New Separates from Line Magnetic...

Stopped by my Line Magnetic dealer and was gopbsmacked to see the new LM 512CA preamp and 503 Mono Blocks - holy cow these things are beasts. The power amps are similar in approach to my 219IA in terms of 310A into 300B into 845. 24 watts per channel but wow very impressive build quality as per usual.

140918101139.jpg

140918101225.jpg

140918101301.jpg

The preamp

140918112903.jpg

140918113033.jpg

I didn't get the chance to hear it because they were demoing a Melody amp for someone. But I will arrange an audition.

This stuff isn't cheap - the preamp is in the $10,000US range and the monoblocks in the $15,000 range. Still the monoblocks are the size of the Audio Note Jinro. 32Kg each (70lbs)

As big as they were they were they were dwarfed by the Melody 212 which sell for well over $50,000US.

http://www.melodyamplifier.com/wp-c...ropped-Melody_Everest_212_Platinum_Series.png

These things were monstrous. I wish I had my camera with me because you can't really see the size without a reference point. But EACH monoblock weighs 75Kg (165Lbs).

Looking good.Which Line Magnetic preAmp would be the best match for the Line Magnetic (LM) 219IA??
Cheers for the pics!!
Stump

I think it will be the 512 and the main reason is that the 512 seems to be the natural mate for the 503 monoblocks. The 503 appears to me to be the upgraded separates version of the 219IA.

There is a kind of Line Magnetic 1 and Line Magnetic 2 or (Classic series)
It now appears that there is a Silver Series, A Gold Series, and now this is the Blue Series which is the top series. Though the 219 while Silver seems to be a different thing because it is actually Black (but you can get it in silver). So it's its own thing.

The classic series is run by the other brother (two brothers run it) and all the classic series are made in a different plant. In Hong Kong one dealer sells the classic series exclusively. In the US Tone Imports gets both probably to avoid confusion. The classic series is more based on the Western Electric stuff and appears to be the very high priced stuff - though they have entry models like the VV3 preamp (kind of the brown series) which seems to me to be more affordable.

I'm going to do an auditon with my 219IA then the preamp into the 219IA then the preamp and power amps combination to see how it all shakes out. They were running the Zu Audio speakers again and I will have to get them to change those out. I dunno - they just don't do it for me. Fortunately they have ATC SCM 100s for people like me. Although they're not ideal they are pro monitors and the LM stuff can wrestle some musicality out of the analytical beasties which in itself is a minor miracle.

Don't remember if any one compared side by side extensive....at least not what I read.

Has anyone her had extensive comparison between the 219a and the 518a? One online reviewer implied that both are very similar and that he can live with either equally well. But others have said that 219 is better - but I am wondering by how much (subjectively) and in what way? Yet I read one person who liked the 518 more than the 219.

So it is a challenging jumble to figure out.

Thanks!
UL

Don't remember if any one compared side by side extensive....at least not what I read.

Has anyone her had extensive comparison between the 219a and the 518a? One online reviewer implied that both are very similar and that he can live with either equally well. But others have said that 219 is better - but I am wondering by how much (subjectively) and in what way? Yet I read one person who liked the 518 more than the 219.

So it is a challenging jumble to figure out.

Thanks!
UL

I have owned the LM216ia, 501ia and now the 518ia. I have listened to the 219ia for about 100+ hours and my 518ia for about 200+ hours both in my home and compared with same source and speakers so i have had time to play with both amps at my leisure with known equipment.

Here is MY take on both the 219 and 518 out of the box. Both have a laid back vibe but yet are quick and dynamic. Power wise both seem to exceed their specs. Both have great tone. The sound stage on the 219 is slightly wider. Both have great detail but the 518 has a little more, the sound of the 219 at times can sound a little thick (warm) and some detail seems to get lost and the 518 is a little more fluid. Because of the slightly more warm sound of the 219 the 518 seems slightly more aggressive.

Most of the above listening was done using Harbeth 30.1, M40.1, DeVore 88`s Forte and GoldenEar 2 Tower speakers. Using the Harbeth, DeVore and Forte speakers the 219 gave a wider presentation while the 518 sounded smaller almost coffee house. Listening with the GoldenEar Towers the soundstage of the 518 got wider while the 219 seemed to stay the same. Using the GoldenEar speakers both amps seemed to gain detail the 518 to the extent that i had one friend mention that there seemed to be too much detail (??).

Both amps respond well to tube rolling with the biggest change in sound coming from changing the 12AX7 tubes. I have tried almost every 12AX7 tube and for now have settled with the Raytheon 12AX7 from vintage 1962. The 518 with these tubes has = the soundstage of the 219. The Psvane 12AX7-T11 is another good tube but gives a smaller presentation and is not as liquid.

Listening for as many hours as i have both side by side as always it comes down to personal preference and taste and on any given day my preference might have been the 219 or the 518, they are that close. My friend who thought the 518 had too much detail liked the 219 because of this while myself i want to hear everything laid down on the tracks.

What i liked about the 219 was the slightly richer tone that could be heard on some music, but when i bought the TWL power cord for the 518 that tone is now close to the 219.

Any person might pick one amp over the other, these amps like to breath and flex their muscles as i found using the GoldenEar speakers, both can be delicate yet drop the hammer when needed. I listen to a wide variety of
music and the 518 being slightly more aggressive is why i choose the 518. But the overall presentation of both amps i would describe as laid back.

I consider both amps two of the best amps that can be purchased today, you need to spend a lot more to get better and what might be better for one is not for the other.

Last edited:
RH67,

Thanks for your reply. Tremendous insight. Since both are laid back, it seems that one would want the detail of the 518 as I think of laid back to also impact the amount of detail retrieved.

Again, thanks for the extended reply. Given your time and number of speakers auditioned, your insight is valuable.

THanks!!
UL

RH67,

Thanks for your reply. Tremendous insight. Since both are laid back, it seems that one would want the detail of the 518 as I think of laid back to also impact the amount of detail retrieved.

Again, thanks for the extended reply. Given your time and number of speakers auditioned, your insight is valuable.

THanks!!
UL

It`s tough with the LM equipment, limited input from owners and a handful of reviews at best, thus the reason i have owned three LM`s in just the last year along with three other brands of amps.

This time before buying the 518 i wanted to make sure that i was buying an amp that was going to meet my expectations so i listened to the 219 and the Shindo 845 amps at six times the 518 price and i`m very happy with the 518, listening to music now is an adventure or a musical journey.

The 845 tube i feel is very special in music applications with a properly designed amp, in my 40+ years of being involved in audio i have never heard such excellent bass reproduction from a tube amp, the texture and fine detail produced in the lower region is crazy good.

A good speaker match with the 518 are the GoldenEar speakers, they allow the 518 to deliver everything that it has to offer.

Thanks. I run the KEF LS50.

Did try a number of speakers while searching including the Golden Ear seven which at least one dealer preferred over the two. This is subjective of course. But I tried them with solid state and a lower end Prima Luna prologue one.

Anyways, the Seven was very impressive in its holographic quality. But in the end, the LS50 was simply the most natural/accurate in tone. I think that some may call it the microdynamics. My wife and I have no idea what it is called but it was the most natural sounding of all the speakers we tested all the way up to $2500 units.

If there is any problem, it is that the LS50 is a bit more on the analytical side than I like so I need to test different tubes with the 518 beyond the stock ones to get a bit more body/weight. Also like the LM 502 DAC very much. Significantly better than the Oppo 95/105.

UL

It`s tough with the LM equipment, limited input from owners and a handful of reviews at best, thus the reason i have owned three LM`s in just the last year along with three other brands of amps.

This time before buying the 518 i wanted to make sure that i was buying an amp that was going to meet my expectations so i listened to the 219 and the Shindo 845 amps at six times the 518 price and i`m very happy with the 518, listening to music now is an adventure or a musical journey.

The 845 tube i feel is very special in music applications with a properly designed amp, in my 40+ years of being involved in audio i have never heard such excellent bass reproduction from a tube amp, the texture and fine detail produced in the lower region is crazy good.

A good speaker match with the 518 are the GoldenEar speakers, they allow the 518 to deliver everything that it has to offer.

RH67,

THanks!!
UL

If you have the cash and you don't mind the weight - the 219IA. First it's dual mono and the transformers are much beefier - the bass with speakers that have bass will go down lower and handle it better. Dual mono amplifiers have no crosstalk. There is more dynamics both micro and macro I suspect because the 310A and 300B is simply a better combination and the lower noise afforded the dual mono design will paint a clearer backdrop. The 518 and 218 are excellent and for that matter so is the 211 so this is commentary based with my comparisons.

The issue with comparisons is there is no variable that you can totally control here. Different tubes can change the sound in both so while one could say X is warmer than Y that can reverse by changing the tubes to an extent. I am more of a transformer guy than a tube guy. I'd say the transformer is responsible for 90%+ of the sound. And this is generally where LM is doing well against a lot of stuff since they make their own transformers based on WE designs.

The 518 will be MUCH MUCH cheaper to tube roll and of course to buy. Further you get a lot of tube option in the driver stage. But the 300B isn't one of them. And there are those that like the straight 300B amp from LM.

That's the thing - it's not necessarily about price it's more about which tube sound do you like more. And you hope it's not the one that costs a bomb. IMO detail is usually grain. Elements in the treble that stand out are elements not joined together properly in the time domain and they stand out. But never when I listen to any instrument live do I say to myself "wow check out the detail on that cellist performance. Fraction of a second gaps that allow stuff to stick out more - it's kind of why I am not a big fan of KT 88 and KT 120 amplifiers because they sound too much like SS.

I doubt you'll go wrong with either amplifier but on fuller range loudspeakers like my dealers ATC SCM 100 I think you will hear more of why I would take the 219IA over the 218 or 518. On mediumish sized standmounts on down that may not reveal itself as prominently.

I've said this in my review of the Audio Note I-Zero. You could buy a less expensive amplifier and you could add pricey power cords, pricey tubes and it MIGHT get to the point where they sound as good as the I-Zero. But that's not a sure thing and you could also add those improvements to the I Zero. And with the 219IA you could buy 15 different tubes and add power cords to get it up to the 219IA but then you could do the same things to the 219IA which would then pull it up to ever higher levels. In either one you want to dump the stock 12AX7. My dealer recommended Tung Sol Gold pin http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/Tung-Sol-12AX7-ECC803-S-Gold
Which are not too expensive.

Did try a number of speakers while searching including the Golden Ear seven which at least one dealer preferred over the two. This is subjective of course. But I tried them with solid state and a lower end Prima Luna prologue one.

Anyways, the Seven was very impressive in its holographic quality. But in the end, the LS50 was simply the most natural/accurate in tone. I think that some may call it the microdynamics. My wife and I have no idea what it is called but it was the most natural sounding of all the speakers we tested all the way up to $2500 units.

If there is any problem, it is that the LS50 is a bit more on the analytical side than I like so I need to test different tubes with the 518 beyond the stock ones to get a bit more body/weight. Also like the LM 502 DAC very much. Significantly better than the Oppo 95/105.

UL

The TWL power cord did more than any tube rolling that i have done and it does exactly what you are looking for, body and weight. Not that the 518 needed that, just everything the 518 does well was taken up a notch or two with the TWL power cord. Having done some tube rolling with the 518 if you purchase the 518 maybe i could give you some guidance as far as tube selection otherwise you can spend lots of money on tubes.

Speaker selection is very personal, the 518 will make most any speaker sound better. As you saw in my earlier post i have owned many speakers including the LS50 in just the last couple of years. Having been a speaker designer and manufacture i know it`s a tough business, most good speakers take lots of audition time to be fully appreciated and most people do not take the time or do not know what to listen for.

Having owned the LS50`s for four months i know what your looking for in the speaker, unfortunately the speaker design is not going to allow you to get what your after no matter what amp you use. You would need to move up to the Blade to retain the LS50 sound and to fill in the gaps that the LS50 has. That speaker on the technical aspect is a GoldenEar Tower speaker just clothed in wood. It`s a brilliant speaker but also costly at 29k.

Having said the above, it is possible that the 518 being a 845 SET amp could give you what you are after with your speaker combination to an extent to make you happy, but only you can determine that, just take your time and have fun in the process.

Last edited:
If you have the cash and you don't mind the weight - the 219IA. First it's dual mono and the transformers are much beefier - the bass with speakers that have bass will go down lower and handle it better. Dual mono amplifiers have no crosstalk. There is more dynamics both micro and macro I suspect because the 310A and 300B is simply a better combination and the lower noise afforded the dual mono design will paint a clearer backdrop. The 518 and 218 are excellent and for that matter so is the 211 so this is commentary based with my comparisons.

The issue with comparisons is there is no variable that you can totally control here. Different tubes can change the sound in both so while one could say X is warmer than Y that can reverse by changing the tubes to an extent. I am more of a transformer guy than a tube guy. I'd say the transformer is responsible for 90%+ of the sound. And this is generally where LM is doing well against a lot of stuff since they make their own transformers based on WE designs.

The 518 will be MUCH MUCH cheaper to tube roll and of course to buy. Further you get a lot of tube option in the driver stage. But the 300B isn't one of them. And there are those that like the straight 300B amp from LM.

That's the thing - it's not necessarily about price it's more about which tube sound do you like more. And you hope it's not the one that costs a bomb. IMO detail is usually grain. Elements in the treble that stand out are elements not joined together properly in the time domain and they stand out. But never when I listen to any instrument live do I say to myself "wow check out the detail on that cellist performance. Fraction of a second gaps that allow stuff to stick out more - it's kind of why I am not a big fan of KT 88 and KT 120 amplifiers because they sound too much like SS.

I doubt you'll go wrong with either amplifier but on fuller range loudspeakers like my dealers ATC SCM 100 I think you will hear more of why I would take the 219IA over the 218 or 518. On mediumish sized standmounts on down that may not reveal itself as prominently.

I've said this in my review of the Audio Note I-Zero. You could buy a less expensive amplifier and you could add pricey power cords, pricey tubes and it MIGHT get to the point where they sound as good as the I-Zero. But that's not a sure thing and you could also add those improvements to the I Zero. And with the 219IA you could buy 15 different tubes and add power cords to get it up to the 219IA but then you could do the same things to the 219IA which would then pull it up to ever higher levels. In either one you want to dump the stock 12AX7. My dealer recommended Tung Sol Gold pin http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/Tung-Sol-12AX7-ECC803-S-Gold
Which are not too expensive.

All good information.

In general, simpler speakers sound better over the long haul. 1-2 way designs with SET amplifiers. Once you start adding passive radiators, dissimilar sounding driver types, hybrids, side firing woofers, super tweeters I usually wind up asking does it sound better than a Devore Orangutan, Audio Note E, or Teresonic Ingenium and the answer is almost always no.

The other day I auditioned a big Italian made 4-5 way floorstander of maybe $30k on near top of the line Pass Labs solid state. The track being demoed was Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren (a popular demo track the last couple years). I couldn't get into it. Yes the detail was impress - lots of ssssssss on his voice. I went home and fired up the same cut. far less sssssss but the resolution on the guitar was just as high without the sibilance and I could easily be drawn into the song and not focusing on the "sound" of the artifacts in the recording. This is basically what you decide. I get why people would buy the Pass system or I should say the speakers. Ribbons present a certain sound but you know I always find that I notice the tweeter standing apart from the rest of the drivers.

The KEF does this generally better than most but you give up scale and image height and bass. Always trade-offs. It's also not particularly a SET friendly loudspeaker.

THANK YOU both - RGA & RH67.

Not sure why but I did not get an update that there has been new posts.

Anyways, thanks. I will look into your 12ax7 tube recommendations. Keep them coming.

I'm more of a 'bang for the buck' kind of a guy given limited budget.

Really, the 518 (maybe try 219 someday - can get that but not sure about the increase in performance for the $) seem to be a bit overkill in terms of quality of amp for the LS50. But perhaps this is a testament to the quality of the LS50. RGA, I know that for acoustic stuff you prefer the Audio Note speaker more than the LS50. (Did you review of the LS50 every come out?)

Anyways, what I'd like to know is if you gentlemen think that something like the 518 is outclassed by speakers such as the Blade or Blade 2. Neither is in my budget range but one can always dream....:)

I can say that with my 518, I don't feel that I want for more amp but will take your (RGA) comments into account about the 219. Need to audition it someday. Had a chance recently but ran out of time due to my speaking engagements.

UL

Back
Top Bottom