Berkeley RS DAC

estreeter

it's worth noting that Chris Connaker has had a thing for BAD from the get-go, and I have to wonder if he scored a 'deep' discount on his RS as a result of this review and the equally gushing thread in the CA forums.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...dio-design-alpha-dac-reference-series-review/

Rarely do I hear a component that's truly a game changer, a component that's so good I can't stop listening through it, and a component that's so good it renders much of the competition irrelevant. I can't remember, off the top of my head, the last time I heard such a component. That is, before the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series arrived. The Alpha DAC RS, every bit a true game changer, blew me away from the first listen in my system. Since its arrival I've listened to more complete albums and heard more new sounds from old albums than any time in my life. The Alpha DAC RS is so good and such a game changer it may force consumers to reconsider their desire for high resolution music. Sure the Alpha DAC RS can reproduce high resolution music better than any DAC I've heard in my system, but its absolute magic can be heard with standard CD quality 16 bit / 44.1 kHz material. The Alpha DAC RS is without question the best DAC I've heard anywhere when it comes to 16/44.1 playback. I've never heard detail, delicacy, and transparency with my favorite music like I have when listening through this DAC. The Alpha DAC RS is so outstanding that I equate its presence in my system to that of a new pair of loudspeakers. That's correct; the Alpha DAC RS had an impact on my system equivalent to a new pair of loudspeakers. In fact, the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series is the most remarkable sounding product I've ever reviewed.

Cant wait to hear from Richard on this one - hopefully he'll get a listen to the RS at some stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've always done is to try and hear as much gear as possible, whether I can afford it or not. By setting the bar higher and listening to the best gear, no matter what the cost, it allows me to make better choices and compromises with the actual gear that I can afford.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard other Berkeley Dacs and they are spectacularly good sounding. An older Alpha is high on my audio bucket list.

Thanks Mods for cleaning up this thread. Chris over at ComputerAudiophile has pretty much heard every high end DAC out there. And for him to say that this Berkeley RS is the most remarkable sounding product he has ever reviewed says something. It would be great if some of the custom technology and parts that are in the RS would eventually filter down to a lower costing product. Hopefully there will be one of these being shown next month at RMAF and I will get a chance to check it out.

While I understand the rules for this forum, I don't think anyone was "griping" about the price.

The progression is a predictable one, and I do agree about the last part of your quote. I missed that, It's gone and I'll remove it from your post as well.

That said, discussion of moderation in public is also off limits. If any of you has a problem with moderation anywhere in AK all you have to do is look at the bottom of the forum you're viewing. It lists the moderators for that forum. Send a PM if you have questions or need clarification. Next public complaint about moderation in this thread gets a paid 3 day vacation.

Last edited:
Indeed. Title is also being changed to something less polarizing. We're done discussing the cost of this unit unless you've actually heard it. If you HAVE heard it please share.

Anyone besides me heard a Berkeley DAC?

No, but I have heard the DAC that knocked the Alpha from the top of Chris' personal totem pole prior to the arrival of the RS.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/340-weiss-engineering-dac202-review/

If I had to describe the Weiss, it would be 'effortless' - complete contrast to my Oppo which works very hard to present every microdetail.

Back
Top Bottom