s at $400 is a steal.....I have thought about another pr for my other system. The only problem for you and wanting smaller speakers is the Epic 2s sound very big.

Have fun

The Epic 2s at $400 is a steal.....I have thought about another pr for my other system. The only problem for you and wanting smaller speakers is the Epic 2s sound very big.

Have fun

I don't see where I have a problem. TBH, I'm having the time of my life and it couldn't be better.

I'm confused. Are you looking for strictly powered speakers or just speakers?

I am looking for bookshelf size speakers that will the room with natural sound. It just so happens that I found a stupid good deal on a pair of powered monitors, the Airmotiv 5s. They retail for $448, but I can buy them for $358.40.

Amazon has the JBL LSR305 powered monitors for under $300! Here is a review and measurements:

The JBL LSR305's have changed my mind about what constant directivity can do. Even if you have a kicking HiFi now you might want to pick up a pair of the JBL LSR305's as something to try out. For the price and something you can send back to Amazon without issue it's kind of silly not to do it. I've never tested anything so uniformly flat both on and off axis in the treble range, and they have a ton of detail in there with the reflected sound and direct sound both being damn near flat it makes for a new experience. The areas that it's lacking are in euphoric's, and a realistically sized/shaped sound stage, but closer than normal placement to side walls and running with some toe in seems to help with those issues.

http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Last edited:
If you haven't bought yet -- CL has a guy in NJ with a pair of ROGERS for very cheap. I'd check those out. Vintage, but highly sought after especially the smaller speakers.

Reviving this thread from the dead.

4Play, did you go with the Emotivas? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Airmotiv 5s, but am also looking at the Adam F5, which is very similar in look and technology. I'll be using for some listening, but mainly as monitors for recording music.

I went ahead and bought the Emotivas. I'm a bit worried that they're rear ported, but there is 30 day no questions asked return policy. I will post a mini review when I get them broken in next week.

In that price range, for powered speakers, you should have considered the Kanto Yumi. Not only are they great sounding speakers, but they have bluetooth, a built-in dac, and a USB charging port.

Back
Top Bottom