Triode Wire Labs & The LM 518ia

RH67

These are my observations of the Triode Wire Labs 7+ American power cord connected to the LM 518ia.

A few months back when i sold the AR Reference 150 the Shunyato Python power cord went with it. So when i purchased the LM about a month or so ago i had nothing but the stock power cord to use. I have been enjoying the LM 518 so much that i have not even thought about replacing the power cord.

It was not until about a week and a half ago that "slippers-on" posted a link to Triode Wire Labs, i went to their site but was skeptical because what they were claiming for their wires and power cords at their price points from my experience just does not happen. I figured that one had to spend at least 1k to even start to hear sonic improvements in power cords and the improvements are not always self evident at the 1k price point. Now at the 2k price point power cords such as the Shunyato Python after break in, there is no doubt about sonic improvement.

After talking to Pete, the owner of Triode Wire Labs i felt that we had some things in common as far as our thoughts on audio and he offers a 30 trial period so i ordered the +7 power cord.

The cord came in two days i was impressed with the cord and delivery, so far so good. I connected everything and let the amp warm up for 20mins. So here i go and start playing music and for the first minute i sat there with my mouth open and it was not the good jaw dropping open mouth. The music was soo bass heavy i thought here we go once again a low price product that claims to run with the big boys. As i sat there sulking and thinking what a crock i started to hear changes in the music, i started to pick myself up out of my funk and started to really listen, a transformation was happening before my ears. This is something that i have never experienced in such a short time. By the time the CD finished the sound was completely balanced.

The LM sounds better than it ever has using the 7+. What the LM 518 has been noted for is even better, words really cannot describe how good it sounds. The sonic improvements standout they are not something that you think you hear.

The Triode Wire Labs 7+ surpassed my expectations in every regard. It hands down is the best $500 that i have ever spent on audio, you would have to spend 4x it`s price to even try to match it`s performance. I like it so much i`m even going to give his speaker cable a try.

Here is a link. http://triodewirelabs.com/audiophile-power-cable-seven-plus.html

Hi there RH67,

Welcome to the world of TWL, as Byron and I refer to the company, as he and I've spoken about their line of cables and power cords some seemingly 8 months ago, and I've been using their 10 Plus Cord for over a year now, and have demo'ed them against AC Cords upwards of $1.200, and never felt the need to spend more, as to my way of thinking, or better yet hearing the manner to which the notes are rendered with such a sense of fidelity as well as ebb and flow, why bother?, I've asked myself repeatedly.

Yet, as mentioned to Byron, I'm intending on adding a 7 Plus onto my Line Distributor in a few months, as I'm trying to finalize a few more system details before years end, at which point I merely want to go into the new year pursuing downloads and tubes, because as far as the system goes - a few things here and there, and I'm done.

But as I've always told others over the last 6 years, hearing is believing, and how else would someone know what something's capable of without even giving it a try in their homes?, it's not a matter of cost, as I've felt since 2003, that decent AC Cords start at $350/2m and then upwards.

But it seems that you were capable of hearing what this line of cabling and cords were fully doing in less then a hour!, and in my book that's how they should be judged, but know this..............., it only gets better from here.

Enjoy your $500 investment on your LM Audio 518IA, as it relates to all things audio any/everything makes a diffence - while some would've us believe otherwise, it just isn't so, BS is just that BS, and one should try items out before knocking what they clearly are clueless to, I'd say.

Happy listening RH67, and welcome to the club!, now wait until you've heard your amp with their speaker cables, or the CRL Bronze Series versions.................., it's going to throw you for a loop, big time.

Regards,
o_O scar

Hi KT77

TWL is better to type lol.

I have always believed in upgrading power cords. The issue i see is that one has to take a leap of faith, i personally have not found and to be honest had given up on trying to find a power cord in the $100, $200, $300 price range that made a sonic improvement. They might look better but that is about it. So i understand why some who have bought these cords are non believers in power cords making an improvement in sonics and were unwilling to take that leap into the 1k and 2k and above cables which do make sonic improvements.

This is why i was hesitant at first with a TWL purchase, been there done that with the lower priced cables. But after conversation with Pete and Bryon and TWL`s 30 day money back trial period i thought what the heck.

TWL has found something that works at a price point that most can enjoy, i do not know what it is and i don`t care. The improvements in sonics between the stock power cord and the TWL power cord is profound with the 518, not sure if the change would be so profound with all equipment as the 518 knows when anything is changed, tubes, interconnects, speaker cable ect. will make a noticeable change in it`s sonic signature.

Being retired i listen to music an average of 5-7 hours a day, it also gives me time to audition lots of equipment in shops and home with equipment that i`m allowed to bring home. I have had the best DAC`s, CD players, and HiRez players at my home and nothing has improved the sound as much as the TWL 7+ power cord, like i said best $500 i have ever spent in audio.

I'm happy you found the TWL power cables to your liking. It was Oscar, who turned me on to them. Its hard to get people to trust me on these cords. I've been telling people about all of Pete's products...that the performance is way better than what youd pay for them.

As mentioned before, I heard the difference in the TWL power cords right away, but the speaker cables where going to be sent back after a month. I called Pete, and he asked me to hold on to them for another month and if they didn't improve, he'd give me all my loot back...and that was all afterhe had ran them in on the cooker for about a 100 hours.
He said he had the speaker cables in shoot outs with some of the more very expensive popular cables and had won hand down. So I kept them and after a while, they came into their own.

Now they are like having no cable at all.....its like they give no sound signature at all. The music just flows and "floats" in the air.....it all seems so natural, its amazing. Dont know if you know Bob over at Audioshark, but he has them as well and I think he worked with Pete in some of his products. He was the first person I knkew of that had the speaker cables and gave them a big thumbs up! Now the guys over at that forum have very expensive systems and some of them change gear like we change under garments...and to be using Petes cables with some of those very high end systems tells me a lot about Petes products. Pete is a great guy, and he is a real engineer, trained in his craft. So he knows his stuff.

I'm happy you found the TWL power cables to your liking. It was Oscar, who turned me on to them. Its hard to get people to trust me on these cords. I've been telling people about all of Pete's products...that the performance is way better than what youd pay for them.

As mentioned before, I heard the difference in the TWL power cords right away, but the speaker cables where going to be sent back after a month. I called Pete, and he asked me to hold on to them for another month and if they didn't improve, he'd give me all my loot back...and that was all afterhe had ran them in on the cooker for about a 100 hours.
He said he had the speaker cables in shoot outs with some of the more very expensive popular cables and had won hand down. So I kept them and after a while, they came into their own.

Now they are like having no cable at all.....its like they give no sound signature at all. The music just flows and "floats" in the air.....it all seems so natural, its amazing. Dont know if you know Bob over at Audioshark, but he has them as well and I think he worked with Pete in some of his products. He was the first person I knkew of that had the speaker cables and gave them a big thumbs up! Now the guys over at that forum have very expensive systems and some of them change gear like we change under garments...and to be using Petes cables with some of those very high end systems tells me a lot about Petes products. Pete is a great guy, and he is a real engineer, trained in his craft. So he knows his stuff.

Well i`m sure happy that i trusted you:thmbsp: as i had preconceived notions about the low prices.

In the last month i have listened to several products that have blown me away and their prices did not reflect the great music i was hearing. One being TWL and the other being GoldenEar Triton speakers.

A little story about the GoldenEar speakers. I was on my way home from a KEF dealer listening to the 700`s and returning a pair of LS50`s that were loaned to me. I wanted to give the LS50 a fair shake to see if i had missed something from the first time i owned them, the second time in my home just confirmed what i thought about them the first time. I stopped by a shop that i had never been in before, i was looking at the GoldenEar speakers, knew nothing about them never saw them at any shows and never read any reviews. The sales person asked me if i would like to hear them, i said sure why not. The first speaker was the 2 tower, man i was blown away, detail, detail, detail, transparent and imaging to the max, just one fine sounding speaker. The next speaker was the 7 it almost sounded the same as the 2 tower just softer in the bass with a little less detail but still excellent.

I had no clue as to what these speakers cost, in my mind considering that i have owned and have heard, speakers priced from 1k to $200,000. The 2 towers i thought would come in at about 10k to 15k, the 7`s at about 5k. When the salesperson told me the prices, 2 towers 3k and the 7`s at $1395.00 my mind kept telling me you did not hear that right but it was true. The 7`s at $1395.00 the pair cannot be touched by any speaker anywhere near it`s price.

Even after more that four decades in audio this old dog is still learning a lesson or two and i freely admit it.

Well i`m sure happy that i trusted you:thmbsp: as i had preconceived notions about the low prices.

In the last month i have listened to several products that have blown me away and their prices did not reflect the great music i was hearing. One being TWL and the other being GoldenEar Triton speakers.

A little story about the GoldenEar speakers. I was on my way home from a KEF dealer listening to the 700`s and returning a pair of LS50`s that were loaned to me. I wanted to give the LS50 a fair shake to see if i had missed something from the first time i owned them, the second time in my home just confirmed what i thought about them the first time. I stopped by a shop that i had never been in before, i was looking at the GoldenEar speakers, knew nothing about them never saw them at any shows and never read any reviews. The sales person asked me if i would like to hear them, i said sure why not. The first speaker was the 2 tower, man i was blown away, detail, detail, detail, transparent and imaging to the max, just one fine sounding speaker. The next speaker was the 7 it almost sounded the same as the 2 tower just softer in the bass with a little less detail but still excellent.

I had no clue as to what these speakers cost, in my mind considering that i have owned and have heard, speakers priced from 1k to $200,000. The 2 towers i thought would come in at about 10k to 15k, the 7`s at about 5k. When the salesperson told me the prices, 2 towers 3k and the 7`s at $1395.00 my mind kept telling me you did not hear that right but it was true. The 7`s at $1395.00 the pair cannot be touched by any speaker anywhere near it`s price.

Even after more that four decades in audio this old dog is still learning a lesson or two and i freely admit it.

I must admit..the GoldenEar showed me something I did not realize about myself. When they first came out...my dealer dropped his Definitive Technology brand in favor of GoldenEar and I hated them. It was the sock. I wanted wood grain, so I never gave them a chance. After a while, having heard them for the umpth teen time, I realized my bias. I was shown to be an audio snob. I realized I had held the GoldenEar in contempt due to the sock....I was acting like the same thing I had accused others of being ...a audio snob. So I began to listen every time I went over my dealers house...glad I did, because the speaker is really outstanding! As I said before, that Triton One Tower which retails for $5k is priced at $5k because It has a sock and not wood grain. If it had wood grain no way the GoldenEar is had at those prices. You've made a very wise choice. It will pay off in a very nice reference sound.

RH, very good on the power cord, enjoy! Also as to the Golden Ears, I think they are a very balanced, good sounding speaker. Like Slippers, I too had a bit of preconceived audio snobbery concerning them, but they certainly are very good.

So much is typically made over their tweeter that the rest of the speaker is kind of left not talked about, but certainly just a well balanced product top to bottom. Enjoy!

Some attached photos of the LM 518 and the GoldenEar tower Two Tritons.

So far i`m happy with the speakers in my home, without trying to describe them in words i would say their sound is somewhere between a Harbeth 30.1 and the 40.1 but without the cabinets. I`m still playing with placement.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
Nice! Congrats on your new system!

Thanks, i`m sure having fun. These speakers take a little dialing in but after about six hours of listening i`m confident i have their position nailed. The proper separation between the speakers makes a huge difference along with proper toe in. Now i will sit back and enjoy.:thmbsp:

I take it that the subs is what you have dialed in?....the Triton One Tower is so powerful and dynamic, you need no toe in. Sound stage is outstanding. Are you much into tweaking?

I take it that the subs is what you have dialed in?....the Triton One Tower is so powerful and dynamic, you need no toe in. Sound stage is outstanding. Are you much into tweaking?

Spacing and toe in, the bass is easy with the control on the back. I started with 7ft between the speakers then 8ft. then at 9ft. the soundstage just bloomed along with an increase in detail and focus, i tried 10 ft. but lost what i had gained at 9ft. for my room it seems to be the best, i have them toed in so they are aimed at each ear.

I bought these off Audiogon second hand, they are in mint condition. The seller had just bought the one towers and i was able to hear the "ones" for the first time for about five minutes and what i heard was impressive.

Spacing and toe in, the bass is easy with the control on the back. I started with 7ft between the speakers then 8ft. then at 9ft. the soundstage just bloomed along with an increase in detail and focus, i tried 10 ft. but lost what i had gained at 9ft. for my room it seems to be the best, i have them toed in so they are aimed at each ear.

I bought these off Audiogon second hand, they are in mint condition. The seller had just bought the one towers and i was able to hear the "ones" for the first time for about five minutes and what i heard was impressive.

I also have my Vento's 9ft apart and I sit 9 ft back. No toe in on the Cantons.

Yes, the Triton one is a very impressive speaker. I am going over dealers today.... he has a Sophia integrated amp driving the Tower Ones...should be interesting.

I also have my Vento's 9ft apart and I sit 9 ft back. No toe in on the Cantons.

Yes, the Triton one is a very impressive speaker. I am going over dealers today.... he has a Sophia integrated amp driving the Tower Ones...should be interesting.

The ones are supposed to be incredible.

What i`m finding out about the two`s is that they are so natural in tone, there is none of the added zing that so many manufactures add to mimic detail and transparentness. With listening time i appreciate what they are capable of.

Hi KT77

TWL is better to type lol.

I have always believed in upgrading power cords. The issue i see is that one has to take a leap of faith, i personally have not found and to be honest had given up on trying to find a power cord in the $100, $200, $300 price range that made a sonic improvement. They might look better but that is about it. So i understand why some who have bought these cords are non believers in power cords making an improvement in sonics and were unwilling to take that leap into the 1k and 2k and above cables which do make sonic improvements.

This is why i was hesitant at first with a TWL purchase, been there done that with the lower priced cables. But after conversation with Pete and Bryon and TWL`s 30 day money back trial period i thought what the heck.

TWL has found something that works at a price point that most can enjoy, i do not know what it is and i don`t care. The improvements in sonics between the stock power cord and the TWL power cord is profound with the 518, not sure if the change would be so profound with all equipment as the 518 knows when anything is changed, tubes, interconnects, speaker cable ect. will make a noticeable change in it`s sonic signature.

Being retired i listen to music an average of 5-7 hours a day, it also gives me time to audition lots of equipment in shops and home with equipment that i`m allowed to bring home. I have had the best DAC`s, CD players, and HiRez players at my home and nothing has improved the sound as much as the TWL 7+ power cord, like i said best $500 i have ever spent in audio.

Hi RH67,

Forgive me for being late to the party, as I've been researching into the different methods of installing a server and NAS into our home in a few months, so didn't think to check back in, my bad.

But as I've told those whom trust my ears/senses over the years, yes it comes down to synergy, but how does one go about voicing their systems, if they're not willing to understand one key factor - everything as it relates to audio, make a difference, even little weird things like placing coins or wooden disc on ones walls or isolation feet, as well as knowing our surroundings aren't as quiet as we think, where devices like the Entech Noise Analyzer shows up just how noisy our rooms outlets and systems are - which then leads to devices like Audioprism QuietLines or in my case Isotek Systems Evo 3 Neoplug's where I'm able to clearly hear larger shifts in dynamics as well as a new founded purity to the notes themselves.

So trust me, I'm with you, and having discovered these power cords awhile back, I'm more then happy to see/hear that are in fact gaining a decent and well deserved following - Pete like Chip and Art over at Cable Research Lab all seem to have very very very good ears and voicing skills, to which I for one appreciate more then most.

So, like you........., I'm sold on what I'm hearing, as opposed to not trusting my own senses, and ratter sit on the fence knocking items, I've never heard in my own system, as my saying remains " hearing, is believing ", and with these two brands, I'm a proud believer I might add.

Enjoy the Music, as it was intented to be heard - open mindedly.

Peace,
o_Oh

Oscar, how is the research going for your NAS? Still haven't gotten mine put together and configured, might be a bit yet....

Back to the TWL etc.

Oscar, how is the research going for your NAS? Still haven't gotten mine put together and configured, might be a bit yet....

Back to the TWL etc.

Hi Tim,

I've decided to go with one of the Synology NAS versions w/. 4 Bays using x4 WD 1.0 TB Red Drives. Yes, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the entire concept of how to install all of the needed parts - so have asked Dave ( boytrytis ) to come up and assist me with it after the new year, so there's hope.

Take care as always Tim.

Now back to our sponsor........TWL.

Back
Top Bottom