NAD vs Rotel

chillard1

Bought a pair of RTI A7s. Running them with a Sansui 8900zbd...sounds decent at best. Looking to step into the 21st century with an integrated amp in the $1500 range. I want a built in DAC for ALACs and I will listen to some cds as well. I was pretty much set on the NAD C375DAC until I went in to the local audio retailer. He carried the Rotel RA-1570 in addition to the NAD. He was pretty adamant about the Rotel smoking the NAD. I listened to them both running a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and sure enough the Rotel sounded better with those speakers in the showroom. Trying to figure out if this will hold true with my Polks in my relatively small very live (two windows, wood floor, sheetrock) room at home. Anyone listened to both? What is your opinion. I know I should make my own choice but I just wanted to hear your thoughts if you have any.

I would avoid Rotel. I have 3 different Rotel items from the early 90's sitting here that Rotel has chosen not to supply parts for. I find this to be unacceptably poor customer service.

Neither will likely provide you with parts for your 20+ year old amps. I had a dealer that sold both, believe me.

Not quite the same issue you're dealing with, but my main rig uses both. Rotel RC-1070 for the preamp and a NAD C270 for the power amp. They work well together.

Well, Rotel and B&W are know to pair well so I don't think that's a surprise.
I had a Rotel 1062 and found it to be a little grainy and a fatiguing, but had great bass impact and slam. Great for rock, but slightly edgy. My room is also somewhat bright with a decent amount of echo.
I would go for the NAD. I have found the 356 and 375 to be very smooth with pretty good detail. That said, I haven't heard those Polks.

The only thing to do is get the salesman to let you try them both in your room. Or, bring in your speakers...which still won't address your room, but it's better than a blind choice. For me, I would be leaning toward the the Rotel because it sounds better at this point.

I don't think trying to brand match is a good idea.

Rotel - B&W
Naim - Focal
Arcam - Monitor Audio
Nad - ?

And so on, these are made to be together :)

I think these are more price matched pairs,
I've always considered Nad and Rotel in the same level, better than the Japanese and a bit inferior to Arcam and Naim

Personally, I like the present NAD sound better than Rotel. However, if you heard a Rotel system that worked for you...it isn't about what I like.

Pulled the Trigger

went with the NAD C375DAC from Crutchfield. I love it so far...so much punch and detail (more than I've ever heard). Anyways the only thing I'm questioning is the decision to go with the DAC module built in. How good is it? Should I take the module back and get an affordable external dac -$200 that could beat it. Also my CD Player is a Carver MV-5 I always thought it sounded adequate, but I kinda hate changers any really nice cheap (hopefully not an oxymoron) CD players you can recommend off the top of your heads.

You went to a dealer and listened to his equipment and then bought online? Did I read that correctly?

You went to a dealer and listened to his equipment and then bought online? Did I read that correctly?

You did - that's ok though, it's what people want to do today. They don't want to pay that extra $100 for the 'privilege' of auditioning and taking your time. I prefer to go to the local shop and most will match (or come very close) to online prices anyway. I got my NAD 375 for the same price (in Cdn dollars) as it was selling for online in the US.

But, I challenge this NAD vs Rotel thing. You need to do this 'blind', level matched, on the same speakers, in the same room, and you need a 'third' one in there too to make it more interesting. No one has ever (and there is a million dollar reward for this) been able to discern the difference in the sound of amps, or cables. It's a myth. Go for power and features and zero prejudice on sound. If the amps are working correctly and not being over driven you won't be able to tell the difference (if there is something wrong with one of them, you will though)

You did - that's ok though, it's what people want to do today. They don't want to pay that extra $100 for the 'privilege' of auditioning and taking your time. I prefer to go to the local shop and most will match (or come very close) to online prices anyway. I got my NAD 375 for the same price (in Cdn dollars) as it was selling for online in the US.

But, I challenge this NAD vs Rotel thing. You need to do this 'blind', level matched, on the same speakers, in the same room, and you need a 'third' one in there too to make it more interesting. No one has ever (and there is a million dollar reward for this) been able to discern the difference in the sound of amps, or cables. It's a myth. Go for power and features and zero prejudice on sound. If the amps are working correctly and not being over driven you won't be able to tell the difference (if there is something wrong with one of them, you will though)
While there is no doubt that one should try to purchase the same unit they auditioned from a sales person who's time they used. However, there is a flip side to this, if they cannot come close to a price match, there is the sticky issue of paying 8-10% more just in taxes that can still be avoided buying online. I've saved hundreds, bordering on a thousand dollars through avoiding sales tax, which, allowed me to upgrade other items because of it. I already pay state and federal taxes on my income, I need not give my state anymore taxes than already due...:no:

I live in Charlottesville (Where Crutchfield Started) so we have a retail store where I demoed it against a peachtree integrated amp of comparable specs with my own speakers. I liked the NAD much better. I never was able to listen to the Rotel with my own speakers however the NAD with my rtia7s sounded slightly warmer (which I like since I have a bright, live room) than the Rotel and the B&Ws while still staying extremely detailed in the treble.

This is quite compelling...no one has been able to discern the difference in sound of amps???? Doesn't that go against, well, just about everything we've been talking about this whole time? I want more evidence that this is true...a lot of money is being wasted on a myth if your assertions are fact.

This is quite compelling...no one has been able to discern the difference in sound of amps???? Doesn't that go against, well, just about everything we've been talking about this whole time? I want more evidence that this is true...a lot of money is being wasted on a myth if your assertions are fact.

It's amazing the number of people spending time and I assume money on Vi ntage forums and equipment when they seem to believe eveything sounds the same. I'm sorry about their ears, but why are they so proud of not being able to hear differences in equipment...mystery.

Perhaps it's an underlying resentment about other people having better hearing and discernment...that get's sublimated into internet nastiness and hubris.

I'm browsing the third page and already i've seen two threads crapped on by these guys bragging about their tin ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom