Yamaha NS-690 questions...

Yamaha~Josh

Hi y'all. I'll repost this thread here sence I couldn't gain any traction in the other subsection.

I own a pair of NS-690IIs and I have some questions about them.

1. Are all/most of the Yamaha ns690s and ns1000 drivers interchangeable?

2. would it be a good idea to invest in something like this: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Yamaha-NS1000.htm#The
since I plan to do a recap anyway? I might as well go the whole 9..

3. I plan on saving up for a Rouge Audio Cronus integrated tube amp.( my HK3490 isn't cutting it for me....I want tube sound and better dynamics). My question is; will the 55w/ch Cronus supply my ns690s with enough juice(they say the entry-level Cronus is underrated for its power) or should I get the Cronus-Magnum?? ..which is 90w/ch for around 2k.

Thank you guys in advance:)

The NS-690's has a totally different crossover than the NS-1000's..

ok ..so thats a no for question 2.

:scratch2: ...but ..what about my first question, are the drivers interchangeable?

and chime away at my third question, if you please.

I think physically the tweeters & woofers are the same size-just different materials.NS1000 midrange will not physically fit into a 690 cabinet without modification of the cabinet opening.
I've never heard of "Rouge Audio Cronos"..Maybe someone else will pipe in with a little more insight.

I have NS-690's , NS-1000M's and NS-1000's..

I think physically the tweeters & woofers are the same size-just different materials.NS1000 midrange will not physically fit into a 690 cabinet without modification of the cabinet opening.
I've never heard of "Rouge Audio Cronos"..Maybe someone else will pipe in with a little more insight.

I have NS-690's , NS-1000M's and NS-1000's..

ah.. I see. thanks for the info.

Why would you want to modify working NS-690s ? They're pretty good & neutral speakers.

well, I know of a dude who is selling ns1000 drivers.

One of my base drivers has a rubbing voice coil. I got a quote for a recone job at a local shop here and wasn't too satisfied with the price. and it was just for one driver. I think I'd rather just swap out both drivers at once to keep a uniform sound.

So Martin, have any thoughts on the Cronus?

If i were you I'd purchase the NS-1000 drivers and build new cabinets and crossovers,
keep the 690s because they also sound so good.
As to the woofer while playing a bass tone, I'd attempt to find out where the rub occurs by applying pressure(pulling the cone edge in the direction away from center) and figure where the rub gets worse or disappears as you work your way around.
Then:), find a solvent and gently loosen the offending area and recenter the surround and glue.

No Cronus thoughts. I have Yamaha Gear and I suspect a 55wpc tube amp isn't going to sound better than a VFet Yamaha Amp.

If i were you I'd purchase the NS-1000 drivers and build new cabinets and crossovers,.

Yes. That's an OK for your option 2, then. Troels is well-respected in the loudspeaker DIY community.

Chances are that you will be able to pick up an original cabinet, too.

The NS-690 tweeter is the same size as the NS-1000M tweeter. I used a 690 tweeter in a 1000 cab while waiting for a Be replacement. The gain is different however so I don't think you could simply sub a Be tweeter into a 690 cabinet without changing the crossover.

I did a full recap of my NS-690s with high quality mundorf CAPs and swapped the tweeters with the Be tweets from NS-1000s.

The Be tweets sound great in the 690s. I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with the original tweeters, but the Be tweets are a bit clearer in the cymbals than the original tweets were. It's hard to explain, but with the Be tweets, the cymbals sound metallic like they're supposed to.

IMHO, it's worth swapping the tweeters if you have a set to put in.

Incidentally, perhaps the best sounding recording I've heard to demonstrate this is John Mayer's Where the Light Is 2005 Bluray. "Out of my Mind" is my favourite track. That drum set (and cymbals) is in the room with me.

Last edited:
If i were you I'd purchase the NS-1000 drivers and build new cabinets and crossovers,
keep the 690s because they also sound so good.
As to the woofer while playing a bass tone, I'd attempt to find out where the rub occurs by applying pressure(pulling the cone edge in the direction away from center) and figure where the rub gets worse or disappears as you work your way around.
Then:), find a solvent and gently loosen the offending area and recenter the surround and glue.

Well I don't have enough to buy all the drivers, but thanks for the diagnosis procedure.. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

No Cronus thoughts. I have Yamaha Gear and I suspect a 55wpc tube amp isn't going to sound better than a VFet Yamaha Amp.

yeah probably so but I'd be willing to bet the 90watt magnum would beat the Vfet amps.

I used a 690 tweeter in a 1000 cab while waiting for a Be replacement. The gain is different however so I don't think you could simply sub a Be tweeter into a 690 cabinet without changing the crossover.

Hmmm.. maybe, maybe not worth it but after reading belgianbrain's post I'm kinda tempted to try.

Ok guys don't bash me on this one..

What do you guys think about these as replacments for the base driver of my 690s? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-914:eek:
..for the sale price it might be worth an experiment, huh?

The NS690 MkI woofers are different in that they have a vent hole in the center of the dustcap, I am pushing my NS690mkI's with a pair of wurlitzer 2x6L6 pp amps that are 20-30 watts each so the Audio Cronus should be fine unless you are in a huge room.
Regards,
Jim

Well, I've made my mind up. I think I'll just try and find some replacement base drivers and also try and get some Be tweeters. I'll also be on the lookout for 1000s but I ain't gonna hold my breath for 'em.

ehoove, its good to know your 20-30 watters can push your 690s really well.
the Cronus has 55 ..but I think I'll still be getting the 90watt Magnum.

I also plan to do a full recap. any suggestions on good caps, will Dayton caps suffice in Yamaha speakers?

Well seems to me I would just go on the auction site and look for some new bass drivers if Tubes idea doesn't fix your problem. You might just want to buy some new surrounds and replace them and make sure you center your voice coil to the motor.

Now somewhere I have a pair of crossovers for the NS1000m's, I don't have any use for them and they are in my house in Florida, if you do at some point get the be drivers give me a shout, and I will look for them. But if you change the crossovers than you will need to also change out all the drivers not just the tweeters. If you can't get your 690s fix or find any new bass drivers, I would just dump them and look for a nice pair of the 1000m's I think you will find them a much better pair of speakers. Also the 500m's sound pretty good, they come with a be hi frequency driver, just not quite as good as the 1000m's and their crossovers are not quite as good either, but off all the speakers, the NS500m's are the next best ones to the 1000m's.

Edit; I recall when I purchased those crossovers, they are really a piece of workmanship, they used a row of pretty good size capacitors rather than use one big one. Its all in one neat package very well executed.

Last edited:
xover

hi i know this is an old thread but if the 1000 crossovers are still available i am very interested. i have almost all the parts for a pair of 1000s :)

taken quite a while because of budget.

Back
Top Bottom